Pre-owned tri bike options

Hello, wondering if anyone can help provide some direction. I’ve been riding a Cannondale Slice 105 for races the past few years, but have never really loved it. Picked it up in an emergency after my Cervelo p2 died in a wreck. I don’t have the budget for a new top end type of bike, but want to take a step up bc I’m close to winning my age group in local races. Two I’ve come across are older but I’m considering and are about $2500.

2015 Cervelo P5 w Dura Ace di2 - used really only for races and pre-race prep rides.

2018 Ventum One SRAM Red - looks more heavily used but has been fully serviced. $300 more than the Cervelo.

Never ridden a Ventum, had a Cervelo p2 when I did my IMs and 70.3s and loved it.

Any thoughts?

My 0.02 since I also updated from an old Cannondale slice.

Just note, if your position is imitated to your new bike, you probably won’t be noticeably faster on a new bike. Although you don’t mention wheel spec differences between exiting/new bikes.

I went from a 2011 slice to 2023 cervelo pseries, same position exactly and the delta is maybe 0.2 mph for similar power at my threshold pace tt. On less than threshold power/lower speeds, I don’t think the cervelo is necessarily always faster.

Getting the new bike will allow you to maybe leverage updated design features like storage, disc brakes maybe, etc…but unless your position is changing for the better or your wheel spec is being upgraded, those frames will not be much faster, if at all, than your cannondale. Groupset does not really affect speed of the bike. Weight, I know, but weight doesn’t matter much.

Pending your current wheel setup, getting an upgraded set of wheels on your slice is probably your easiest path to speed gains. Unless you just want the new bike anyways, which is fine! Haha.

Thanks! This is a great comparison since you were on the slice as well. I’ve never felt the slice fit me correctly, I had to get something in a pinch and that was what was available. I did upgrade wheels when I bought it, but at this stage, I think it’s more about fitting better on the bike I’ll be riding. Thank you!

Thanks! This is a great comparison since you were on the slice as well. I’ve never felt the slice fit me correctly, I had to get something in a pinch and that was what was available. I did upgrade wheels when I bought it, but at this stage, I think it’s more about fitting better on the bike I’ll be riding. Thank you!
I will second PBT_2009 excellent remarks. Getting the cockpit of those newer bikes to properly fit you will cost a ton more money than modifying your current bike.

The fact that you loved the P2 and don’t like the Slice is quite puzzling: in fact, their geometries overlap quite well; possibly it’s more a matter of cockpit and/or saddle set up

What are your wants/needs for the new bike? Is this purely for speed or also for enjoyment and comfort? Do you want disc brakes? Electronic shifting? Do you currently ride a disc wheel? What’s your position look like?

Yes, I had read they were great with adjusting, but overall I think the issue is the frame is too small. I picked it up quickly out of necessity and have done my best to adjust as much as I can.

I’m trying to squeeze every bit of speed I can without breaking the bank, bc the bank is limited lol. I’m tired of finishing 2nd and 3rd, need that first place. I’ve figured the electronic shifting could add some benefit in keeping my cadence in line, areo position is pretty good, not a pro but I’m by no means upright. Tucked pretty well. I haven’t added a disc wheel bc I’ve read the time savings is minimal unless you’re doing long distance. I’m competing at Olympic distance. If I do a half or im, I’m doing it more to do it than racing. Been intrigued by the 1x11 option bc my races are rolling hills without complicated cornering.

Yes, I had read they were great with adjusting, but overall I think the issue is the frame is too small. I picked it up quickly out of necessity and have done my best to adjust as much as I can.

This makes sense: my assuption was that the Slice was the same size of the P2

I’ve had a P5-6 for past 10 years and loved it. It’s a very fast bike if you can handle the aggressive position. If you liked the P2, the P5 option gets my vote if it’s a 6 and not the 3. BTW, if you are mainly doing OLYs, and you want to win your age group, a disc rear WILL make you faster.