Parental Support or lack thereof

I was lucky to have parents that were always there for me. I knew if things got rough in whatever way I could count on them. My daughter has been dating a guy for a couple of years now and his parents really don’t do much of anything for him or his brothers beyond a place to live and food. They are all footing all of the cost for college, but recently it went to another level. They are nice enough middle class people but have issues. The mom was convicted of fraud at some point (double charging customer’s credit cards at a restaurant she owned), and the dad is an alcoholic who is now “retired” after getting fired from his job despite being only in his 50s. The mom is making money in some sort of pyramid scheme getting stores to sell some sort of product and she’s now at a level where she has a bunch of people under her doing the selling so just manages them. She could work from anywhere. They’ve just been told they have to be out of their rental by July 1st as it’s been sold. So their plan is to buy an RV and travel the country. This leaves the 3 kids with no where to live until they go back to school in the fall, and their attitude seems to basically be “they’ll figure it out, see you later!”. Daughter’s boyfriend has said he doesn’t know if he’ll ever see them again once they’re gone. Needless to say he’s pretty pissed off and upset by the whole thing. Good chance he’ll end up storing his stuff at our house and living with us on and off.

One of my son’s friends has also said he felt like growing up that him and his siblings were really just inconveniences to his parents who were doing their own thing (both working professionals) and he didn’t understand why they had kids.

What are your experiences, anyone grow up with parents like that?

Did I miss the part where you said the ages of the kids?

Are they teenagers?

No.

We just moved my mom in with us 2 months ago. I love it.

I had a father who was really bad at being a parent and he had wives, all of whom I still hate. It got so bad that he could not afford to feed or care for us so for a few years we lived in an orphanage. That was bad but his wives were worse. So bad that one of my sisters literally left home for good at age 14 to escape the abuse. She had no money and no resources but the streets were better than home.

My father only cared about himself. When we bought our first home, he visited us. But we do not smoke and have never allowed anyone to smoke in or homes. When he realized he would have to smoke on the patio and not in the house he threw a tantrum and never visited again.

I decided not to repeat the pattern. I had to give myself what I did not have as a child. I am the parent that is involved in the lives of my children and now grandchildren. We are very close.

Your daughter’s boyfriend did not choose his parents and he cannot change them. So be the example of what he should strive for.

I am constantly amazed as I go through life. I meet people who come from seemingly great support who are train wrecks, and then people who come from terrible scenarios that are by all accounts well adjusted and great humans/parents. It is a complex formula.

I am constantly amazed as I go through life. I meet people who come from seemingly great support who are train wrecks, and then people who come from terrible scenarios that are by all accounts well adjusted and great humans/parents. It is a complex formula.

I had an employee that could be the poster child of success with no support. His father was in prison, he had 5 siblings, all from different fathers and he ended up being raised by his grandmother. He was the only one that didn’t continue the cycle. He got a scholarship to UofM out of high school but had to drop out when his grandmother passed. He came to work for me as a technician and did an outstanding job. He finished his degree at night and recently left for an engineering job I couldn’t offer him. I couldn’t be more happy for him.

My parents were always there for me, I’m not sure where I would have ended up in his situation.

My parents were there if we needed them, but otherwise they left us to do our thing. They had their own interests. That seemed normal and appropriate for that generation. It’s a huge contrast with the level of involvement of many parents in their kids’ lives today.

I was lucky to have parents that were always there for me. I knew if things got rough in whatever way I could count on them. My daughter has been dating a guy for a couple of years now and his parents really don’t do much of anything for him or his brothers beyond a place to live and food. They are all footing all of the cost for college, but recently it went to another level. They are nice enough middle class people but have issues. The mom was convicted of fraud at some point (double charging customer’s credit cards at a restaurant she owned), and the dad is an alcoholic who is now “retired” after getting fired from his job despite being only in his 50s. The mom is making money in some sort of pyramid scheme getting stores to sell some sort of product and she’s now at a level where she has a bunch of people under her doing the selling so just manages them. She could work from anywhere. They’ve just been told they have to be out of their rental by July 1st as it’s been sold. So their plan is to buy an RV and travel the country. This leaves the 3 kids with no where to live until they go back to school in the fall, and their attitude seems to basically be “they’ll figure it out, see you later!”. Daughter’s boyfriend has said he doesn’t know if he’ll ever see them again once they’re gone. Needless to say he’s pretty pissed off and upset by the whole thing. Good chance he’ll end up storing his stuff at our house and living with us on and off.
One of my son’s friends has also said he felt like growing up that him and his siblings were really just inconveniences to his parents who were doing their own thing (both working professionals) and he didn’t understand why they had kids.

My mom and dad were solid, flawed parents and humans. I’m grateful for their sacrifices and I think they did a great job raising my brothers and me, and I could always count on them, except when I couldn’t.

