New Trek Speed Concept

Mitch,

Really appreciate you being on here answering questions. I have P1 order already in. A few more questions from me:

• Does the between the arms aero bottle come with the bike? Or is that going to be available in the future?
  • Does the frame aero bottle come with the bike?
  • The P1 order asked you for a specific tower base. Does this mean that the bike will only come with the one you specified in the order? Or will all the various tower base sizes come with the bike?
  • Do both the 0 and 14 deg angled spacers come with the bike?

Great to hear about your order - canā€™t wait to hear how you like it once it arrives!

The BTA bottle would be separate and available on itā€™s own.

The DT bottle will come with all Speed Concept orders.

All tower bases come with the bike, but when building to order, weā€™ll install the right one you requested. If you need to add any of the 5mm spacers, these have a slot in them so you wonā€™t have to remove and re-cable anything. The taller bases donā€™t have the slot which is why we ask for the size you want.

All angle spacers would also come with the bike.

Thanks! This was my suspicion on the tower bases but wanted to be sure. What about the tower toppers?

Is this thing really going to arrive in 11 days?

Tower Toppers would be on their own. We equip a one standard size for ā€œoff the shelfā€ models or just specific size requested for a Project One order. Which I think yea, you may have a new Speed Concept at your LBS in 11 days by the looks of things - that has got to be a record this yearā€¦ mind blown

Sounds good, thanksā€¦already have a call in to my local Trek dealer.

People keep saying things like the new bikes are ā€œunspectacular evolution rather than revolution.ā€ What exactly are you expecting or looking for? Iā€™m genuinely curious?

Digitising the wind tunnel data and plugging into my IMNZ model (because that was the one I have to hand) gives an advantage for the SC3 over the SC2 for a 5hr rider in the wind conditions measured for each year below:
2021: 44s
2020: 61s
2019: 125s
2018: 138s
2017: 45s

If you get a really windy day (2018 over 20kph winds) there is a nice advantage, but not much in low wind or if the wind direction lends itself to low yaw. So itā€™s going to be good for Kona (usually higher yaw conditions)

That said - I like this bike. It has just taken Trek a lot of work (hiding everything) to get a slim advantage over the old one.

That said - I like this bike. It has just taken Trek a lot of work (hiding everything) to get a slim advantage over the old one.

Wellā€¦not *everythingā€¦*they ā€œunhidā€ the braking systems :wink:

I appreciate putting some further numbers to it. Any reason your model shows such a significant difference compared to Trekā€™s numbers?

Iā€™d also be curious what the difference would be if you incorporated some of the changes to the old SC. For instance, add a giant aero water bottle instead of the small Elite bottle, throw on some Vision TFE or Drag2Zero ergo extensions, and swap to aero optimized wheels that work best with the old fork and frame.

I was leaving it unsaid that they had to hide everything else to make up for un-hiding the calipers.

Lets talk about the price of the new SC and how its priced out of most peoples range except for most dentistā€¦ Triathlon needs to have competitive affordable try bikes to attract new people.

That is worth discussion. I just checked the U.S. ā€œbig 3ā€ of Specialized, Trek, and Cannondale, and theyā€™ve all completely abandoned all but the top end for tri/TT bikes. The updated Specialized Shiv is now years old and theyā€™ve yet to trickle it down to below $9K. The disc SuperSlice still isnā€™t for sale at all, which may be a whole other story.

Hopefully Trek is just profit-taking on an initial release and comes out with some affordable builds next year or something.

At least Cervelo and Canyon are still interested in the <$4K triathlete/TTer, both with really sharp looking 105 builds.

I appreciate putting some further numbers to it. Any reason your model shows such a significant difference compared to Trekā€™s numbers?

Iā€™m only using the aero data - they are adding in the effect of tyre CRR. Plus my model isnā€™t using a simplistic weighted average yaw (I donā€™t know that they are, just that itā€™s common)

Iā€™d also be curious what the difference would be if you incorporated some of the changes to the old SC. For instance, add a giant aero water bottle instead of the small Elite bottle, throw on some Vision TFE or Drag2Zero ergo extensions, and swap to aero optimized wheels that work best with the old fork and frame.

Some of your options will make the SC2 worse. D2Z could go either way.
We could only know that, for an individual, with testing on that individual.

