Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…

Hopefully the relay will be better, but GBR, DEU and FRA are already Paris 2024 qualified so the albeit vague interest can focus on other nations’ opportunities and screw ups. Sunday July 10: WTCS Mixed Team Relay – 1500 Hamburg (1400 UTC, 0900 ET) - competes with the icy Slav and the gobby Ozzy however.

FR and by default GBR qualified the other week. When/how did DEU qualify? The commentary said only 2 were qualified.
Actually as hosts FRA were qualified ‘by default’ and at Montreal GBR qualified as best team not yet qualified. DEU qualified for the Olympic MTR at Leeds and skipped Montreal.

I didn’t even know a qualification place was up for grabs in Leeds.

Pretty sure no auto qualification was up for grabs in leeds, just points towards qualification.

Pretty sure no auto qualification was up for grabs in leeds, just points towards qualification.

I didn’t think so because the ITU were pushing Montreal as the first place to be able to qualify. In the GB interview afterwards someone said it was really good to nail the qualification at the 1st attempt.

I thought the relay was great and a way more exciting race than either the mens or womens individual.

Amazing performance from GB considering they were fielding very much their B team.

What happened to the US this time?

Pretty sure no auto qualification was up for grabs in Leeds, just points towards qualification. I didn’t think so because the ITU were pushing Montreal as the first place to be able to qualify. In the GB interview afterwards someone said it was really good to nail the qualification at the 1st attempt.I misinterpreted much of the commentary and interviews at Leeds: my inference was wrong.
Leeds was the first opportunity to earn points for MTR Oly Q Rankings.
The winners at Montreal and the best of the rest at Hamburg (AUS) gained MTR start slots.
https://olympics.com/...ion-system-explained
Here is the ranking table protocol:
https://www.triathlon.org/...Ranking_Criteria.pdf
The host nation gets a start slot by default.
Thought the “the Germans usually win on penalties!” comment in the Hamburg commentary exposed British rue and schadenfreude in combination.

Pretty sure no auto qualification was up for grabs in Leeds, just points towards qualification. I didn’t think so because the ITU were pushing Montreal as the first place to be able to qualify. In the GB interview afterwards someone said it was really good to nail the qualification at the 1st attempt.I misinterpreted much of the commentary and interviews at Leeds: my inference was wrong.
The winners at Montreal and the best of the rest at Hamburg (AUS) gained MTR start slots.
Thought the “the Germans usually win on penalties!” comment in the Hamburg commentary exposed British rue and schadenfreude in combination.

The Hamburg start slot is for 2023, not today.

Have to confess I did laugh at that quip (and I’m not even really a football fan) - I thought it was a pretty funny line but I guess humour is in the eye of the beholder! To be fair both the commentators were very sympathetic to Lindemann’s predicament and also mentioned several times how well the Germans did to get on the podium despite a double penalty.

Thought the young Brits were excellent though probably Lindemann would have beaten Waugh without that 20 seconds in the box. Good showing too from the Aussies - Hauser really looks like he has his mojo back (had a great showing in Yokohama too early season). NZ creditable effort too with a 40-year-old in the team.

Really curious to see how the Norwegians would do if they had, say, Blummenfelt, Iden, Miller and Loveseth/Dale. Gotta think they’d be competitive.

Only the gb team and France (because host nation) have a slot sewn up. The rest are all accruing points for the rest of the qualification period.

Have to confess I did laugh at that quip (and I’m not even really a football fan) - I thought it was a pretty funny line but I guess humour is in the eye of the beholder! To be fair both the commentators were very sympathetic to Lindemann’s predicament and also mentioned several times how well the Germans did to get on the podium despite a double penalty.

Thought the young Brits were excellent though probably Lindemann would have beaten Waugh without that 20 seconds in the box. Good showing too from the Aussies - Hauser really looks like he has his mojo back (had a great showing in Yokohama too early season). NZ creditable effort too with a 40-year-old in the team.

Really curious to see how the Norwegians would do if they had, say, Blummenfelt, Iden, Miller and Loveseth/Dale. Gotta think they’d be competitive.

Clearly humour is lost on you.

Want to avoid spoilers, did they do the women’s or men’s race first please?

why would you click on a thread discussing the race and expect people not to be discussing the race?

The commentary team can spoil race results hence me asking which race was first, wouldn’t expect people not to discuss the race in here so please don’t jump to silly conclusions…

Men’s
Never heard of the Moroccan dude so fair play to him, Hauser seemed to pull that result out of nowhere also. Wilde (with Yee) on a different level, he’s not a front pack Swimmer so hesitant to compare him with Brownlees/Gomez but I’d love to see how he’d have ran off the bike with Mola and Murray 5 plus years ago.