This is mostly a devil’s advocate response, probably overly kind to your kid’s boyfriend’s parents, and unfair to my own parents. But just for discussion on a Tuesday morning:

parents really don’t do much of anything for him or his brothers beyond a place to live and food. They are all footing all of the cost for college

Sounds baseline adequate, and even generous in re: college, in terms of practical basics. The implication is that they’re not doing much on the emotional/caring front, which is not good. But it’s better than a lot of kids get in this world.

are nice enough middle class people but have issues.

Who doesn’t?

The mom was convicted of fraud at some point (double charging customer’s credit cards at a restaurant she owned

That’s bad. Ethically, morally, and poor example for her kids.

dad is an alcoholic who is now “retired” after getting fired from his job despite being only in his 50s

Also bad, and a poor example for his kids. Maybe I’m biased, but I have more capacity for sympathy for addiction failings than fraud failings. But some addicts don’t seem to help themselves much and don’t care about others at all. I don’t know where on the spectrum the dad you’re describing falls.

mom is making money in some sort of pyramid scheme getting stores to sell some sort of product and she’s now at a level where she has a bunch of people under her doing the selling so just manages them. She could work from anywhere.

Multi-level-marketing stuff is shady to me and not a good example to set IMO - borderline fraudulent. Flip side, ‘supervising a sales team selling product’ is pretty much the job description of countless suburban mid-level sales managers at legit companies all over the world.

They’ve just been told they have to be out of their rental by July 1st as it’s been sold. So their plan is to buy an RV and travel the country.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, if kids are out of the house and there’s been some advance notice to them. Even if there isn’t much advance notice, if the expectation that’s been set with kids is that once you’re in college, we’ll pay for school but otherwise you’re on your own…it’s not the experience I had and it’s a bit “shove them out of the nest”, but I don’t think it’s that uncommon or inherently bad.

This leaves the 3 kids with no where to live until they go back to school in the fall, and their attitude seems to basically be “they’ll figure it out, see you later!”.

Could be super shitty if the expectation (whether explicit or implied) was that the parental nest would always be there to return to if needed. If that wasn’t the expectation once kids are out of high school and off to college or wherever…still not great, but I’m not sure it’s awful parenting either.

Daughter’s boyfriend has said he doesn’t know if he’ll ever see them again once they’re gone. Needless to say he’s pretty pissed off and upset by the whole thing.

“Don’t know if he’ll ever see them again” is pretty messed up. That as much as anything seems like an indicator of lackluster parenting. Some parents may kick kids out of the nest more firmly than others, but I would expect any competent, caring parent to not leave their kids wondering if they’ll ever see them again.

This subject came up with my wife and I recently as we get ready for our first kid who is due this winter.

Our moms are supportive and we wouldn’t hesitate to call them in an emergency. Yet them, or the rest of our family for that matter, really don’t seem to know much about us.

This came up recently when my mother-in-law made a comment about my wife and money. She insinuated that my wife has a low paying hourly job and makes $15-17/hour. When in reality she has a 6-figure salary that comes with huge cash and stock bonuses.

My wife and I ended up having a conversation trying to figure out how normal that is or isn’t. Nobody in our family could likely tell you anything her or I do. Yet, both of us could tell you what all of our parents and siblings do.

I guess it’s just a lack of consideration for others on their part. I can’t imagine that’s normal, but it wasn’t until recently that my wife and I had a long talk trying to figure out how much does our immediate family even really know about us.

I’m sorry for these kids. Hopefully everything will work out for all of them. There are so many people who have similar stories (of all ages). Not sure how we got here.

I am adopted (as is my brother - different families). My mother went through something like 6 miscarriages and one stillbirth before they turned to adoption, so we have always been told/shown that we are very special. Our parents were very involved in our lives (going to my brother’s baseball games, our swim meets, my horses, etc.) My parents had their own things (bowling, card club), but family was #1. They were married nearly 51 years when my mom passed. Thinking back to all of my friends and cousins growing up, everyone had a similar upbringing to mine. It probably wasn’t until I got out of grad school and moved the Bay Area that I met anyone who didn’t have a relationship with their family.

A friend here who is around my age, took in her niece’s girl and her nephew’s boy a good 10-12 years ago (shortly after I moved here, so 2012-13). The niece was on drugs and the nephew went to jail and the kids were going to go to foster care so she stepped in. Best thing that could have ever happened to those kids. They are now great kids, doing well in school here and last year, she formally adopted them (which is what all 3 wanted). The kids got out of BF East Tennessee and has a village who dotes on them.

My wife and I ended up having a conversation trying to figure out how normal that is or isn’t. Nobody in our family could likely tell you anything her or I do. Yet, both of us could tell you what all of our parents and siblings do.

Need more context. What kind of job does your wife have? Is it something many people wouldn’t really know about? My mom never really got what I do - she just knew I worked in a big law firm like on the TV show LA Law. Where I grew up, the only time you needed a lawyer was if you got arrested or divorced and no one had ever gotten arrested or divorced (until my brother).

