Plantar Fasciitis - Hoka shoes a solution?

Help please, I’ve had plantar fasciitis in my left foot for 7 months. I thought I was getting over it, and started increasing my training, but it came back with a vengeance and I’m sidelined from running again. I’m doing all I can with ART, and night boots etc.

I’ve gone from wanting to train hard for a pb at a 70.3 in July and Challenge in August this year, but now I’m looking at just wanting to finish in decent shape. I don’t want w/d from either of these races. At least my swim and bike workouts are coming along.

I’ve been reading up on Hoka shoes. I’m wondering if these might help me get back to running without long term damage?

Does anybody have any experience with Hokas and plantar fasciitis or any training suggestions to help get me through?

I had a horrible one and after doctors, gait analysis, expensive orthotics, etc, it just went away after I dramatically decreased the amount of running (forcing me to start lifting weights and more of the other stuff). So my experience is that ‘external helpers’ (orthotics/shoes/etc) will not make a difference. Yes, continue with stretches and all that of course. YMMV. Hope you recover fast!!!

No. Despite their huge cushioning, the Hoka’s have minimal drop (like 4-5mm). That’s gonna tighten up your calves and pf even more if you’re not used to it. Most trainers are 8-11mm, and that’s probably what you’re used to. Going to a lower drop shoe will likely aggravate the pf.

I would try to get gait analysis done and find out what kind of shoe you really need, then keep up with the massage and pt. On top of that just foam roll a ton and, massage the foot with a ball, and continue strengthening calves and arches.

What he said.

I have battled PF many times over the last 25 years. While I like Newtons, they are not what you want to be running in if you are experiencing PF problems. They require the PF to stretch more than traditional running shoes. The same would be the case with Hokas.

The best defense against PF, IMHO, is a night splint. I also found greatly reducing my speed helped. Speed kills. Good luck. Don’t quit.

No. Despite their huge cushioning, the Hoka’s have minimal drop (like 4-5mm). That’s gonna tighten up your calves and pf even more if you’re not used to it. Most trainers are 8-11mm, and that’s probably what you’re used to. Going to a lower drop shoe will likely aggravate the pf.

I would try to get gait analysis done and find out what kind of shoe you really need, then keep up with the massage and pt. On top of that just foam roll a ton and, massage the foot with a ball, and continue strengthening calves and arches.

Thanks for the advice. I’m getting desperate to get back on the trail with the weather finally getting nice!

I definitely don’t want to aggravate this more than I already have or lengthen the healing time.

i can only speak to my own experience and the answer is yes

i had it dec through to march of this year - pain after every run and was beginning to fear for my season

bought a pair much to the mirth of my PT who trashed these “gimmicks”- quite literally within two weeks the pain was gone,

i continued with the stretching and the ice bottles etc to be sure but i am convinced these did the trick

do start off on shorter runs as they may trash your calves - ease your way into the shoe as they shove you forward ever so slightly

i wear them for all my longer and recovery runs - they are not quick however and go back to my nimbus for speed work

I was experiencing PF pain in my right foot when I was running in motion control shoes. Due to knee pain I worked on foot, ankle, hip, and core strength. I also switched to a minimal shoe and haven’t had PF issues since. I was also using a harder ball a bit bigger than a golf ball to massage my PF.
Even if you don’t switch to minimal shoes the foot strengthening, PF massage, and some barefoot running in grass with focus on form might help.

I have had PF in my left foot for nearly 2 years. I have done PT 3 times. I ended up with a calcaneal stress fracture after getting a cortisone injection last summer and spent a good amount of time in a boot. Even with all that time off, being in a boot and then not running for months the PF didn’t go away. So rest doesn’t heal it. Anyway, I too became somewhat desperate and bought a pair of Newtons and a pair of Hokas. I started out very slowly. The shoes has neither hurt nor helped my case. It has stayed the same. Of course I only run 15 mpw right now. Actually on Wednesday I had PRP. So I’m on crutches till tomorrow and I go back in the boot. I’m hopeful the PRP will help my PF heal. If it does heal then I may go back to the Brooks Adrenalines. But then again, I was wearing the Adrenalines when I got PF so I don’t know what to do about the shoes. I can keep you updated on the PRP. I hear it may take 12 weeks or more to get complete relief.

jami

It is only the last few months that I dare to say that I am over my plantar fasciitis. I had it for about 3 years on and off.
The last stage of my treatment I decided to go minimal with the shoes (Nike free) and I can say it was very successful. But I started using the minimal shoes gradually only after I felt my pain is under control. At the beginning I used them only for walking 1 or 2 miles each time and only then started running with them gradually increasing millage. I believe that this is what finally made my feet stronger to get rid of the heel pain.
There is a good post on running and plantar fasciitis in this link with some more ideas for runners.

I have it for 4 months now and I just started easy running a month ago. Did a lot of things that you’ll find everywhere about PF. I “was” always a Newton guy but now I alternate Hoka and VIrrata and it seems to be working. Also, I started with Barry P run training (1/2/3 plan). I cannot say that I’m 100% healed because I still feel it once in a while but overall I’m doing so much better than 2 months ago. I also like the night splint I bought on Ebay (cheaper than anywhere).

Sounds like you and I got PF at the same time. I highly recommend ART (Active Release Techniques). I should have gone sooner. I am not fully healed but back to running relatively pain free.

