New Trek Speed Concept

I have the stock aero bar setup, BUT I would like to try use xLab Torpedo instead of the Trek BTA.

Has anyone here found a way to do this? Pics would be great

Thanks!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=7731923#p7731923

PM me if interested in purchasing or want further details. Trek also has an offering to mount a standard bottle cage.

As posted above trek have a standard bottle holder - I ordered one as well waiting to arrive
Part number is (W5284485)

Mitch:

Do you have a timetable when the public will be able to buy whatever adapter some of the pros are using to run different extensions? Rudy Von Berg’s bike is an example. He seems to believe it will be available soon…correct?

Ordered P1 SLR 9 with DA eta 210 days

Thank you!

Negative, it is still TBD and something we’re evaluating. If I had to guess (and be a little vague, it would be Spring 2022).

Just read the whole thread as I am considering the new Speed Concept. Not sure if I missed it, but I have not seen any news about Trek making an adapter available yet. Does Trek actually make the adapter being used by those pro triathletes riding other extensions? If so, it does seem odd (to me anyway) that Trek would make a part that arguably provides a performance advantage for some but then not make it available to all - is it a liability thing?

Just wondering - for people wishing strongly for the adapter - what does the stock Trek cockpit not do that you would prefer to change? Are most hoping to ride super extensions without grinding anything down (drag2zero, aerocoach, etc) or looking for more angle (I think max stock is 14 degrees?) or trying to change arms cups to TriRig scoops or something else? Is the basebar design also such that it is not possible currently to swap for a different design that would provide more flexibility on choice of extensions?

Thanks for any thoughts

AFAIK adapters seem to vary from shims that are custom made, aerocoach makes some I believe as well as a few other brands.
Reason for change - prob a few here. The angles are 0, 7 or 14, nothing Inbetween or higher. The pads have 4 holes in the corner so pad movement is limited by moving the ‘bar cradle’ for/aft. There is also limits based on where you have your bars set up because they can Intefere with the pads themselves…. Lastly, the stock aerobars are ski tips and set quite a bit apart. Nothing like the mono bars of the previous gen where you could drive a bus through, but if you have small hands you can’t keep them together and close the gap. Even with big hands you prob couldn’t, I’m not sure. There are some that also complain that the ski tip itself is rather short - there is only a small surface area to wrap your hands around. It needs to be taller. Some would prefer something like the zipp vuka sort of high s bend etc, but instead your stuck wit two fists punching into the wind. Now I love the adjustability of the two aerobar sections, so I’m not sure what trek can do here. The plug in on the previous gen was a simple work around. This gen seems it would be a bit harder perhaps, unless you want to ditch the whole set up like the pros.

Personally, I dislike that I can’t get my hands higher and closer together on the stock setup. And adapter that gives the ability to run any round extensions I want, solves that problem for me. Sam Long and RVB have some kind of adapters that allow them to run 51ss extensions. My understanding is that was custom made for them by trek. Skye Moench had the adapter at one point earlier this season but she seems to have swapped to an aero coach solution since. If you want to run a d2z, wattshop, etc, it requires grinding off some “nubs” on the trek spacers so things sit flush. They aren’t exactly seamless solutions and the aesthetics aren’t the best. Personally, I’d prefer not to do that. It’s frustrating that trek provided the mono plug-in solution on the previous bike which was very popular but they don’t have a similar solution for the new bike. It goes to show that trek isn’t listening to their customer base.

So we actually have created custom solutions for our athletes - which we do in many disciplines. However, it has to go through a ton of approvals and testing before being sold to consumers. Setting up manufacturing to make parts is also a long process too. Currently, it is just one fella who designs the custom parts for these athletes, which some he does by himself without the aid of the prototype lab from my understanding. Our product team certainly hears the feedback that some riders want more adjustability, but this change or addition isn’t something we will see right away.

Our product team certainly hears the feedback that some riders want more adjustability, but this change or addition isn’t something we will see right away.

I get these things take time and you are just the messenger.

The bike was released over a year ago. I think we are well past “right away”. The mono plug in on gen 2 was available about a year after gen 2 was released. Seems only fitting the gen 3 bike followed suit, don’t you think? Even just an acknowledge that trek is working on something that will be brought to mass consumers would be highly beneficial before we fork out more money on a $10k+ bike for 3rd party custom solutions.

X2 and Ofcourse Mitch we def not directing that at you, but me and my little arms and hands, you can drive a truck through those bars 🤣

x3 Mitch

Even if trek charged some crazy price to give the consumer the option to run different extension they will sell.

Is there anyway we can get in touch with the person making this part?

So we actually have created custom solutions for our athletes - which we do in many disciplines. However, it has to go through a ton of approvals and testing before being sold to consumers. Setting up manufacturing to make parts is also a long process too. Currently, it is just one fella who designs the custom parts for these athletes, which some he does by himself without the aid of the prototype lab from my understanding. Our product team certainly hears the feedback that some riders want more adjustability, but this change or addition isn’t something we will see right away.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I do appreciate Trek’s priority on testing and safety.

And yet - if shopping for a new TT bike, one cannot help but notice how many fast pros making headlines on the current Speed Concept are riding non stock extensions. Some examples:

Fastest pro bikes at Kona 2022. Trek SC seems to be on the list more than any other bike - awesome. But, hmmm, looks like all have non stock extensions
https://www.triathlete.com/gear/bike/the-fastest-pro-bikes-at-the-2022-hawaii-ironman-world-championships/

Ellen va Dijk. World TT champ riding a current speed concept - awesome. But, hmmm, looks like she’s riding non stock extensions
https://racing.trekbikes.com/stories/trek-segafredo-women/2022-season-in-review-ellen-van-dijk

What conclusion should a potential customer draw about whether the Speed Concept is just as potentially fast if you are riding it with the stock extensions? I am sure the Speed Concept is a great bike with the stock extensions, but this one thing (a trek approved option to potentially ride an extension set-up like the fast pros) would stop me personally from ordering one today.

