Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/17

And maybe I will figure out why my rear tire was so sketchy coming down. What PSI and tires were you guys using?

If you’re not used to descending fast, I bet you were using your rear brakes a little too hard. I have a simple bit of guidance about braking on twisty descents: Touch the rear brake and die. A lesson I have twice learned the hard way. Roughly 50 stitches and three broken bones.

When you’re descending fast and braking, so much of your weight is on the front wheel that the rear brake will only cause the rear tire to skid and slide. Nearly 100% of your stopping power is in the front.

You have to use the front brake, and do so before each curve. You have to brake when going straight, and then just drag them a little in the curves. It’s hard to resist the urge to brake in the curves, but you really have to avoid it at all cost.

FWIW – I had 23 Michelin Pro Race clinchers at ~105 pounds. But I don’t think that had anything to do with your experience.

Or you can go all scientific-like, like I do. At about 206-208 pounds depending on the wind, and 240 with bike/clothes/water, just go with a 25 cog. That and 6 watts will really impress the ladies.

You should take comfort in knowing that you had a higher power output than me – and over a longer period of time. :wink:

This was your karma for last spring when you and Plumb destroyed me in the last 10 miles of that big ride we did with Slowman.

Sounds like you’re saying it would be stupid for a lightweight like me to attempt Palomar with a 39x25, right? And when I say “lightweight,” I’m referring to my ability, not my body mass.
Not even. Please for the Love of all that is Good and Light, nobody avoid this because they don’t think they are strong enough, light enough, or geared low enough. Everybody who keeps pedaling will slay the dragon of Pala. I believe it averages out to a 6.5% grade, with no serious walls demanding extreme anaerobic debts to be paid in exchange for a pass back to milder slopes. I"ll probably go between 44 x 18,19,21 the whole way, except on the slight downhill, so yeah, 39 x 25 is plenty.

Sounds like you’re saying it would be stupid for a lightweight like me to attempt Palomar with a 39x25, right? And when I say “lightweight,” I’m referring to my ability, not my body mass.

Depends on your climbing style, but if you’re a “lightweight” rider by your definition I’d throw on a 12-27.

FWIW, I used a 12-27 cassette w/ a 38 small ring as I like to alternate between the 24 and 27 during a long climb and in general prefer to spin my way up.

And maybe I will figure out why my rear tire was so sketchy coming down. What PSI and tires were you guys using?

I used Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp’s inflated to 130 psi. I think Rick could have nailed it, though. By your own admission you do 80% of your riding on the trainer and have never really done a long climb like Palomar. That probably means you’re also not used to long, fast descents w/ switchbacks like that.

Then again, it could have been just the new bike.

Not even. Please for the Love of all that is Good and Light, nobody avoid this because they don’t think they are strong enough, light enough, or geared low enough. Everybody who keeps pedaling will slay the dragon of Pala. I believe it averages out to a 6.5% grade, with no serious walls demanding extreme anaerobic debts to be paid in exchange for a pass back to milder slopes. I"ll probably go between 44 x 18,19,21 the whole way, except on the slight downhill, so yeah, 39 x 25 is plenty.

Then again, remember that Joe has done a climbing ride almost every day since like, July, so he’s a bit of a moutain goat these days :wink:

the funny thing about gearing is that you can keep putting easier gears on, but all they do is allow to you go up easier, not necessarily faster. Of course yesterday after my hamstrings started to burn from the race the day before, I was very appreciative for having a 36 x 25 set up. On the bottom half of the climb, the first 5 miles I was holding good pace and riding mostly a 36 x 21/23 and putting out close to 300 watts. The top half was a different story. Under normal circumstances that pace was just about right, power output was good, heart rate was right on, for the lower half.

Dan, I hope you’re cleaned off the dust from your Manderic!!!

Then again, remember that Joe has done a climbing ride almost every day since like, July, so he’s a bit of a moutain goat these days :wink:

Details, details. I guess this makes a difference, (although it’s more like “every day since July” minus the last 5 days of Dec and first 14 days of Jan) and the fact that I know I can bail out to my 30 inner ring as well. You can always sabotage your own bike if you are hurting too much, bring a knife if you aren’t sure about your gearing :wink: I have a 12-27 on a 700c mavic open pro wheel that I’m not using and could bring if anybody doesn’t feel like spending $50 on a cassette for one ride. Be forewarned that I’ll fill the tube with rocks though.

This is gearing up to sound like it could be an actual race. I’m stoked. Jason’s obviously in good shape, Gary’s talking about holding 300-330 watts for 35 minutes, which equates to what, about 300 watts for the whole climb paced correctly? MikeP sounds like he’s shooting for 300 watts or so, if I read the above post right. MikeB was making me push 280-300 just to hang on around Christmas after having not trained much, I think. I havn’t heard if the ringer (Francois) is still coming, anybody know? If I had any “real life” friends to add to the mix I’d invite them, but alas, there is only Monkeybump/Lutz, who has transcended sport and moved to the higher plane of couch potatoism (not related to taoism).

