Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…

Can we talk about Hayden Wilde’s maneuver to fix his chain and chase back on for a second, that was hella impressive. It was. Well done by him. Do you think the front group let him back in intentionally? I do not. I think had Blu or a Brownless been there HW would have finished off the podium. The group had no leader.

And yes, GTB was a beast. chasing back onto the US and the Kiwis, then gapping them to be able to serve the penalty that Dickinson got, and still holding onto the silver.

Taking nothing away from GTB, but my take away was that the US 100% made the right choice leaving Summer off the relay at the games. I cannot believe how bad she looked on the bike and in transition. Even when GTB caught her, she kept going out of the draft zone. There was even a stretch where it looked like she decided she was going to take a pull. Why did she possibly think she should do that?

. Kevin McDowell is also returning to form, other than the hideous, un-aerodynamic moustache…

He looked out of shape to me.

. It’s also worth giving the Canadian team a shout out, with a different look team, and Mislawchuk racing subpar ailed by a stomach bug from Huatulco,

hard to believe but it has been 3 years since the Tokoyo test event. Mislawchuk hasn’t been in the top tier since then. He needs to find it again.

Can we talk about Hayden Wilde’s maneuver to fix his chain and chase back on for a second, that was hella impressive. It was. Well done by him. Do you think the front group let him back in intentionally? I do not. I think had Blu or a Brownless been there HW would have finished off the podium. The group had no leader.

And yes, GTB was a beast. chasing back onto the US and the Kiwis, then gapping them to be able to serve the penalty that Dickinson got, and still holding onto the silver.

Taking nothing away from GTB, but my take away was that the US 100% made the right choice leaving Summer off the relay at the games. I cannot believe how bad she looked on the bike and in transition. Even when GTB caught her, she kept going out of the draft zone. There was even a stretch where it looked like she decided she was going to take a pull. Why did she possibly think she should do that?

. Kevin McDowell is also returning to form, other than the hideous, un-aerodynamic moustache…

He looked out of shape to me.

. It’s also worth giving the Canadian team a shout out, with a different look team, and Mislawchuk racing subpar ailed by a stomach bug from Huatulco,

hard to believe but it has been 3 years since the Tokoyo test event. Mislawchuk hasn’t been in the top tier since then. He needs to find it again.

To be fair, apparently due to the wind, the elastics on Summer’s shoes snapped before her leg for the relay, not that I think that is why her mount was bad, since it was not the first time… McDowell looked fairly fit, but it may not have been the best idea of keeping him fresh for the MTR, since he did look rusty. It was still a feat for GTB to come back on someone with Summer’s run ability on that leg, even if her T1 made the feat more achievable…

I don’t know that Spivey will change nationalities this olympic cycle, despite her frustration with USAT. If she was going to swtich to race for Canada, she would have been racing under the World Tri flag this year. I suspect if she switches, it will be to France, but she’ll need to get hitched to Vincent Luis to speed that process along, and it’s likely too late for Paris (and to be clear I wasn’t suggesting that she was switching because the french need her, more that she was pissed at not getting selected for Tokyo by the US). The Canadian federation is coming out of the mess at the end of the olympic cycle and is in the process of replacing many key roles, so once people are up and running, hopefully things will be improved (on the plus side, we’re seeing more Canadians racing internationally (i.e. WTCS, World Cup, and Conti cups) than we have for many years, which should help with building more depth in the program than in recent years).

Kasper’s form looks to be coming back, but according to the broadcast from Montreal, she missed day 2 of the eliminator and the MTR due to a positive COVID test, which with the rules in Quebec means 5 day quarantine. Tyler Mislawchuk hasn’t been MIA since the Tokyo test event. He won Huatulco last year, but then got injured in Tokyo. He still managed a 6th at Abu Dhabi last year, and just missed the win at Huatulco a few weeks back, so he has been there or thereabouts. He was definitely off form in Montreal, but apparently picked up a stomach bug after the race in Huatulco. We’ll get a better sense of his form against a top field on Saturday in Hamburg.

As others have suggested, it’s a bit early to speculate for the Olympics, since a lot can happen in the next two years. That said, the rankings are pretty wide open. for the Men’s side for Tokyo, if memory serves people needed at least 4 races to achieve a score that would get them over the eligibility bar for selection. And those looking to earn auto spots for their countries were closer to 6 or 7 races (the max was 9 (4 and 5 from the two windows). On the women’s side, with 2 really strong results you could crack the eligibility barrier, but for most it was at least 2-4 races to hit that bar, and then 5 races or more to earn a spot for your federation. All this to say, even if people aren’t racing a lot now, it doesn’t mean they are out of the realm of possibility for gaining OG selection. That is more a matter of how each federation lays out their process, and how much is auto-qualification, vs. discretionary selection from anyone meeting the minimum bar.

I suspect there will be some drama in a few NFs, like US, GB, France (because of their depth), NZ, SUI (because of their politics)… I also suspect that some federations may change their nomination processes from the last cycle to try and resolve any ickiness from last time (but there’s the eternal battle between complete transparency through auto selection, vs. better flexibility to field your best team (i.e. more discretionary selections), as the more flexible approach tends to be ickier, and result in more appeals of selections).

Definitely excited for the Hamburg races, so many world tri athletes/world tri accounts have been inundating us with videos of people being waterboarded with Erdinger (it would be a good way to go, if they weren’t using the 0.0 on the podiums), that I’m ready just to see the racing… Hopefully nobody drinks from their shoe this time…

My guess is the us takes Spivey over Summer 10 times out of 10 with a discretionary pick. I think summer only got her spot in a sprint race (test event?). She was just really unlucky last time. Her odds of making the US team are very high.

