New Trek Speed Concept

I removed the storage piece from the plastic cover and store 2 butyl tubes, 2 co2’s, inflator, and a multi-tool in the downtube. Everything but 1 tube is in a plastic zip lock bag which gets shoved down towards the bb. The 2nd tube rests just on top of the ziplock bag underneath the plastic cover.

I use an xlab cage mounted on the downtube and if I mount the cage as high as it can, I don’t have any issues with accessing the storage cover. You do have to angle it a bit though.

I removed the storage piece from the plastic cover and store 2 butyl tubes, 2 co2’s, inflator, and a multi-tool in the downtube. Everything but 1 tube is in a plastic zip lock bag which gets shoved down towards the bb. The 2nd tube rests just on top of the ziplock bag underneath the plastic cover.

I use an xlab cage mounted on the downtube and if I mount the cage as high as it can, I don’t have any issues with accessing the storage cover. You do have to angle it a bit though.

Well, that’s more encouraging. Is it that Bontrager mini multi-tool or will any smallish tool fit in there?

hey Mitch - up here in Canada, my trek dealer is still not able to order the BTA… any ideas to help a canuck out?

It’s one of the silca multi tools. Much bigger than the bontrager tool.

My shop showed there are none in stock – are they already sold out?

My shop showed there are none in stock – are they already sold out?
None in stock right now, but expected arrival of late June. I was able to order one about three hours ago.

I was able to order this morning through local Trek Shop but he says it won’t be in until June.

Steve, can u share a pic of your storage set up please?

hey Mitch - up here in Canada, my trek dealer is still not able to order the BTA… any ideas to help a canuck out?

As a fellow canuck, I’ll definitely look into that! I see that Canadian dealers have the order box greyed out for some reason. I’ll let you know once I know more!

edit They are getting to this right now - they are just making some updates for it to accurately reflect in Canada and then it should be ready to be ordered soon.

Mitch@tTrek - I am very excited to have just received my new Speed Concept. It is in the prime viewing spot in my living room right now. Such a beautiful bike.

I am a little confused by the open port just in front of the seat tube - the one used to adjust the seat height. It seems like it should have a cover or something to stop rain from getting inside the frame. Am I missing a part or is this the way it should be and perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks for your help.

Not to you specifically, but guys ( and gals) we need pics! This thread was started and I hoped to live vicariously through you all, but there’s hardly any pics! Please post some pics for us wanna be’s.

Thanks!!

soon, the Blip Box showed up last week so it is getting built up this week.

Vittoria Corsa Speed or Conti 5000 tires (on HED Vanquisher wheels)? any opinions on this?

As requested…here’s a picture my new SC - size Large, Mulsanne Blue - ordered from Scottsdale Cyclologic in November, arrived in April. Less than 50 miles on it so far due to an untimely case of covid. First impressions are amazing…but I’m upgrading from an Emonda with clip on aerobars, aluminum tubed wheels, rim brakes, and mechanical shifting…so not a real comparison!

The “start-up challenges” are discouraging and well documented in this forum - downtube bottle only supplies a drizzle of water, BITS multi-tool for flat kit is backordered everywhere, BTA water bottle ETA dates keep slipping, and computer\sensor mounting options is the wild west right now. I did have a problem with the M5 10mm screw holding in the bento box being too short (I removed the box for a test clean) but picked up a 20mm screw at a hardware store and that works fine. Chain tension seems a bit sloppy (dropping chain easy with a big of chain stay scrapes already) but that’s likely a mechanic problems not a factory problem (the LBS installed a Rotor 150mm crank).

I’ve got the Bontrager Hilo Speed Storage BTS with dual cages and an Xlab aero computer mount in the front. Still need to figure out how to mount my Varia on the seat post.

Trek Small.jpg

Any new SC owners play with disassembly for transport yet? I’m taking my Scicon Aerotech hard case to my LBS this week to see what it takes for this specific case. I’m guessing pedals off and seat post down\off. I’m just not sure how about the front end yet…if the aero tower will just need to come off and and the bars rotated down or the entire assembly disconnected…

There’s a computer mount that was specifically made for the bike that mounts to the cross bar between the aero bars… You could have ordered it with the bike in project 1. If you look at the service manual on trekbikes.com, you can get the part number and have your lbs order one.

Thanks, Steve, but I’m probably going to stick with the front computer mount I already have - not sure there would be any benefits to upgrading? Any recommendations on the rear tail light mount?

Thanks, Steve, but I’m probably going to stick with the front computer mount I already have - not sure there would be any benefits to upgrading? Any recommendations on the rear tail light mount?

Here’s the mount on my bike. It does give you adjustability on tilt and fore/aft. I personally like to have the computer as close to my hands as possible without getting in the way. That way I’m only moving my eyes to see the screen and not my whole head. There’s also a duo option where you can run a computer and front light off of that mount. Makes things a bit easier if you need to run a front light for those early mornings.

I use a Garmin varia as a tail light. I run a bottle bts so the light mount just below the saddle doesn’t work for me.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVH0k7nlccgkrioXNj_Rbq4gGd3lBW9I5Ipr39gojAN_QiFoYbbD0p3FD8KkfN1g3knh4QMC_8N6K9Lt8JPtG82XrcAs16FBR-8sB0IgILnZgkAEZ-gbc2fcQqolJbVSiJUNYwq7raRoBXZfjrEkf84pA=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

What’s the BTA cage\water system you have? Is this just temporary waiting for the Trek-designed system?

Steve, can u share a pic of your storage set up please?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUTY8PREOXVjrmAO1r9WB1g8EviYnFeX1Ej3fTTiBMmPLB3CkKSPhXesVKkpNrwwqhy9m4LCWJgQfwcFeZUbjXvwMZlZ-RkMg1pY0D31hQrGlz_Ogl5mWKRExUXuKI3NoluQmsWF945-4b6D5TS5gN3Jg=w627-h836-no?authuser=1[
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLV3j4hdUO0aPVa616a28iEcoNweJy1fFuy2rM2dWaxVR-ASQHVKP4lAvCVSMgu4SaxeN1I62y7yWRaRDZvwZ5IQIQVoEjODUEsySbjntdrV0llScNWmLa5T5fYP949mNC1MUrmKfgu3TnGsNVFQWvhRaA=w627-h836-no?authuser=1

What’s the BTA cage\water system you have? Is this just temporary waiting for the Trek-designed system?

I made a mount out of a carbon fiber plate that attaches underneath the arm cups. I needed a solution several weeks ago and didn’t want to depend on trek.