Paris Olympics 2024 Triathlon Race Thread

So we’ve got the last race out the way, I’m pretty sure I did the Tokyo thread, so hoping it brings us Brits a bit of luck and a similar or better medal haul this time around.

I’m going to hold off with my final predictions for the moment.

Mens race 30th July.
Women’s race 31st July.
MTR 5th August.

1. Yee 🥇

2. Wilde 🥈

3. Bergere 🥉

4. GTB 🥇

5. Potter 🥈

6. Lombardi 🥉

This is what I’m going with for now, my Golds and Silvers are locks, my Bronzes will possibly change as for me there’s at least another 5 athletes in the running.

Can’t wait for this one, so being lazy here, where do I watch it live? I have the triathlon live channel, did they get the olympic contract too?? I know swimming and other sports are on Peacock, maybe there???

And for the womens, going with a bit unorthodox pick here in:

Cassandra

Knibb

Tersch

I’m of course thinking of a break of some sort that eventually gets caught on the run, but Knibb survives for podium…Some part possibility, most parts hopefulness…

1. Wilde 🥇

2. Yee 🥈

3. Pearson 🥉

4. Beaugrand 🥇

5. Potter 🥈

6. Knibb 🥉

Peacock is live streaming all olympic events, so if you have that, you’re set. Don’t see anything mentioned on TriathlonLive.

For $7.99, looks like a great idea to buy one month of Peacock and then cancel.

And in the mens race I do not see the swim firepower needed to force a successful break, missing Luis and DeVay and a few others, so it will be a tame swim which lets Yee, Wilde, and Blu types be just 20 to 35 seconds back. And with those type of guys with their domestics in that 2nd pack, it will close pretty quickly to any early breaks…So with that in mind:

Yee

Wilde

Hauser

So a typical pick except for 3rd, just think the form he showed this weekend running a legit sub 14 5k and beating some very good runners, puts him in the drivers seat so to speak. Nice thing with him is that no matter what the race throws at him, he is lead pack no matter what. Others have to scramble, and sometimes gamble to bring it all together. And there is always that small % the break sticks, which he will no doubt be a driving force in with his superior swim and bike…and now run!!

1. Wilde

2. Yee

3. Hauser

4. Beaugrand

5. Tertsch

6. Knibb

7. France

8. Germany

9. GBR

MTR 5th August. Yes! I just happen to be in Paris that day.

Men

1. Yee
  2. Wilde
  3. Hauser

Women

1. Beaugrand
  2. Potter
  3. Tertsch

Relay

1. France
  2. GB
  3. Germany

I hope I’m wrong about a few things there. I’d love to see Potter win, and both Spivey and Knibb get a relay medal, but these are my “head” picks.

I don’t think Knibb has shown us what she can full do on the bike in an ITU race yet. She won’t hold back in Paris.

Womens

1. Knibb
  2. Beaugrand
  3. Potter

Men

1. Yee
  2. Wilde
  3. Pearson

Although I wouldn’t be too surprised to see KB do something miraculous, seeing as how his team is all about bs-science, there’s no evidence this late in the game to suggest he’s going to be able to rival Alistair for a 2nd gold.

Is anyone looking forward to the mens race more than women’s who isn’t a Kiwi?

It’s interesting about 90% ITU talk on ST is on the women’s.

Race dynamics are more interesting in the women’s field at the moment.

I have a hard time seeing less than half the field in the men’s front back.

Women’s race could have 1-35 in the front group.
And even those in the race have no clue how it’ll play out.

The MTR is really going to be interesting.
I wish there were more relay’s on the calendar.

Agreed, mens race has been so standardised with Yee, Wilde’s dominance, then one of the French fighting for 3rd.

I think this is the most wide open women’s race we’ve had since London.

I don’t think anyone’s going to be really surprised to see either Duffy, GTB, Knibb, Potter, CB or Tertsch win gold.

Maybe another 6 girls all well capable of a medal on a good day.

I don’t think Knibb has shown us what she can full do on the bike in an ITU race yet. She won’t hold back in Paris.

Womens

1. Knibb
  2. Beaugrand
  3. Potter

Men

1. Yee
  2. Wilde
  3. Pearson

Although I wouldn’t be too surprised to see KB do something miraculous, seeing as how his team is all about bs-science, there’s no evidence this late in the game to suggest he’s going to be able to rival Alistair for a 2nd gold.

Pearson :smiley: crying from laughing.

I think he’s got the full package if he can have the day. People will think when he goes early on the run he’s going to fade only to surprise a lot of people. He’ll get reeled in, but I’m thinking he might snag 3rd before he fades too hard.

Womens

1. Knibb
  2. Beaugrand
  3. Potter
    Men
  4. Yee
  5. Wilde
  6. Pearson

Bingo!!! I think Knibb is going to just stand up and motor off at 30 mph and leave all the other women in her dust. I just don’t anyone else can ride with her. I’d say a 4 min lead at T2 and then run home to win by a minute or so. Remember, you read it here first!!!

Hey are they even going to have a swim? I see mayor of Paris went for a dip in the Seine. If they don’t have a swim, what will the format be? 5-40-5?

Bingo!!! I think Knibb is going to just stand up and motor off at 30 mph and leave all the other women in her dust. I just don’t anyone else can ride with her. I’d say a 4 min lead at T2 and then run home to win by a minute or so. Remember, you read it here first!!!

Not sure what that gap will be off the bike, but I suspect by the 2nd or 3rd lap once she’s gotten a feel for the course, she’s going to open things up turning into the quai d’orsay.

Do you think it’s impossible for a dominant cyclist to ride off the front? There might be a small group that catches up to near her eventually, but the bulk will get left behind. We’ll see!

Knibb isn’t riding Duffy off her wheel, maybe Kingma and GTB also and she’d killl herself trying to stay away from them.

Her best option is to try and go with Duffy if she wants to make a break stick, your underestimating some of them women.

Peacock is live streaming all olympic events, so if you have that, you’re set. Don’t see anything mentioned on TriathlonLive.

For $7.99, looks like a great idea to buy one month of Peacock and then cancel.

Reminder to everyone that if you’re unfortunate enough to have xfinity internet (like myself), you may be able to get peacock for free through xfinity rewards.