Non-carbon plates racing shoes

I have tibia and calf injuries very often, so looking for some racing shoes without carbon plates. Distances up to 10 km, maybe HM one day. My 10k PB is 43 min.
I’m thinking about Brooks Hyperion Max or Hoka Mach 6. Maybe some ON but don’t know their models much.
Could you please advice?
Thanks.

I need a rocker shoe, and the brooks hyperion seems to be the one working for me. cloud monster for on, gel nimbus from asics

I’d recommend against racing in the nimbus. The shoe is a marshmallow (that’s why I train in it), but slow as hell (zero rebound).

The superblast might fit the bill well (lighter, more energy return foam). The stack is over 40mm, so that might be an issue.

I was thinking about Superblast 2, but read a lot they’re like Novablast 4 (which I already have) but for longer distances what’s not a case. What do you think?

I would focus on addressing the tibia and calf issues through an appropriate strength program

I’m working on this of course but I came to the conclusion that maybe carbon shoes are no really necessary for me when my racing pace is 4:00 min/km for 5k and lower for longer distances.

I have used Brooks Hyperion Max. I have a spine injury whereby my sprinting pace is 5 min per km and steady running is 5:30 to 6:30 per km (you can subtract 2 min per km for what my paces were 30 years ago). I am not sure my push off even bends the carbon in my Brooks Hyperion Elite (really a carbon plated training shoe not a racing shoe) as my paces are identical in both. Anyway, I like the stability in both as I have balance issues with my left leg (and it is weak for push off).

Adidas SL2. Supershoe foam but no plate & you should be very fast in them.

I have tibia and calf injuries very often, so looking for some racing shoes without carbon plates. Distances up to 10 km, maybe HM one day. My 10k PB is 43 min.
I’m thinking about Brooks Hyperion Max or Hoka Mach 6. Maybe some ON but don’t know their models much.
Could you please advice?
Thanks.

Nike Streakflys are very light and cushiony.

Have you run on ol-school racing flats? I used to when I was younger and faster, but you need some good running structure to handle them without getting injured. Hyperion Max, Asics Hyperspeed, Adidas Adizero Adios models, these are all harsh shoes to train/race if you have lower leg issues.

Some modern carbon plate racing flats are much more forgiving than ol-school racing flats. 1st and 2nd generation Saucony’s Endorphin Speeds is a good example.

I’d recommend against racing in the nimbus. The shoe is a marshmallow (that’s why I train in it), but slow as hell (zero rebound).

The superblast might fit the bill well (lighter, more energy return foam). The stack is over 40mm, so that might be an issue. I originally purchased them as recovery shoe. Yes very slow if you are jogging/heel striking. But one day tried them for interval workout and was quite surprised as I ran more off the toes

Have you run on ol-school racing flats? I used to when I was younger and faster, but you need some good running structure to handle them without getting injured. Hyperion Max, Asics Hyperspeed, Adidas Adizero Adios models, these are all harsh shoes to train/race if you have lower leg issues.

Some modern carbon plate racing flats are much more forgiving than ol-school racing flats. 1st and 2nd generation Saucony’s Endorphin Speeds is a good example.

Do you really think Hyperion Max will be so bad?
I was also considering Endorphin Speed 3, oldest versions are not available anymore at least in Poland, but wasn’t sure if nylon plate would be much different then carbon one.

Yeah, same here in Canada, old stock of versions 1 and 2 are gone, which is a bummer as it is an amazing “fast trainer” shoe. All those light trainers are hard on lower legs.

Version 3 are simply different and I personally don’t like them as much as the previous ones, but I would definitely give them a try if I were in your shoes.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention. I also have Nike Tempo. Will be a big difference between them and Endorphin Speed 3/4 in terms of “friendliness” for lower legs?

I was also considering Endorphin Speed 3, oldest versions are not available anymore at least in Poland, but wasn’t sure if nylon plate would be much different then carbon one.

If you bend a shoe with a nylon plate and one with a carbon plate you will find there is a significant different in how rigid they are. I have tried carbon plated shoes and (coincidentally or otherwise) my achilles got sore. I run in shoes with nylon plates regularly with no issues. Your experience may differ of course!

Another option is the new Saucony Ride 17. Responsive foam blend and no plate.

Yeah, same here in Canada, old stock of versions 1 and 2 are gone, which is a bummer as it is an amazing “fast trainer” shoe. All those light trainers are hard on lower legs.

Version 3 are simply different and I personally don’t like them as much as the previous ones, but I would definitely give them a try if I were in your shoes.

Yeah, unfortunately 3&4 are nothing like 1&2. I’ve switched to the Hyperion Max for my daily trainer rotation.

This is my experience as well and the nylon plated speeds are only 10s/mi slower than my carbon plated speed pro’s for me.