Given the painful recall Trek just went through on its one-piece carbon bars, you can bet they absolutely will not rush out any new part like this to the general public unless it is bullet-proof and highly idiot-resistant. Also while Trek and/or Pro’s might be willing to spend $1000+ (very easy to get to) for a full custom piece, that sort of cost would have a massively negative blowback on Trek. So it also has to be reasonably priced too. Oh, and not that many people will actually slap down their credit card for one- so they will probably lose money on it.

So while I would like one to tinker further with my position- I understand its probably not going to happen soon (or at all).

Given the painful recall Trek just went through on its one-piece carbon bars, you can bet they absolutely will not rush out any new part like this to the general public unless it is bullet-proof and highly idiot-resistant. Also while Trek and/or Pro’s might be willing to spend $1000+ (very easy to get to) for a full custom piece, that sort of cost would have a massively negative blowback on Trek. So it also has to be reasonably priced too. Oh, and not that many people will actually slap down their credit card for one- so they will probably lose money on it.

So while I would like one to tinker further with my position- I understand its probably not going to happen soon (or at all).

You make good points, however many of us think that it was an oversight that the initial bars did not come original equipment being more adjustable or allowing the ubiquitous standard of round extensions to be used. Trek knew from the progression of the aero bars on the first and second gen speed concept that the market wants (needs?) easy adjustability and the ability to use alternate extensions. This is not a surprise (at least it should not be).

I agree. I had the previous gen bike as well and the plug-in was a game changer. I thought a solution would be released pretty quickly, especially since many pros already were using something long before I got my bike and it was such a simple solution. I tried a bunch of third party options and spent a small fortune but finally found a solution that worked for me … I sold the bike and bought a Canyon!

I received my speed concept back in May and had to get through a couple races this summer before addressing my major issue with the bike. As it seems with everyone else, my main issue is the aerobar setup, way too wide and not enough tilt. Rather than spending thousands on the market equivalent, I made my own. Took about 30 hours of work. Extremely comfortable, tilt is 32°, made of one piece carbon fiber, full arm support, and has a central cavity for gels/anything else during racing. Had to shave off the nibs on the top spacer so the aerobars would sit flush when screwed in.

https://i.imgur.com/7Nyjjmp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NNWbABT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8wDfpSX.jpg

Hi:

I’m considering getting a new SC, currently have a Gen2 7.5 mechanical with 404 zipps.

Comparing the SLR6 vs. SLR 7, seems like the main differences are etap + pm on the SLR6, and Di2 on the SLR 7. Does the SLR6 seem like a better deal with the pm, or am I missing something? Price difference is +$700 on the SLR7. Is shimano that much better to skip the pm on the 6? Never had electronic shifting, so I’m new to all of it.

Or…should I just keep my Gen2? I signed up for IM Portugal which is quite hilly.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Hi:

I’m considering getting a new SC, currently have a Gen2 7.5 mechanical with 404 zipps.

Comparing the SLR6 vs. SLR 7, seems like the main differences are etap + pm on the SLR6, and Di2 on the SLR 7. Does the SLR6 seem like a better deal with the pm, or am I missing something? Price difference is +$700 on the SLR7. Is shimano that much better to skip the pm on the 6? Never had electronic shifting, so I’m new to all of it.

Or…should I just keep my Gen2? I signed up for IM Portugal which is quite hilly.

Thanks, much appreciated!

I am in the same exact boat thinking the same exact thoughts. I’m leaning towards the SLR6 for the reasons you stated. But I’m also debating staying with the gen 2 and keeping 9k in my pocket.

Interested in other perspectives.

I really like my gen 2 SC. I technically could buy the new SC but there is no way I can justify to myself spending 9k on a bike, that I still have to pedal. My wife has been super cool about all of my purchases, but for me the new bike isn’t worth it. However, you may be able to afford it and may make enough $ to get it. If you want it, can afford the go for it. Keep the Gen 2 SC for a trainer bike or spare just in case.

If you get one, post pics, there’s definitely not enough pics in this thread!

See if these work
3868E8EC-7E63-41CF-BF6B-5C6429E106F1.jpeg
527C9822-41AF-45F3-AEF3-ABCDE27E9288.jpeg
A8AD68C8-C30E-4FFC-9FC9-F1909372EE95.jpeg
3241BD0E-FCFD-4CDD-ADC8-B26F50460FF9.jpeg

I haven’t ridden a bike with rival etap but it’s theoretically down a level of components compared to Ultegra di2. Ultegra di2 is more equivalent to force etap. I would personally opt for the rival etap just to get a pm with the bike. And I’m not a sram or shimano die hard and can appreciate both components for what they are.

As far as whether you should stick to your gen 2 or not, that’s only something you can decide. The gen 2 is a great bike. If you are fine with rim brakes and don’t see the need for disc brakes, then stick to the gen 2. The bb90 and parts availability will eventually be an issue on the bike. If your bike doesn’t have a ton of wear and tear on it, you are probably good for a few more years.

I will say the new bike rides much more comfortable. If you are just looking for a shiny new bike, you won’t be disappointed.