Regarding Mislawchuk - there was a triathlon live video 3 years back about him, wilde and yee being the young gun up-and-comers. It is only by that impossible standard (comparing him to those two) that id argue he hasn’t performed well.

well, no. in the almost 3 years since the tokyo test event, which resulted in him being a medal (and gold) favorite, his results in WTS races (WCs are not the same thing with much weaker fields) are:

*2019 Lausanne Grand Final – DNF
*2021 Tokyo – 15th
*2021 Abu Dhabi (sprint) – 6th
*2022 Yokohama – DNF
*2022 Montreal (sprint) – 25th

So in the last 3 years, he has finished a grand total of 1 WTS olympic distance race and finished 15th, DNFed in the other 2 WTS olympic distance races he started, and finished 6th and 25th in the 2 WTS sprints he started. That is not exactly killing it – particular when canada went all in backing him for the gold. also of note is that he bizarrely decided to race long beach last year, a lowly americas cup race, a mere 8 days before tokyo. that was beyond idiotic and a clear sign of how screwed up canada was at the time.

That is more than a little harsh in my view. He tore his Achilles in the Tokyo race and he said on an interview after Montreal a few weeks ago that he’d picked up a bug in Huatulco (where he finished 2nd having won the race in 2021).

I’m not saying he’s a world beater - the Tokyo test event that he won was missing a few stellar names - but I do think when he’s 100% fit he’d be in my top 10 and capable of a few podiums on his day.

WRT to the Long Beach race, I was there, and from what I saw, it was clear they were practicing Sharpe domestiquing for him on the bike. Mislawchuk stayed on Sharpe’s wheel the entire bike leg in a huge pack at the front.

That is more than a little harsh in my view. He tore his Achilles in the Tokyo race and he said on an interview after Montreal a few weeks ago that he’d picked up a bug in Huatulco (where he finished 2nd having won the race in 2021).

I’m not saying he’s a world beater - the Tokyo test event that he won was missing a few stellar names - but I do think when he’s 100% fit he’d be in my top 10 and capable of a few podiums on his day.

citing actual facts is “a little harsh?” he has been a non-factor in WTS races since the test event in 2019. based on what he said after tokyo, i think it’s a tad of revisionist history to now claim he tore his achilles in the olympics:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/triathlon/olympics-tyler-mislawchuk-triathlon-day-3-1.6116944

note that he just cites some cramping but there’s nothing about tearing his achilles as an excuse. an actual tear of the achilles is a horrific injury that takes forever to recover from (look at some of the NFL players like Cam Akers or Tarik Cohen who have done this) and one never would omit any mention of it if that actually happened. if he tore his achilles in tokyo, he wouldn’t have been talking about some cramps and not mention it. i’m not saying he had no achilles injury – he probably did – but there’s no way he tore it the way you imply he did.

i do agree that when he is on, he’s definitely top 10 – like we saw at the test event – but he has been off since then. hopefully he gets back on because the sport is better with him competing for medals.

WRT to the Long Beach race, I was there, and from what I saw, it was clear they were practicing Sharpe domestiquing for him on the bike. Mislawchuk stayed on Sharpe’s wheel the entire bike leg in a huge pack at the front.

they definitely were doing that – which is beyond idiotic when you have an olympic race in 8 days on a different continent with harsh quarantine restrictions. they had all spring to practice this. it also should be noted that this was full of itu newbies with questionable biking skills so they are lucky they didn’t get taken down in a crash.

I’ve always like the Hamburg race.

Men: Wilde is obvious choice. I’ll go with Villaca and Luis to round out podium

Women: Lindemann Duffy Spivey for the podium

I’ll take the Germans to win the relay.

1. Wilde

2. Luis

3. Hellwig

4. Duffy

5. Lindemann

6. Potter

Penalty to make it interesting!

That run from Duffy was impressive. What a race from her.

Want to avoid spoilers, did they do the women’s or men’s race first please?

Women first

Women first

Cheers mate!

That run from Duffy was impressive. What a race from her.My comment was carefully chosen to avoid spoilers.

why would you click on a thread discussing the race and expect people not to be discussing the race?

why would you click on a thread discussing the race and expect people not to be discussing the race?Agree. But you always get some. And the amount of “discussing” suggests (see other thread bemoaning lack of interest in Montreal) that not many on ST are interested enough to even refer to a WTCS ‘over in an hour; cycle round together and see who’s the best runner’ race. For me the Women’s Wimbledon final was a better spectacle.
Hopefully the relay will be better, but GBR, DEU and FRA are already Paris 2024 qualified so the albeit vague interest can focus on other nations’ opportunities and screw ups. Sunday July 10: WTCS Mixed Team Relay – 1500 Hamburg (1400 UTC, 0900 ET) - competes with the icy Slav and the gobby Ozzy however.

why would you click on a thread discussing the race and expect people not to be discussing the race?Agree. But you always get some. And the amount of “discussing” suggests (see other thread bemoaning lack of interest in Montreal) that not many on ST are interested enough to even refer to a WTCS ‘over in an hour; cycle round together and see who’s the best runner’ race. For me the Women’s Wimbledon final was a better spectacle.
Hopefully the relay will be better, but GBR, DEU and FRA are already Paris 2024 qualified so the albeit vague interest can focus on other nations’ opportunities and screw ups. Sunday July 10: WTCS Mixed Team Relay – 1500 Hamburg (1400 UTC, 0900 ET) - competes with the icy Slav and the gobby Ozzy however.

FR and by default GBR qualified the other week. When/how did DEU qualify? The commentary said only 2 were qualified.

FR and by default GBR qualified the other week. When/how did DEU qualify? The commentary said only 2 were qualified.
Actually as hosts FRA were qualified ‘by default’ and at Montreal GBR qualified as best team not yet qualified. DEU qualified for the Olympic MTR at Leeds and skipped Montreal.