Old ass aero helmet vs Modern aero road helmet

I have a Rudy Project Wingspan that I got on clearance years ago stashed in the closet. I currently use an Evade 3.

Which one is faster?

are you on the pointy end? if not, wear the one that scores the most points for you

comfort: 1-10 rating
how it looks on you: 1-10 rating

Evade 3 isn’t bad as a tt helmet, so I suspect it’s a wash, unless every second counts for you.

I have a Rudy Project Wingspan that I got on clearance years ago stashed in the closet. I currently use an Evade 3.

Which one is faster?

I’ll take this bet for $10,000 please, Walie

I’ll bet on the Evade 3

Isn’t the older Wingspan one of the more consistently bad TT helmets?

If not the most consistently bad of the older aero helmets

No wonder I got one for free at my local tri club gear swap.

Any notes on what makes it so bad? I wore it over my regular road helmet for an olympic last week and I didnt have any complaints. Although no wind tunnel testing was taking place, it felt like I looked cool.

The fastest one is the one you don’t forget at home :wink:

Yeah, it was definitely not top of the heap. That being said, one reason was that it only came in one size (so lots of people were tested wearing a non-ideal size…kinda like if you tested in a good trisuit that was a size too big). It is still a “full” aero helmet; I would give it at least even money on beating a top aero road helmet like the Evade 3.

Might be an esoteric argument at this point since aero positions have evolved quite a bit from when the Wingspan was launched, and the Evade is optimized for a road position (not TT).

Remco in the Evade
https://www.soudal-quickstepteam.com/images/team_rider/s_c/1200x1200/2065698038_1710614782.jpg

Erik Zabel during the Wingspan testing
https://roadbikeaction.com/wp-content/contentimages/Zap%20News/zabel_wingspan_1.jpg

I was trying to be polite. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it was definitely not top of the heap. That being said, one reason was that it only came in one size (so lots of people were tested wearing a non-ideal size…kinda like if you tested in a good trisuit that was a size too big). It is still a “full” aero helmet; I would give it at least even money on beating a top aero road helmet like the Evade 3.

If I tested 8 helmets on someone, it almost always was one of the worst two.

Multiple times their road aero helmet (forgot the name) tested faster than the Wing & Wing 57. 50/50 on that from what I can remember

Until the Wing came out, and maybe/probably/potentially their new space balls helmet, their aero helmets maybe were a top 3 helmet <10% of the time.

I’ll take that even money bet!