People married a while, how’s the conversation between you two?

Been married 15 years. We have a 6 and 8 year old. When me and my wife are alone together we don’t have much to talk about besides our kids and work. Is this common? We have a great relationship but not a lot to say lately. How about you all?

Is it sad we might have to resort to some corporate ice breakers??? lol

27 years. Kids are out of the house. We still like each other a lot. It has been fun.

Conversation ebbs and flows. Some days we have a lot to say and other days we just sit around, not talking.

I’ve been trying to stay off my phone when I am around her. It gets too easy to just ignore the other person while scrolling.

We have started going out to eat and sitting at the bar in restaurants. There is something about eating at the bar that she just loves. Every time we do it, we talk a bunch and she tells me how much fun she had. I need to keep that going.

We’re going on 23 years. DINKS. And introverts. And best friends. We have unwritten rules that help keep us out of your situation. Example: We sit down together at the dinner table, even if we’re not eating. No electronics. Then we’ll let conversation flow. But, since we are ridiculously comfortable with each other, we get an inherent joy out of just sitting there, not talking, and enjoying being in the same room together. Most nights, once chores are over, she’ll retreat to her sitting place. Me to mine. Most of the time, we get socially exhausted at our jobs. We appreciate the bliss of a nice, quiet evening in with no expectations.

Been married 31 years. No kids. He is retired and I am still full time. We talk a far amount and mostly it is good. Mostly about my sucky job, the dog( a new rescue) and his golf game. He takes naps and I am always tired.
Hopefully when I retire in a year, the convo will improve.
Takes alot of work, on both sides. I am in counseling to help me be more accepting of myself.

Married for 11 years. We have a 3yo and a 5yo, so obviously, we talk about our kids a lot. But we also talk about plenty of other stuff.
The news, where to go on vacation, stuff we read, stuff at work. But we did acknowledge that when we go on a date, we need to stop spending it
talking about the kids :wink:

Been married 15 years. We have a 6 and 8 year old. When me and my wife are alone together we don’t have much to talk about besides our kids and work. Is this common? We have a great relationship but not a lot to say lately. How about you all?

A 6 and 8 year old and you both have jobs. That is quite a bit when you add in all the chores to keep a household together. Once our kids flew the coop we had more to say again. My wife asks me more questions about her job and given we have the same job it helps. She also has a couple of volunteer board positions so that supplies material to talk about. Then there is family stuff. My mother in law supplies lots of material.

Married 35 years. We went out of town this weekend and that always leads to a lot of conversations. Our kids are out of the house but we have two grandsons, 3 dogs, and a cat. Most of our conversations take place when we are eating a meal. She goes to bed early and I get on the bike so not a lot of talk during the week but we do talk quite a bit on the weekend. Right now a lot of the conversation is about the house we’re building and furnishing it.

There have been ebbs and flows over the years, but overall, it’s not bad. We still enjoy each other’s company. Actually, today we were talking about people who work with their spouses and spend virtually all of their time together. Both of us said there is no way we could do that, partially because we would run out of things to say.

Married 48 years. Both retired. Still talk to each other, alot. But we are both also comfortable with silence. Which is also important. Like yesterday, we drove over an hour to watch a grandson play soccer. No radio. We never listen to a radio, we chat. We do a lot together. Workout in the early morning together. Drive most places together. Walk together. We talk about all kinds of things.

Married 22 years. Two kids 19 and 20. Most of our conversations are work or kid related. Though the conversations about kids has changed as they’ve reached adulthood. My wife has finally accepted trying to plan anything with both kids is almost impossible. But we chit chat about all kinds of off the wall topics. Something that comes up on one of our news feeds, a goofy instagram post, who knows. But we’re also comfortable with silence between us, doesn’t always mean someone is mad or otherwise upset if we’re not talking.

Married 24 years. Kids in college. Some days there is a ton of talking, other days very little. Both are good.

Been married 15 years. We have a 6 and 8 year old. **When me and my wife are alone together **we don’t have much to talk about besides our kids and work. Is this common? We have a great relationship but not a lot to say lately. How about you all?