I did try the Hoka’s for a day. They felt great - I could walk around pain free but it coincided with my first ART session. The ART practitioner recommended that I maintain my same shoes while being treated so I returned the Hoka’s. I am intrigued by the shoe as it was very comfortable and may be something I consider at an older age (currently 43).

One more thing, You may want to try superfeet insoles also for road running and every day walking. I have two sets I switch around. The only time I don’t wear them is when I trail run. I feel susceptible to ankle turns in them. They really seem to add better cushion and support.

Hope some of this helps.

I have had PF in my left foot for nearly 2 years. I have done PT 3 times. I ended up with a calcaneal stress fracture after getting a cortisone injection last summer and spent a good amount of time in a boot. Even with all that time off, being in a boot and then not running for months the PF didn’t go away. So rest doesn’t heal it. Anyway, I too became somewhat desperate and bought a pair of Newtons and a pair of Hokas. I started out very slowly. The shoes has neither hurt nor helped my case. It has stayed the same. Of course I only run 15 mpw right now. Actually on Wednesday I had PRP. So I’m on crutches till tomorrow and I go back in the boot. I’m hopeful the PRP will help my PF heal. If it does heal then I may go back to the Brooks Adrenalines. But then again, I was wearing the Adrenalines when I got PF so I don’t know what to do about the shoes. I can keep you updated on the PRP. I hear it may take 12 weeks or more to get complete relief.

jami

I hope you get some relief soon!

Thanks again folks! I’ve tried, or I’m trying all the things you’ve mentioned. Night splint, Straussberg sock, foam rolling, golf balls, compression socks, ART, massage, icing, heat, stretching, and superfeet in all my shoes. It takes time above all else to get past this, that’s what I’m learning. Unfortunately I’m running out of time to get quality miles in before a 70.3 the first week of July, and then Challenge 140.6 in Penticton in August.

I was thinking the Hokas with the extreme cushioning might help cushion and ease the pain on the days the PF acting up, and I have a run scheduled. It was a pair of Newtons that contributed to me getting PF in the first place, so I won’t be trying them again any time soon. I don’t have a problem with other low drop types of shoes like the Kinvaras. My goal is to get into the Kinvara, but I think what I need right now is the cushioning to help me ease into to some longer runs. I might try the Hokas on for fit just to see how much they absorb the foot strike.

If that doesn’t work, I will just scrap the year, sucks but I don’t want to risk turning PF into a chronic thing because of abuse. At least Challenge has a decent refund policy. Good Luck to all you fellow PF sufferers!

Not to hijack the thread, but I’ve had PF for a year now. Nothing seems to help so I’m scheduled for PRP next week. Just curious what your experience with it was…was it painful? What were you told is the expected recovery time/time off? Is everyone on crutches and a boot after? Thanks! Hope it has helped you!

I don’t like needles. And I have small roly poly veins, so getting enough blood out of my arm was not fun. They numbed my foot. The numbing part kinda hurt and then the fascia doesn’t really get all the way numb so you can feel some burning from the lidocaine. Lidocaine was mixed in with the platelets. My doctor has all PF patients and Achilles Tendon patients go on crutches for 72 hours to avoid rupture. I transitioned into the boot this morning and it hurt a bit. I still can’t really put weight on it, so I’m still crutching some. He told me at the 6 week mark I might be 30-40 % better. But it should take a good 12 weeks to heal. I’m scared to say this, but I think I feel the telltale signs of PF in my good foot! So I’m already rolling it on a ball.

I just tried a pair of hokas at the Boston expo. They do feel cushy, and a bit clunky. I believe the guys said it’s a 4mm drop, so similar to the kinvaras. I think they might help, but are certainly not a solution. Also the are quite pricey so it is a bit of an investment. Good luck.

I developed PF in September 2012. Morning pain was 7/10 on my random pain scale (3/10 on my wife’s scale, but that’s a different thread). I stopped running, missed Beach2Battleship Half, and just rested and stretched for several weeks. Pain went down to 5/10.

I did ART 2x/week for the four weeks of January with a skilled physical therapist. Also stretched and rolled on golf ball and iced water bottle — pain down to 3/10 but still there.

Started running again in February — training for SYR 70.3 — and changed to Hokas. I find the Hokas to be immensely helpful given my age and goals (50 yrs, injury prevention > speed).

By mid-April my weekly miles had increased a bunch, as did my PF morning pain — back to 5/10. That said, I’d almost certainly be down and out if not for the Hokas.

This past week I started wearing a PF boot at night. To my great surprise the morning pain is now totally gone. Seriously, like magic. I ran 9 miles yesterday, felt the PF pain coming on that afternoon, but had no pain at all this morning after removing the boot.

I hope the boot and stretching continue to work for me, but seems that PF is very unpredictable in how it comes and how it goes. And I strongly suggest giving the Hokas a try — The Tri Shop has a No Questions Asked return policy.

Agreed. In fact, although I love Hokas and Newtons for the right time, I think both of them would worsen PF or prolong it

Go to your local running store, get fitted for shoes and then buy a pair of super feet orthotics. That will help a ton, honestly.

here’s the best thing about trying the hokas. you have a 60 day trial period so if the shoes dont work you can return them, no questions asked.

I would try some heel lifts in your work shoes. You have to wear them all the time and you have to wear shoes all the time (even at night in the house). I used “heel-that-pain” lifts and it took about 3 weeks to see a noticeable difference. It is worth a try and is a cheap solution.

I have no affiliation with the website or the product.