Official Talbot vs. Messick Honu 70.3 race day thread

Who you got?

As was posted elsewhere, they shortened the swim to 750 meters. Small craft warning this morning.

Winds were supposed to be around 20mph gusting to 26 mph up and down from Hawi.

Tracker shows Talbot expected to finish in 5:15 and Messick 5:52 but they have just passed through the 29 mile marker on the bike and of course, anything can happen, especially on that run course!

Talbot will walk most of the run.

Messick wins by a ton. (Unless a mechanical)

Was curious why swim times were low. My vote is for Talbot.

A suspicious 5 minute penalty for Talbot will lead to a Messick victory.

That 20+ mph wind from the east up and down Hawi - - though it can certainly be stronger in that section, will be no joke going either direction.

Looks like they hit transition together and starting the run together. That could have been planned. But Messick (3:18) on his gravel bike out biked Talbot (3:23) on his TT bike. :slight_smile:

Who?

Looks like they hit transition together and starting the run together. That could have been planned. But Messick (3:18) on his gravel bike out biked Talbot (3:23) on his TT bike. :slight_smile:

Talbot for the win!

This has been so hilarious and a nice change of pace to follow along. I hope someone documented this on video. It’s a nice reminder Ironman can be about fun and not just performance.

Congrats to both of them

This has been so hilarious and a nice change of pace to follow along. I hope someone documented this on video. It’s a nice reminder Ironman can be about fun and not just performance.

I agree!

I see Messick placed about top third in his age group(20/58) and Talbot about top half in his age group (40/78). Solid showing for both on a very tough course. . . . . Messick could make the argument . . . . . . .

Talbot will walk most of the run.

Messick wins by a ton. (Unless a mechanical)

Ohhh next aero testing with Lionel may a bit uncomfortable

😳

Lol just kidding

Finishing in a little over 6 hours is very impressive. Talbot is faster than he looks. :slight_smile:
Good for him!!!

Finishing in a little over 6 hours is very impressive

They cancelled over half the swim, so comparing times to anything other than others in this race is difficult and requires handicapping now…