Oh boy...this is a big one, I think my garage door sensors need to be replaced

Perhaps

It is a liftmaster

One sensor is amber the other is dark.

The dark one looks like the wire is frayed and only one bit of twisted metal is connected between the two sides of wire.

I have cleaned the sensors and jiggled them.

had a similar issue and found that the wire connecting one of the sensors to the opener unit was bad - replaced that, and good to go.

You might be able to just splice the worn wire. I did have to replace one of my sensors. It is about as easy as mounting a toilet roll hanger. But a pain because you can’t use the door until it gets fixed.

The wire is “hardwired” into the sensor

Au contraire …if you hold the button down it will override the sensor and close.

Dumb question I assume the sensors plugged into something electrical so i would have to find the breaker and flip it before splicing

It wouldn’t be line voltage.

Meaning…?

Typically you will see something that looks like a Cat 5 cable running into the top of the garage door opener. Individual wires will be coming out of it and going into small openings in the opener. Those are for the sensors and the button on the wall.

Any voltage coming out of those wires and going into the sensors will be so low that it probably wouldn’t even tingle if you licked the wires at the same time. They are basically for “signaling” the opener. You may not want to cross/touch them, but you shouldn’t need to.

You may be able to replace just the sensors as long as they are compatible with your opener. Unless they are new, you would need two new ones.

It will not shock you. It is low voltage.

Meaning the wires running to the sensor are low voltage and have less umph than a 9V battery. It’s one of those things that an electronics teacher in school would have to you turn off the breaker (or unplug the opener), but your dad would just say go for it.

Wet your fingers and touch the exposed wire. If you don’t respond in 24 hours then it’s line voltage.

It’s not line voltage as sensor wires are anywhere from 12 to 24V and shouldn’t shock you. If you don’t feel like shutting power off then just wear some garden rubber gloves.

Okay. Now that we’ve fooled him into thinking it won’t hurt him, who’s going to go to his house and record video of him getting shocked and peeing in his pants?

j/k - Compare the difference between the size of the wire running into an outlet versus the ones in the sensors. The wires on the sensors are often a small single-strand wire because they don’t carry much voltage.

I just did a quick check. You can get replacement sensors on Amazon. Typically fewer than $20 a set.

1 Like

What all those guys above said.

Line voltage = 120VAC

If I remember correctly, I think they (the National Electric Code, the code making body flof the NFPA that oversees electricans) say 48V and below is safe to touch.

In the controls world, mostly what we use is 24VDC, but typically something like a garage door opener or a doorbell or anything along those lines will be 24vdc, 24vac (still won’t hurt ya), 12vdc, or occasionally 5v (rare, but I’ve seen it, albeit years ago).

My apologies: I forgot who I was talking to.

Sometimes things don’t translate well in this medium, as we all know, but the above was not meant as a dig, more like a light-hearted jab. Lord knows, if the roles were reversed and I had a finance question, I’d look like the ignorant bumpkin.

…Oh, wait: that’s also because I am an ignorant bumpkin… but you get my point.

Also, these are a helluva lot more fun than another political thread…

• Jeff

In my early bicycle building career, my “workshop” was in our garage

The garage door would go up & down by itself (we didn’t have a door opener and I’d never hear it move; I’d turn around an it was open if I’d closed it, or closed if I’d opened it) , the back door and side windows would open & close, tools would fall off the table or slide across the floor, but most disturbing - to me, personally - was that the radio would change stations on its own. I’d be cranking along to Led Zeppelin or Van Halen, it would zip over to the easy listening station and suddenly there’s Barry fucking Manilow

We always thought the guy who killed himself in our house did it in the basement. Our dogs would never go down there, you always felt someone was watching you. We tried making it a “fun room” with pool table & ping pong, but there was absolutely no “joy” down there, and we always gave up in the middle of a game

However, we found out later, that he had actually hung himself … in the garage

Lucky me

1 Like

So i snipped the wire

Then made two snips so i have fresh wire to try and join

Having issue with stripping the wire insulation

You need strippers.

No, not those - those will get you divorced… wire strippers.

• Jeff

Thought you meant those nice folks who help you off with your wetsuit in one of tbose things we used to do.

Could a stripper dance to Wire?

Don’t see why not

This has been completed… stripped wires and then uaed the dohickey to splice them!