Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/17

Mike,

I was in Mammoth this weekend getting in on the great snow up there. I’ll be there on the 30th for sure.

Mike

Mike,

I was in Mammoth this weekend getting in on the great snow up there. I’ll be there on the 30th for sure.

Mike
Mike, you and Joe missed a great ride. The weather was awesome if not a little too hot. It was cool gettting a chance to meet Gary, Ashburn, and Pooks(though I didn’t know it was him until afterwards) from the board. That really is an awesome climb! So much for it being an easy training ride. Right out of the gate we did another climb(I don’t remember what it was called) and Plumb and Tingley start hammering. What ever happened to a warmup, guys? I’m definitely glad I went down as it showed how much I’ve improved. I went up Palomar about 10 minutes faster than last year on less effort than last year

Jason,

I’m pretty sure the climb you are referring to is Lake Wohlford. Probably pretty tough to start from the dog park. We usually start about 7-10 miles further down the road and get a good warm up.

I totally expect Plumb and Gary to kill Palomar on the 30th. I’m hoping another friend comes down from LA to ride with Pooks and me. Hopefully he doesn’t bring his girl because she’ll probably beat us too…

let’s see, two weeks to get in shape…I think it can be done!

600 seconds…

No, no, no…whatever you do, put the PowerCranks on as soon as you get them. Two weeks will be plenty of time for you to get used to them!! :wink:

Mike

Jason, what does 10 minutes faster actually equate to?

Felt much better than that day on GMR. No breaks on the side of the mountain this time :wink:

I went 1:15:50. I’m guessing I could go 1:08-1:11 in a TT if I were fresh.

I don’t know that I will make it on the 30th, though and if I do, I certainly won’t be very rested.

All this talk of a bunch of guys hammering uphill when the temperature is just a little too warm…it’s going to send me into a rit of fealous jage! (ala Peter Sellers)

I really wish I could get out there so all of you could drop me like a bad habit. ;-(

Just FWIW for other riders that fool with power meters:

My bike and I weighed about 187 pounds with full kit, spare, tools, bottles, etc.

From the 76 sign to the stop sign at the top (“store to store”) I had 1:27:54 total time. Average power was 227 watts (normalized power was 229). That’s a pretty decent tempo for me – a little harder than I could ride in a half IM.

My lowest gear was 34x23. When I go back there, I’ll have 34x25. I think I would have had an easier time of it with the lower gearing. I had to stand a lot over the last 3-4 miles to hold my power average up.

Anyway – thanks to the other folks for a great outing!

certainly was a great day to be out on the mountain, probably upper 70’s for a high. Jason had a great ride, thanks for bringing a crew down with you, you guys made the ride.

Pooks and I both had a rough day, don’t underestimate how much racing a half marathon the day before will take out of you.

January 30th is next up, be there or be square.

Mike,

I heard a rumor you didn’t ride back to the dog park, but instead hitched a ride with a certain someone. Actually, you and Pooks hitched a ride?

Saving your legs for the 30th, huh? :wink:

Mike

January 30th is next up, be there or be square.

I’m thinking of doing the 30th as a big day by starting in Rancho Santa Fe and doing a round trip, with 30 min run to follow. Anybody interested?

Pooks and I both had a rough day, don’t underestimate how much racing a half marathon the day before will take out of you.

Oh, BTW – Mike finished 7th out of 200-something in his AG in this very competitive half marathon. Pretty good for a guy with no cartilage in his knees. :wink:

well not exactly, we planted a car there for a reason. Dave and I drove back to the start and Gina rode there since she started her ride at the bottom of the mountain. I kind of thought my legs would be shot, and they were. Just trying to pace myself for the week. I think Ves has been following this and decided to really make life hard by announcing our Wednesday ride is basically going to be the Henshaw loop, which takes in the bottom half of Palomar and Mesa Grande. Thanks Ves :wink:
Then if I have any legs left, my first club ride of the year on Thursday and brick run after that. Can you tell this is a bike week?

Good deal. I need more time to train with you guys.

See you Thursday morning. It’s time to start waking up early again!!

Mike

Good deal. I need more time to train with you guys.

See you Thursday morning. It’s time to start waking up early again!!

Mike

What/where/when/how far is the Thursday ride?

Rick,

We meet behind B&L Bikes at 6am Tues/Thurs. Head up the coast to Starbuck’s in Carlsbad. If time permit, some will head up to Oceanside and back. If we go to Starbucks, it’s about 26 miles, Oceanside, maybe 36??

Speed varies within the group.

Mike

Jason, what does 10 minutes faster actually equate to?

Felt much better than that day on GMR. No breaks on the side of the mountain this time :wink:

I went 1:15:50. I’m guessing I could go 1:08-1:11 in a TT if I were fresh.

I don’t know that I will make it on the 30th, though and if I do, I certainly won’t be very rested.

Jason (& co.) was an animal - I hung on at 300-330w (for the most part) for 35 mins into the ride and then blew up and limped in. I could barely manage 220w at the top. My legs were toast. I guess thats what I get for not climbing, EVER, in the past couple of years. One thing I can’t get from a trainer is Palomar efforts! Geez, what was I thinking. I’m racing a flat TT on Sunday, but will give this another go on the 30th, maybe my legs will realize what hills are by then. I should have been OK with the 36/23, but it was tough!

And maybe I will figure out why my rear tire was so sketchy coming down. What PSI and tires were you guys using?

Sounds like you’re saying it would be stupid for a lightweight like me to attempt Palomar with a 39x25, right? And when I say “lightweight,” I’m referring to my ability, not my body mass.

Many riders (like Mike and Jason) were using a 25 or greater, I used a 23 but could have easily used a 25 or even 27.

I will use a 23 on the 30th, as long as I pace it I should be OK, some steep sections though, low cadence stuff.

Sounds like you’re saying it would be stupid for a lightweight like me to attempt Palomar with a 39x25, right? And when I say “lightweight,” I’m referring to my ability, not my body mass.

As I said, my 34x23 (roughly equal to 39x26.5) was not low enough, and I’m in half-decent bike shape. That climb was very nearly a PR for power output over that much time.

For reference, I do a 40k TT in about 1:05. Anybody slower than that (and 160 pounds or more) ought to have at least 39x27 – if you want to keep cadence above 75. More powerful (FOP-type), lighter riders will do fine with a 39x23-25.

Or you can go all scientific-like, like I do. At about 206-208 pounds depending on the wind, and 240 with bike/clothes/water, just go with a 25 cog. That and 6 watts will really impress the ladies.