One day cycling… then clicking of the knee and now pain?

I usually cycle every morning before work.

About a week ago I noticed a noticeable click on my downstroke. Thought nothing of it.

Then I go up the stairs and my knee clicks, and the biking has become uncomfortable- but it’s not painful.

Tried running 3 miles- no pain. Played tennis… and I could feel the click when I served and deep into the second match the area behind my knee inwards- started to have a dull ache.

I know something is amiss… and I’m just trying to figure out what it is. It’s hard to go from working out everyday to now stopping completely.

The clock still remains and climbing the stairs is doable but it does “annoy me I guess” and I have since stopped all activities after the ache has appeared and waiting for my doc appt. I can in theory- still bike run swim play tennis but I worry about worsening the situation. I’m not hobbling around or anything.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I usually cycle every morning before work.

About a week ago I noticed a noticeable click on my downstroke. Thought nothing of it.

Then I go up the stairs and my knee clicks, and the biking has become uncomfortable- but it’s not painful.

Tried running 3 miles- no pain. Played tennis… and I could feel the click when I served and deep into the second match the area behind my knee inwards- started to have a dull ache.

I know something is amiss… and I’m just trying to figure out what it is. It’s hard to go from working out everyday to now stopping completely.

The clock still remains and climbing the stairs is doable but it does “annoy me I guess” and I have since stopped all activities after the ache has appeared and waiting for my doc appt. I can in theory- still bike run swim play tennis but I worry about worsening the situation. I’m not hobbling around or anything.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Great timing as I have been experiencing something similar…….a clicking sound in my left knee. Also, I get a little swelling. After a hard century ride in September, the left knee swelled quite a bit, and was hard to bend completely. But, it always goes away with a little time off the bike, never really hurts, and is mostly annoying with the clicking sensation. It’s gotta be related to bike fit and/or cleat placement but I gotta figure that out. If it was actually structural damage, I don’t believe I’d be able to continue running on it like I do

I wonder if this is one of those things that I will have to live with. Woke up today and zero issues with the leg… but still has that click that I never had before.

Like you- I think if it was a true tear etc- I wouldn’t be able to run, swim, bike etc without major issues…

I wonder if this is one of those things that I will have to live with. Woke up today and zero issues with the leg… but still has that click that I never had before.

Like you- I think if it was a true tear etc- I wouldn’t be able to run, swim, bike etc without major issues…

When it happens with my knee, it can last a day or two, or it can last 7-10 days. Mine seems to be related to how hard I biked. At first, I thought I might have a meniscus tear, but since mine clears up so quickly, and no other sports related problems, I no longer feel it is my meniscus.

When it happens with my knee, it can last a day or two, or it can last 7-10 days. Mine seems to be related to how hard I biked. At first, I thought I might have a meniscus tear, but since mine clears up so quickly, and no other sports related problems, I no longer feel it is my meniscus.

The biggest issue I have with mine- is that its reproducible 99% of the time. I wouldn’t really care if its the odd creak here and there, but whenever I take a step up and load- it clicks. 99.9% of the time.

Another thing is that it- I’m assuming for you to- it’s hard to just rest 7-10 days and “wait” for it to go away. I need my workout fix otherwise I get depressed and crazy. I’ve been lifting weights to fill in the workout schedule- but I do miss my bike rides/runs.

It’s been like 5 days of no exercise and the click remains. I’m afraid of “pushing” it over the edge where I really screw up the knee and need some stupid surgery or “rest” for 3 months.

I am pretty sure this “injury” came from my biking. I was biking every morning 1-1:30 hours and one day I just biked and it clicked. Didn’t think much of it as I chalked it up to getting older but as I paid more attention to it- it was constant…and I figured its my body telling me something.

I have a Drs. appt thursday with PT next week…

35 man. Body falling apart,

The biggest issue I have with mine- is that its reproducible 99% of the time. I wouldn’t really care if its the odd creak here and there, but whenever I take a step up and load- it clicks. 99.9% of the time.

Another thing is that it- I’m assuming for you to- it’s hard to just rest 7-10 days and “wait” for it to go away. I need my workout fix otherwise I get depressed and crazy. I’ve been lifting weights to fill in the workout schedule- but I do miss my bike rides/runs.

It’s been like 5 days of no exercise and the click remains. I’m afraid of “pushing” it over the edge where I really screw up the knee and need some stupid surgery or “rest” for 3 months.

I am pretty sure this “injury” came from my biking. I was biking every morning 1-1:30 hours and one day I just biked and it clicked. Didn’t think much of it as I chalked it up to getting older but as I paid more attention to it- it was constant…and I figured its my body telling me something.

I have a Drs. appt thursday with PT next week…

35 man. Body falling apart,

Yeah if I was in your shoes, I’d definitely go get it checked out. Could be a meniscus tear

My gut is telling me that it is to. It does have an ache to it. Sigh. Why me.

Not sure about running but, if you do need meniscus surgery, you should be able to get back to cycling fairly quick. A few of my cycling buddies had the surgery and were back at it quicker than I thought.

My true love is tennis…but as we all know- that is prob the hardest on the joints. We will see next week!

Best of luck at your doc visit. Hope it goes better than expected but please update.

The noise is:
Crepitus of the knee refers to a cracking sensation when a person moves their knee.
But there are many causes. Some are harmless while others are not.

After 6 or more knee problems, mine ended up with a Total Knee Replacement.

Turns out it’s a palletofemoral thing. It’s like a ligament or something is inflamed and when the knee gets loaded it clicks over.

Easy fix with ibuprofen rest and ice… but it can become a nagging thing.

So I dunno maybe take it easy for a while