Overt racism is alive and well in America

White father goes on stage and shoves a black school superintendent away to prevent his graduating daughter from shaking a black man’s hand. Daughter looks confused and embarrassed.

#emboldenedracists

https://x.com/...vp_awfmCUdsw9F_S4a0g

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/baraboo-high-school-graduation-nazi-photo-b2557484.html

She had the “Oh fuck, Dad!!! Can you NOT!!!”!look that you NEVER want to get from your child

Kids today give me some kind of Hope

This is like a much worse version of the sports parent yelling at the ref or other team and embarrassing their own kid. The daughter looks like she’s about to cry.

I would be interested to learn how this affects Blacks and Whites viscerally upon seeing it. I see the guy is being a pure asshole in several ways, but is it triggering for me the same way it would be for a Black person who lived and worked in White spaces?

I’m guessing no just from reading the Twitter responses but who knows.

That’s much worse than I thought it would be. I had seen a still and read a little, but I thought he just kind of blocked the handshake and got out of there. Didn’t realize the whole graduation got interrupted and the stage cleared.

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell us how this isn’t racism and doesn’t really count.

Did you read the whole story? It seems it may have been political and not racial.

Did you read the whole story? It seems it may have been political and not racial.

I saw mention of that in the story and was waiting for something in the story that said the dad was a racist prick, he was known to hate African Americans, or that he in fact had said the reason he did it was so his daughter would not shake the hand of a black man.

I did not see those things, but it does in fact look very bad and you can probably assume, ( like the newspapers did and this forum) that the reason was because the guy is racists.

Pretty sad day for that school anyway and for those kids.

White father goes on stage and shoves a black school superintendent away to prevent his graduating daughter from shaking a black man’s hand. Daughter looks confused and embarrassed.

#emboldenedracists

https://www.independent.co.uk/…-photo-b2557484.html

It is quite a jump to go from one guy trying to prevent somebody from shaking his daughters hand to overt racism being alive and well in America. Does America compared to countries say outside of Western Europe seem particularly racist?

How on earth did you jump to that conclusion?

There was a section in the story from another parent or person in the district saying there are reasons not to like the Superintendant ( didn’t say specifically) but if this was racial it was terrible. Led the reader to believe the guy may in fact be unpopular for other reasons. Still not a reason to cause a disturbance and it was in fact most likely racial, but the reader is left without the full facts.

#emboldenedracists

https://www.independent.co.uk/…-photo-b2557484.html

It is quite a jump to go from one guy trying to prevent somebody from shaking his daughters hand to overt racism being alive and well in America. Does America compared to countries say outside of Western Europe seem particularly racist?

In terms of the growth of overt racism in recent years, yes. I’m going to try to think about why Americans are becoming more comfortable with overt racism… brb

She had the “Oh fuck, Dad!!! Can you NOT!!!”!look that you NEVER want to get from your child

Kids today give me some kind of Hope

One thing for sure, she’s going to date A LOT of black men in college.

Completely coincedentally, this popped up on my youtube feed.

from Sam Seder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkRmnm-cv_M

and the original video
https://x.com/Public_Citizen/status/1795792636302729682

There was a section in the story from another parent or person in the district saying there are reasons not to like the Superintendant ( didn’t say specifically) but if this was racial it was terrible. Led the reader to believe the guy may in fact be unpopular for other reasons. Still not a reason to cause a disturbance and it was in fact most likely racial, but the reader is left without the full facts.

I read that and other linked articles. Seems residents are unhappy with the Superintendent and the School Board. She was shaking hands with the members of the school board (who people seem to have issues with) when her father got on stage. Do I need to point out they were all white? About to get to the one black person on stage and “I don’t want her touching him.”

That’s much worse than I thought it would be. I had seen a still and read a little, but I thought he just kind of blocked the handshake and got out of there. Didn’t realize the whole graduation got interrupted and the stage cleared.

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell us how this isn’t racism and doesn’t really count.

You are Kreskin!
See Posts 5 and 6.

I read that and other linked articles. Seems residents are unhappy with the Superintendent and the School Board. She was shaking hands with the members of the school board (who people seem to have issues with) when her father got on stage. Do I need to point out they were all white? About to get to the one black person on stage and “I don’t want her touching him.”

No, as I have said, its fair to assume the reason was race related but there are no quotes in the story saying as such. But yeah, the guy is an asshole and and hope his daughter can get over her dads actions.

People conveniently “miss” the clues that tell the story as you have above.

The apologists, the minimizers, some of whom we see in this thread-this is the population of people that most clearly reveal why we cannot and will never rid ourselves of these mouth breathers. It’s been a multiracial nation, it’s not changing. This type of behavior is counterproductive.

Pretty bold to put your hands on someone else like that. I assume he’ll be charged with assault of some sort. Why not just grab your daughter or just stand in her way between them?

Wow, the whataboutism is strong with this one …

(apologies to george lucas)

Does America compared to countries say outside of Western Europe seem particularly racist?

Yes.