According to Analyticcycling, at 11.7 miles and a 7% avg grade, with a 300w avg and 195lbs for the rider/bike/helmet/clothes/gear/water (fully loaded), you could ride it in 1:10.

I ran the worn Hutchison (use it on the trainer daily) at 120 PSI, and it felt slippery.

I come from a MTB racing background and can usually fly down hills on the road, but for some reason the rear of the bike didn’t “stick” like I was used to.

Of course this was like my 4th time on the road with it.

I may use a different tire and 110 PSI next time.

According to Analyticcycling, at 11.7 miles and a 7% avg grade, with a 300w avg and 195lbs for the rider/bike/helmet/clothes/gear/water (fully loaded), you could ride it in 1:10.

Yeah, I’ve been playing on that site too. However, I’ve been typing in that it’s a 6.475% grade, which it would indeed be if it’s exactly a 4,000’ rise. 313w avg., @82kg.(minimal fluids, gear, and no cookies the night before, well, maybe one or two), has me breaking 60’ (i’ve always been a dreamer), while 287w avg. would be 65’ and 263w avg. points to a 70’ ascent. This of course is unless it’s windy. I love that site, it provides countless hours of virtual dreaming. I think we’re the same weight Gary, where are you getting 195 from, just a generic number?

By the way Gary, the Vredestein Tri-Comp’s that Jason was on are an outstanding tire if you are cyber-shopping for a set. They’ll descend at 130-145psi with excellent confidence.

This is gearing up to sound like it could be an actual race. I’m stoked. Jason’s obviously in good shape, Gary’s talking about holding 300-330 watts for 35 minutes, which equates to what, about 300 watts for the whole climb paced correctly? MikeP sounds like he’s shooting for 300 watts or so, if I read the above post right. MikeB was making me push 280-300 just to hang on around Christmas after having not trained much, I think. I havn’t heard if the ringer (Francois) is still coming, anybody know? If I had any “real life” friends to add to the mix I’d invite them, but alas, there is only Monkeybump/Lutz, who has transcended sport and moved to the higher plane of couch potatoism (not related to taoism).
Well, I’ll mention that if I do wind up going down on the 30th, I’ll probably be bringing my IMBrazil training partner. He also went down with me on Monday and was the one guy ahead of me. He went like 1:10 or 1:11 and certainly wasn’t going all out. He’s also a bit of a mountain goat, and could probably give an in-shape and rested Plumb a run for his money.

Hey Joe,

Will you PowerCranks have a triple??? :wink: And I’m pretty sure that the ride on the 24th was my first or second ride since SOMA (Oct. 31) - so definitely no training before then.

And Mike Plumb, I’m not going to do GMR on the 29th. I’ve spent way too much time in my truck the last month and half driving back and forth from Mammoth. I’m going to stay local on the 29th and ride around town.

Mike

I’ll see you guys out there tomorrow morning. Last week was my first club ride of the year and I’ve been sick with a horrible cold since then (a sign from the tri-gods??). I’m chomping at the bit to get out there again.

See you in the dark at B&L.

what time do they pull out from B&L these days? I’ve heard conflicting times.

<< And Mike Plumb, I’m not going to do GMR on the 29th.

I’m not going to either, not since they moved the club duathlon to the 29th. Hopefully that won’t take too much away from riding Palomar the next day.

Joe,

Baldy is tough. Mike and I rode it with Jaylew’s crew last fall and we were zigzagging up that thing. That’s crazy.

You do realize that the only reason I want you on PC’s is because that’s the only way i’ll be able to keep you in sight.

Mike - I think we got off around 6:10 Tuesday morning. It’s still DARK. Officially, the ride starts at 6.

Hmmm…I’m thinking about the club race also. But that means you get to kick my butt twice in January in two days. That won’t be good for the 'ol ego!

Mike

they moved the club duathlon to the 29th. Hopefully that won’t take too much away from riding Palomar the next day.

Yikes! I wasn’t counting on that. It definitely turns the 30th into a long ride-with-big-climb day instead of a race.

See you the 29th. Should be fast and furious.

Looks like rain on the 30th on Palomar:

![http://www.intellicast.com/images/10day/sunday.gif](http://www.intellicast.com/images/10day/sunday.gif)    Sunrise: 6:44 am    UV Index: 4, Moderate   Sunset: 5:17 pm 

Moonrise: 10:25 pm Phase: Waning Gibbous Moonset: 9:39 am
Averages and Records for Jan 30 http://www.intellicast.com/images/icons/87_wtext.jpg http://www.intellicast.com/images/10day/hightemps_3.gif http://www.intellicast.com/images/10day/lowtemps_3.gif Sunday:
Scattered Showers

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalStd.asp?loc=uscact19638&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=Forecasts&product=Forecast&prodnav=none&pid=none

That’ll only make it more fun to ride. Well, at least on the way up.