New Trek Speed Concept

I got my BTA bottle too, but after using it gave up and went to Profile Design instead. Reasons:

1. Most triathlon bike courses provide wide mouth bottles. Even after taking out the BTA rubber insert from the refill hole, it is a very tight fit and I had trouble trying to do a quick refill. Without the rubber insert, hydration spills out easily when the bottle is 3/4 or more full

2. Getting the plastic cover off for cleaning is troublesome. The only way I (and also my local bike shop mechanic) could get the cover off was to pry an edge of the plastic cover with a small flat tip screwdriver. 2nd time I tried, I busted the cover’s plastic clip even though I was being gentle. You can’t take the cover off with your hands

3. There is a small white plastic washer around the bottom of the straw that can fall out easily when cleaning or if you remove the straw. If you lose it, your hydration will constantly dribble out

Well done doing this custom work!

I had a professional fit on the new SC. Even after we got everything dialed in, I really needed another 1/2 to 1 inch more length on the aerobars so my fingers could rest comfortably on the shifting buttons. I have to bend my wrist to compensate. The fitter had hit the limits on the aerobar and pads.

What’s out there for other aerobar options that work with the new SC?

I really like this color combo. Nice build!

For the SC owners: did you get more than one base tower with the bike or do you get one only? I only got one, which feels a bit restrictive when fitting the bike, especially if you need to go lower in stack?

You only get one. You should have gotten a 5mm spacer and two angled spacers though. You will have to order different tower bases if you need to make big changes. Same goes for the tower toppers.

I built a custom SC, but it was a huge pain to build. The frameset is only the frame and fork, base bars were separate, seat post was separate, risers, spacers for the base bar were also separate, aero bars are separate, but I went with an Aerocoach set up anyway. Basically, a lot of the bolts and other proprietary bits are separate orders, and there isn’t a list of what comes with the bars and frame, so you have to use the parts list, and even that doesn’t give you a list of what is or isn’t included.

I started the build on April 2022, and didn’t get the frame and bars until December of last year and then a bag of bolts and bits were missing from the base bars…so I couldn’t finish the build for a few weeks. They also don’t explain anywhere that the length of bolt for the base tower is dependent on the height of the base tower you use and the risers / spacers used with the tower. For example, if you use a 15mm tower with 20mm of spacers, you need a longer set of bolts than a 45mm tower with 5mm of spacers. Yeah…that’s not confusing at all. I ended up at the hardware store to source bolts (offset sizes) for the build.

I finally got the thing built, and it is an amazing bike, it’s fast, and surprisingly compliant and handles well. I don’t regret the purchase, but Trek needs to get their mess together because even the Trek store was lost with this one.

B4DD5A3A-9231-4230-B901-3E5CE563F1D3.jpeg

AeroCoach has a custom adapter that connects their bars to the tower / topper, it’s super clean, and allows routing of cables just like the stock one, but it is specific for their bars.

it does look good, but its a billion dollars on a bike we already spent a billion to buy lol

yep, that’s why I went with a custom build, and not a stock build. It was a huge pain in the but the because the frameset only comes with the frame and fork, everything else is separate, even the towers, spacers and bolts, and bottle cage bolts, seat post, base bars… it yeah…it was an expense though

Have you read the service manual? They show you what length screw you need for each tower base/ spacer/ angled spacer setup. But the manual shows they do seem to prefer you run a higher tower base instead of running 20 mm worth of spacers. The stock bike only comes with a 5 mm spacer and 2 angled spacers (+7 deg, -7 deg).

Also, if you do a project 1 frame, it comes with the all things you were missing. But, I do agree with you that a stock frame should come with all those things as well.

I based the fit off of my old SC, but I bought a few spacers to make sure because I had a drag2zero set up. The manual I have only shows the part numbers for the 3 bolt sizes, it doesn’t say which bolt goes with which tower, other than you may need different parts based on towers and spacers used. My AeroCoach system needs to have staggered bolt sizes for the tower toppers, I’m not sure if the stock tower toper do the same.

The frameset didn’t even come with a manual, I had to get the parts and service manual from the Trek store so we could figure out what to get.

I ended up needing a few extra spacers and stacking the angles spacers against each other, and ordered 45mm towers to redo it without that mess.

https://retailerassetsprd.blob.core.windows.net/...ZzABYHTFInUlT%2Fo%3D

Just took a closer at the service manual above (page 11). The lengths only vary based on your spacer setup (blue, green, red). The tower bases (orange) don’t affect the length of the required screw. I’ve got a 15 and 0 mm tower bases. The female end for thread engagement is the same distance from the top of the tower base between the different size tower bases.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 1.35.47 PM.png

crap missed that bit. My AeroCoach topper requires offset bolts, and I didn’t have the 40mm bolt because they make you piece every bolt and spacer and didn’t order it, so I had to source it from the hardware store with the shorter tower, the 45mm tower was easier.

I meant that the taller the base tower, the lass spacers you need, and thus the different size bolt required based on the tower height + spacers if any.

I based the fit off of my old SC, but I bought a few spacers to make sure because I had a drag2zero set up. The manual I have only shows the part numbers for the 3 bolt sizes, it doesn’t say which bolt goes with which tower, other than you may need different parts based on towers and spacers used. My AeroCoach system needs to have staggered bolt sizes for the tower toppers, I’m not sure if the stock tower toper do the same.

The frameset didn’t even come with a manual, I had to get the parts and service manual from the Trek store so we could figure out what to get.

I ended up needing a few extra spacers and stacking the angles spacers against each other, and ordered 45mm towers to redo it without that mess.

Just to note, we do not ship bikes with manuals, generally. We keep everything online and accessible for everyone to access - including a breakdown of parts under the “tech” section of each bike and frame so you know what you’re getting. Frames are always barebones unless ordered in Project One where you can add more for sizing purposes.

Has anyone found a 3rd party multi tool that fits in the frame compartment?

The Bontrager BITS Integrated Multi-Tool is sold out everywhere, but also I would like to have a multitool with a chain tool in it as well.

Measurements I took with my calipers on the storage compartment are a measely 2.4inches long by 0.9 inches wide by 0.4 inches high?

I just spent the last hour on amazon looking at Multi-tools and no one even comes close to making tools that small - forget about ones that have chain tool.

Thanks

LEZYNE V PRO 5

I do not have, have not seen, could not find any 3rd party tool that would fit this space. Kind of dumb.

I do not have, have not seen, could not find any 3rd party tool that would fit this space. Kind of dumb.

Sorry, that was me answering the question, poorly :).

The LEZYNE V PRO 5 fits.

treksclezynevp5.png

this

Did anyone try to fit a new downtube aero bottle from a new Speed Concept SLR to the previous Generation2 SpeedConcept? Will it fit?

Got my new P1 frame. I’ve been installing the etap from the old bike to this and adjusting it. The disc brake thing is new to me. Finished setting it up today but couldn’t go for a ride yet. Crap weather for a few days and a flat tire today. How do you open the through axle? The lever on the back wheel won’t come off and I believe it’s supposed to. The spare tire in the frame was a tight fit and a struggle!
Picture won’t upload. Hopefully this link can work.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/06bxQsQjAHTUeOpi6HDD2OJZg