Speaking of Mola he’s back! Wonder if he can get anywhere close to his best?

Women’s
Some run from Duffy, actually thought she was looking like having a bit of an off year, but can’t wait to see how she goes with GTB in Commonwealths and other races, think Potter seemed a bit gutted she couldn’t hold on for the win. She’s done brilliant coming into the sport late and putting herself onto podiums.

Relay
GB B team (maybe even a C team?) with a brilliant win, although to be fair no one seemed to have their strongest teams out, what the hell happen to USA Mcqueen was it? In the first leg? Probably be an unpopular opinion but I think they should scale down the relays to 1 every 2 races instead of every race.

Women’s
Some run from Duffy, actually thought she was looking like having a bit of an off year, but can’t wait to see how she goes with GTB in Commonwealths and other races, think Potter seemed a bit gutted she couldn’t hold on for the win. She’s done brilliant coming into the sport late and putting herself onto podiums.

Relay
GB B team (maybe even a C team?) with a brilliant win, although to be fair no one seemed to have their strongest teams out, what the hell happen to USA Mcqueen was it? In the first leg? Probably be an unpopular opinion but I think they should scale down the relays to 1 every 2 races instead of every race.
Given Potter’s palmares, I am surprised she can’t run away from everyone.
Think this was a ‘B’ team rather than a ‘C’ team: impressive strength in depth. I was avoiding using this nomenclature in case some sensitive souls from across the pond took umbrage.
What is your rationale for reducing the number of MTRs? Doesn’t an MTR on Sunday make it a really worthwhile weekend for athletes and their support? A proper ‘standard’ distance individual would make it hard for the same athletes to double up the following day so every sprint distance individual should have an MTR alongside.
Anyway there’s a massive summer break till the next WTCS competitions.

I’m sure Potter beats Duffy on a run, but obviously not after a swim and bike ‘yet?’ Maybe she needs another year to put everything together.

I think they’re sort of watering down the event, I’m sure the MTR was once a year and the teams were loaded and was really something to look forward to, it’s becoming a little bit of chore to watch every event, with severely weekend teams which your big names are not bothering to race in.

Women’s

Relay
Given Potter’s palmares, I am surprised she can’t run away from everyone.
Think this was a ‘B’ team rather than a ‘C’ team: impressive strength in depth. I was avoiding using this nomenclature in case some sensitive souls from across the pond took umbrage.
What is your rationale for reducing the number of MTRs? Doesn’t an MTR on Sunday make it a really worthwhile weekend for athletes and their support? A proper ‘standard’ distance individual would make it hard for the same athletes to double up the following day so every sprint distance individual should have an MTR alongside.
Anyway there’s a massive summer break till the next WTCS competitions.

Given how much Beth has improved both her swim and bike this season I would imagine that was a focus over the winter. Possibly she did less running to accommodate an increased volume in the other 2. Her goal is a medal in Paris.

She is either front pack swim or just off front pack swim now which is a huge improvement. If she makes the team she has a good chance of a medal.

There are relays at less than 1/2 of the WTCS events, it just happens that this season was front loaded with sprints, and back loaded with Standards, so there were MTRs with 3 events in a row and then very few on the back half because of the standard distance events.

This may be a commonwealth bias in circuit planning, given that the commies are sprint distance and relay… so it’s a good tune-up…

In terms of the US MTR, McQueen had a chain issue that he had to stop to fix (no Wilde/Iden wizardry…), and Hoel for Canada got a flat early in the first lap, tried to ride it out on his rim until it basically caved in, and had to DNF (the pictures of his rim from socials are gnarly). Disappointing end for both, given that they led out of the water… We’re seeing more penalties on the circuit these days… I think that because the races are so competitive people are under pressure constantly and making more inattention errors. we’re seeing more swim conduct penalties too, since the officials now have access to drone footage on WTCS swims, which gives way better angles for spotting, than a hand held camera from a boat alongside… They’ve also moved to a football (soccer) type system for the swim conduct penalties, where your penalties accumulate and result in suspensions for repeat offenders, which should hopefully help clean up the swims (not to mention that the swim conduct rules were introduced at the request of the athlete’s committee). Either way, it has meant that races aren’t short on drama with penalties threatening to disrupt the order of things in many races (both individual and MTR). You have to feel for Lindemann who earned neither of the two, but had to deal with the brunt of both penalties in the MTR. Flora’s interview after the individual was priceless, she pooched T2 after seeing her goggles out of the bin, and knew she wasn’t making her life easy, but then chose to take that out on everyone else, with the most Flora performance we’ve seen outside of Tokyo since the first Bermuda race…