Iā€™m only using the aero data - they are adding in the effect of tyre CRR. Plus my model isnā€™t using a simplistic weighted average yaw (I donā€™t know that they are, just that itā€™s common)

That makes sense on the difference in savings. I guess that also shows you can achieve a majority of the savings by wheel and tire choice. Regarding the D2Z extensions being an unknown without testing and vary on a rider-by-rider basis, could you assume the same about their claims with their new extension shape and design. I thought I remembered them saying the shape provided the same benefit that other similar type extensions do by providing an extended aero profile in front of the forearm.

Glad I had my ā€œLife Alertā€ on me when I saw $8800 for bike with a Rival group set.

https://c.tenor.com/QBbxS7rPkSIAAAAC/infomercial-help.gif

I was leaving it unsaid that they had to hide everything else to make up for un-hiding the calipers.

ā€¦and the braking surfaces!

So if you build a bike by yourself (which I did with my 2019 SC) you can save a lot of money.
Sc 2022 Frame 4500
DA di2 Groupset 2500
Wheels 1500
Saddle 200
Cockpit 500 ?

So my build is around $9000ā€¦ cheaper thsn $14500 MSRP.
Well the new bike didnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t really impress me, so I will keep my current speed concept few more yesrs until I see something on a market which Will really interest me.

So if you build a bike by yourself (which I did with my 2019 SC) you can save a lot of money.
Sc 2022 Frame 4500
DA di2 Groupset 2500
Wheels 1500
Saddle 200
Cockpit 500 ?

Well the new bike didnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t really impress me, so I will keep my current speed concept few more yesrs until I see something on a market which Will really interest me.

I like the look of the new SC, but I canā€™t afford the spike (anticipated) in price. I really like the look of the Gen 2 SC and itā€™s still a top level bike. I think we all need to remember that we still have to pedal these bikes. I canā€™t imagine the 10k price will increase our speeds nearly what we want it to.

Iā€™m with you, Iā€™ll wait another 2 to 3 years and consider getting it when the prices drop. Otherwise, Iā€™ll look for a used one. I still personally donā€™t get the ā€œneedā€ for disc brakes on a TT bike.

Honestly, I would love to have the money for TREK to build me a custom Gen 2 version with the 800 level carbon.

Iā€™m curious about the isospeed, but wonder if that will have complications as well.

Any info on weight of the bike?!

Any info on weight of the bike?!

What ya wanna know? Weight data is all on www.trekbikes.com/speed-concept currently, but if you donā€™t see something, let me know!

Sc 2022 Frame 4500
DA di2 Groupset 2500
Wheels 1500
Saddle 200
Cockpit 500 ?

The frame is $5k. And that doesnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t include the front end which is probably another $700-1200.

You arenĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t exactly comparing apples to apples here. Thar sc price tag ($13500) comes with da 9200/red axs and Aeolus RSL wheels. You arenĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t getting DA 9200 or red axs for $2500. 9100Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¦ I can see. Same goes for the wheels.

ThatĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s not to say building up a frame isnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t a good idea. If you are willing and want to take the time source used or older model components, I think it makes sense and a great way to save some money.

IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢m still not feeling ready to pay more for a TT bike than for a Ducati.

Seriously. The mind boggles how a Ducati can be cheaper, yet here we are.

I was at the Cyclologic event last night.

First off the bikes are beautiful in person. Trek still has the best in paint design. They are obviously well thought out.

The RSL75 was amazing. Optimized for 26-28mm. I couldnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t believe how wide it felt.

People were talking about IsoSpeed. The comments from the pros were that us was instantly noticeable from riding gen2. That it was really amazing. They did have 2 local guys ride the bike to get some real world testing. I was talking to one of them before the event and he said the day he test rode it, he sold his other TT bike. He took it out on the Beeline and could hardly feel the normal bumps. 2nd guy said the same thing. He rode it, called a guy who wanted to buy his TT already, and sold it.

They had a Di2 ultegra 12sp build on display. Wow that is a nice group set. The FD is almost gone itĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s so small. They hydro brake levers are as well.

The one thing I did ask is about swapping rotor size. 160 is standard but you can go 140.

Last thingĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. Ben and TO are both jealous of HollyĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Crome blue bike. Lol