There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, if kids are out of the house and there’s been some advance notice to them. Even if there isn’t much advance notice, if the expectation that’s been set with kids is that once you’re in college, we’ll pay for school but otherwise you’re on your own…it’s not the experience I had and it’s a bit “shove them out of the nest”, but I don’t think it’s that uncommon or inherently bad.

Again, we can’t really say what’s right or not until we know the age of the kids.

Did I miss the part where you said the ages of the kids?

Are they teenagers?

In college, living at home for the summer.

Need more context. What kind of job does your wife have? Is it something many people wouldn’t really know about? My mom never really got what I do - she just knew I worked in a big law firm like on the TV show LA Law. Where I grew up, the only time you needed a lawyer was if you got arrested or divorced and no one had ever gotten arrested or divorced (until my brother).

Again, we can’t really say what’s right or not until we know the age of the kids.

Manager within an accounting department, but given she didn’t go for an accounting degree, there is no way they’d even realize that’s what she ended up doing. Maybe so much time went by they’d feel bad asking and that’s why it doesn’t come up. Still seems weird and borderline inconsiderate to us, though.

This subject came up with my wife and I recently as we get ready for our first kid who is due this winter.

Our moms are supportive and we wouldn’t hesitate to call them in an emergency. Yet them, or the rest of our family for that matter, really don’t seem to know much about us.

This came up recently when my mother-in-law made a comment about my wife and money. She insinuated that my wife has a low paying hourly job and makes $15-17/hour. When in reality she has a 6-figure salary that comes with huge cash and stock bonuses.

I guess it’s just a lack of consideration for others on their part. I can’t imagine that’s normal, but it wasn’t until recently that my wife and I had a long talk trying to figure out how much does our immediate family even really know about us.

Do you all spend much time with your parents or at least converse regularly? It seems abnormal that they wouldn’t know what kind of jobs you have. How accurate is your parents account of what your siblings do given they are wildly inaccurate about yourself and your wife?

It is quite amazing but I think we notice the exceptions more than the average outcomes or either parental support or neglect.

My parents were there if we needed them, but otherwise they left us to do our thing. They had their own interests. That seemed normal and appropriate for that generation. It’s a huge contrast with the level of involvement of many parents in their kids’ lives today.

That would be my folks. Supportive but they had no idea about what university was all about for example. They were immigrants and it was not part of their orbit. Once I asked for advice and my mom told me I was an adult and she trusted I would make the right decision

Do you all spend much time with your parents or at least converse regularly? It seems abnormal that they wouldn’t know what kind of jobs you have. How accurate is your parents account of what your siblings do given they are wildly inaccurate about yourself and your wife?

Yeah, we speak a few times over the phone and see them all once a month or two. Not to mention daily group text threads.

Without hesitation both my wife and I could tell you the area they work in, their title, and even more specific what they do from what they’ve told us over the years.

My parents were loving nd flawed, alcoholic father who could no longer hold a job in his 50’s, mom w/medical condition. They had the means to own a house, but piled up huge debt and couldn’t help me through college or keep their life going. These parents seem more selfish, but more equally importantly are clearly in more financial difficulty.

My wife was raised by her grandmother because her mom was always with a new boyfriend or husband. When we got married, her mom wasn’t even a part of the ceremony, it was her grandmother. She’s 55 and didn’t know who her father was until she was 51. Truth is, she probably still doesn’t know and was just given a name by her mom to stop the questions, because the guy she said is conveniently dead.

Cut to today. My wife wants a relationship with her mom so she does what she can to make it that way, even to the point of saying she was a good mom to keep her happy. It really pisses off my daughter who knows how my wife was raised. My MIL acts like our grandkids are hers and makes sure she’s in town for all of the holidays. Probably the only reason I’ll ever regret building a house, they will no longer be getting an AirBnB.

My dad really loves my wife as did my mom. To this day, they have always been mom and dad to her. My wife has a tattoo dedicated to my mom, nothing to hers.

My family wasn’t real close growing up. My parents went to the important stuff, but they definitely weren’t helicopter parents. Both worked but we wanted for nothing. We knew we were loved and if we needed something, they would be there.

We are very close to our kids. If they need something, they know they can count on us and have. I really don’t understand people who have kids as a task or a box to check.

I moved out of my parents house 3 days after I graduated high school and never moved back. Paid from all of my degrees myself. My loans will finally be paid off in the next couple years. Pretty sure I never got a single piece of advice from them. Not bad people, just never seemed to want to spend time with their many many kids.

My wife’s parents are as bad as they come. Divorced when she was in college. Her Das didn’t even get out of bed when she left for college. She paid for everything herself too.

We also paid for our wedding ourselves.

It amuses me when my dad insists we take huge time to take care of him.