I know that traditionalists bemoan the sprint races on the WTCS, but we’ve had so much drama and excitement this season, I have to say I like it. We’ll get the tactical standard distance chess matches come fall, once we get past the commonwealth games, which bring their own set of drama, but I see room for both formats, I would prefer more intermixing of the formats, rather than 3 sprints/SS in a row, and then a pile of standards…

On the para series front, impressive races in Montreal. the highlight pack is up, but doesn’t do justice to Lauren Parker’s dominance… She was more than a lap ahead of second place on the run leg… That’s even scarier, given that she’s been dabbling in long distance racing and looking to race para cycling worlds too… If she stays healthy and motivated, I can’t see her losing in a sprint in Paris like she did in Tokyo… There were plenty of other impressive performances too, even if there were a few of the top brits sitting it out to avoid travel and focus on the commonwealth games… I wonder if one of these years they will move the WTCS from the old port over to the race track like the paras (and the Esprit Tri in september), I could only imagine the speeds that the pack could reach on that course…

And for the MTR, the OG qualifying is broken down with auto spots for the host, the one in MTL (taken by GB) and one in Hamburg next year as the world champs. Then there will be the auto qualifying by ranking, and then the last chance qualifier race. there then might be the odd other team that sneaks in by virtue of qualifying 2 and 2 based on individual rankings that would be eligible for a relay as well…

As for Abdelmoula, he had a world cup win late last year (and had some promising world cup results before that), made the top 10 in Montreal (his first or second WTCS i believe) before his podium in Hamburg, so I can’t say that I was shocked. He tends to do well on races where the group is largely together on the bike, because he has a serious run, but I relish to see more and more countries being competitive on the circuit…

I think they’re sort of watering down the event, I’m sure the MTR was once a year and the teams were loaded and was really something to look forward to,

No relays listed for the remaining 3 WTCS races (though info on Cagliari is scarce on the ITU site)
End of period 1 for Olympic qualification is May next year, so it may only be regional champs that offer the chance for more points unless they have a relay at an early 2023 WTCS.
The intent of the split period qualification is obviously to increase depth in MTR events, but the top nations don’t care as they’re focussed on qualifying 6 athletes, which won’t come via MTR.

I like the relay, brings a different skillset into play.

Cheers for explaining the front of season loaded MTR, glad we’re going to get some proper oly distance races now, prefer them over sprint.

Pontevedra World Cup is coming up and is standard distance if memory serves…the next WTCS isn’t until Cagliari in October… It’s a bizarre season with some 2021 races counting, and then a long layoff for the commonwealth games. Next year should be a more normal season, which a more earnest push for OG qualifying as well…

There are relays at less than 1/2 of the WTCS events, it just happens that this season was front loaded with sprints, and back loaded with Standards, so there were MTRs with 3 events in a row and then very few on the back half because of the standard distance events.

This may be a commonwealth bias in circuit planning, given that the commies are sprint distance and relay… so it’s a good tune-up…

In terms of the US MTR, McQueen had a chain issue that he had to stop to fix (no Wilde/Iden wizardry…), and Hoel for Canada got a flat early in the first lap, tried to ride it out on his rim until it basically caved in, and had to DNF (the pictures of his rim from socials are gnarly). Disappointing end for both, given that they led out of the water… We’re seeing more penalties on the circuit these days… I think that because the races are so competitive people are under pressure constantly and making more inattention errors. we’re seeing more swim conduct penalties too, since the officials now have access to drone footage on WTCS swims, which gives way better angles for spotting, than a hand held camera from a boat alongside… They’ve also moved to a football (soccer) type system for the swim conduct penalties, where your penalties accumulate and result in suspensions for repeat offenders, which should hopefully help clean up the swims (not to mention that the swim conduct rules were introduced at the request of the athlete’s committee). Either way, it has meant that races aren’t short on drama with penalties threatening to disrupt the order of things in many races (both individual and MTR). You have to feel for Lindemann who earned neither of the two, but had to deal with the brunt of both penalties in the MTR. Flora’s interview after the individual was priceless, she pooched T2 after seeing her goggles out of the bin, and knew she wasn’t making her life easy, but then chose to take that out on everyone else, with the most Flora performance we’ve seen outside of Tokyo since the first Bermuda race…

I know that traditionalists bemoan the sprint races on the WTCS, but we’ve had so much drama and excitement this season, I have to say I like it. We’ll get the tactical standard distance chess matches come fall, once we get past the commonwealth games, which bring their own set of drama, but I see room for both formats, I would prefer more intermixing of the formats, rather than 3 sprints/SS in a row, and then a pile of standards…