We talk about grammar. You could try that. :wink:

Pretty much the same here. Honestly most of the time I avoid talking to my wife because it just turns into a bitchfest about her co-workers or how this or that is inconveniencing her.

In my experience this is normal. As they get older the details will change but kids will dominate most discussions until long after they are married and gone from the house. The trick is to slowly shift interest along the way so you still have things in common when you are no longer thinking about your kids 24/7.

We are coming up on 41 years married. Our kids are married and gone years ago, but no grandchildren, yet. We drove around Saturday together for about 3 hours, going to farm stands. We talked about her mother (The only living parent) and her situation, then the wonderful weather and lousy traffic. Finally we discussed our streaming shows and some fall tasks that we both have to accomplish.

Because of what I did in the military we have never discussed my work. That continues to this day. In fact, after I retired and we moved to Long Island, my son was in his first day of class in a new school, far removed from the military kid centric schools he had attended. The teacher asked where he was coming from and he said his dad had retired from the Navy and they had moved from Virginia Beach. She then asked what I had done in the Navy. He told her that he thought the Navy might have been a front for the CIA and he thought his dad probably did wet work for them.

Interesting call from the teacher that evening. After I told her that I had been assigned to submarines tasked with special objectives and we weren’t allowed to discuss that with anyone, I realized that my family had no idea what I had done for 20 years, and probably never would, and that didn’t really bother me.

Been married 15 years. We have a 6 and 8 year old. **When me and my wife are alone together **we don’t have much to talk about besides our kids and work. Is this common? We have a great relationship but not a lot to say lately. How about you all?

Ouch, but yeah

He told her that he thought the Navy might have been a front for the CIA and he thought his dad probably did wet work for them.

Interesting call from the teacher that evening.

Ha!

I would have played that call for all it’s worth.

“Yes, I worked on submarines. Mostly exiting them in scuba gear, with a rifle and some C4 strapped to my back for later. So, how’s Johnny doing in English class? Anything…or anybody… I should be concerned about?”

Ouch, but yeah

I’ve heard John McWhorter cover this at least a couple of times, but I can’t remember the details. I believe his take was it’s only wrong because we’re taught it is wrong in school, but as far as how English and many other languages function there’s nothing wrong with using me instead of I in these situations. In other words if at some point we didn’t have grammarians who decided how English should work, no one would consider this bad grammar because it works perfectly well.

Ouch, but yeah

I’ve heard John McWhorter cover this at least a couple of times, but I can’t remember the details. I believe his take was it’s only wrong because we’re taught it is wrong in school, but as far as how English and many other languages function there’s nothing wrong with using me instead of I in these situations. In other words if at some point we didn’t have grammarians who decided how English should work, no one would consider this bad grammar because it works perfectly well.

U ken sa that abowt lotz uv stuf in langwidj.

We’ve been married for 35 years. For all but a couple of those years we have either worked directly with each other or at least for the same company. We WFH full time now for the same company.

We talk a lot. We know exactly what is going on with each other’s work We know what each other is worried about. Deep conversations about the topic of the day etc. Sometimes we just go for a drive so there are no other distractions.

But not every minute of the day has to be filled with chatter. Sometimes it is OK for both of us to shut up. We have separate office spaces that each of us spend a lot of time in to game, play music, stare blankly, etc.

In the same boat. My wife and I both work from home, and get lunch almost every day. The old trope of married couples sitting on a park bench, people watching makes sense. Its hard to just sit and talk to someone.

At night, my wife and I will do puzzles/legos/etc. together while we watch tv/hangout.

In other words if at some point we didn’t have grammarians who decided how English should work, no one would consider this bad grammar because it works perfectly well.

Fortunately, this is not the case!
Language is effective in communicating because of structure.
AP (or MLA or Chicago) style to the rescue for all.
And because “When me and my wife are alone together” is cringe for so many reasons.

20 years together, childfree, and we have no end of things to talk about: planning our next vacation, our shared hobbies–which include sports and sports gear–our individual hobbies, reviling MAGA idiots, our pets, silly social media pets memes, how to dress for our next training outing based on weather forecast, more about our pets, what bottle of wine to next open, etc.

When the BIL or SIL launch into talking about their kids, I know I can tune out and maybe even go steal a 90’ nap.