On the para series front, impressive races in Montreal. the highlight pack is up, but doesn’t do justice to Lauren Parker’s dominance… She was more than a lap ahead of second place on the run leg… That’s even scarier, given that she’s been dabbling in long distance racing and looking to race para cycling worlds too… If she stays healthy and motivated, I can’t see her losing in a sprint in Paris like she did in Tokyo… There were plenty of other impressive performances too, even if there were a few of the top brits sitting it out to avoid travel and focus on the commonwealth games… I wonder if one of these years they will move the WTCS from the old port over to the race track like the paras (and the Esprit Tri in september), I could only imagine the speeds that the pack could reach on that course…

And for the MTR, the OG qualifying is broken down with auto spots for the host, the one in MTL (taken by GB) and one in Hamburg next year as the world champs. Then there will be the auto qualifying by ranking, and then the last chance qualifier race. there then might be the odd other team that sneaks in by virtue of qualifying 2 and 2 based on individual rankings that would be eligible for a relay as well…

As for Abdelmoula, he had a world cup win late last year (and had some promising world cup results before that), made the top 10 in Montreal (his first or second WTCS i believe) before his podium in Hamburg, so I can’t say that I was shocked. He tends to do well on races where the group is largely together on the bike, because he has a serious run, but I relish to see more and more countries being competitive on the circuit…

i would be very much up for more sprint races if the swim portion would be made a bit longer to give it a bit more time for the fields to split a bit more. in my opinion the current sprint races make it too much of a run race in the mens as the fields are to close, but of course i also see that right now we in the opposite area then the last decade, and in the female race most top swimmer are also the top cyclists , like in the brownlee area . this has just switched around and could easily change again . but still i do think the swim should be a bit longer lets say 1 k and the few sec more separation would be good.

Iam looking forward to the day when they will have a bit of decent camera work done for para races. i think it would be better if they were only at every 2nd race but then double the cameras and have at least one camera on a motor bike , so you can actually watch the race a bit. rather than like 10 sec snippets of each race.
and just to add jetze plat is still 9 min faster than parker-who is obviously an great athlete and still improving- so a bit more than the gender gap and he is the triple oly champ from tokio in tri , road cycle and tt . and did kona in 8.40 I was told by a dutch team mate, the guy pushes 300 watts on the bike with his arms … but i have to say parker is the only athlete where i like to see the bahrain 13en logo on the trisuit .

Good points, although, I am not sure that the time gap between Plat and Parker is fully reflective, given that the men’s races are much closer than the women’s races in PTWC (save for the Tokyo sprint), so I get the sense that given how busy her race card is this year, she does tend to cost the end of the run at times.

Fair points about the men’s sprint races, that the swim tends not to be that selective. The more entertaining races tend to be the ones with tougher water conditions, where there are smaller packs in T1… I don’t think the length of the swim is the issue, it tends to be fewer people are uber aggressive on the bike, trying to break the race open. you’ve got some solid riders, but they will just ride their group up to the lead pack, and then save the legs for the run. We need a healthy Van Riel, Schomburg to get his mojo back, and Blu and Iden back on the circuit…

Good points, although, I am not sure that the time gap between Plat and Parker is fully reflective, given that the men’s races are much closer than the women’s races in PTWC (save for the Tokyo sprint), so I get the sense that given how busy her race card is this year, she does tend to cost the end of the run at times.

Fair points about the men’s sprint races, that the swim tends not to be that selective. The more entertaining races tend to be the ones with tougher water conditions, where there are smaller packs in T1… I don’t think the length of the swim is the issue, it tends to be fewer people are uber aggressive on the bike, trying to break the race open. you’ve got some solid riders, but they will just ride their group up to the lead pack, and then save the legs for the run. We need a healthy Van Riel, Schomburg to get his mojo back, and Blu and Iden back on the circuit…

you can correct me but i think we had pretty much the same gender gap in the wc race in tokio 2021 when the females had a sprint race. and in a way its natural that platz is still better, he has been doing this for many many years while parker is in this category only for about 5 years now and while i tihink in some categories this can be an advantage i think in the wheelchair race its a total different thing as the mechanics are so different, and naturally will still improve. fact is the top athletes in pretty much every para category are serious elite level athletes and more and more are full time professionals .and while federation support can still be quite poor, in terms of sponsorships from companies some of those athletes are doing really well ,and some feds are doing a really good job too .

i agree I love the portugal itu race close to faro,