New Trek Speed Concept

Mitch - do you have a fit chart or calculator you can share? I am trying to figure out the exact setup to order particularly with the front end.

(p.s. Just to correct Dan, the isospeed system isnā€™t like - or does the same job as a carbon plated shoe is. Either way, Iā€™m wondering what measurable advantages the isospeed damper system provides in reality.)

If youā€™re unfamiliar or have not used our IsoSpeed system in bikes like the Domane, IsoSpeed is designed to reduce muscle fatigue. This is pretty key for a triathlete who plans to shift to their run after riding their bike - you want your legs to be fresh. IsoSpeed will help to keep the vibrations down that echo to your leg muscles.

Considering the price, its a shame that a good few hundred $$$ of carbon will go straight in to the bin (or at least a box on a shelf somewhere)

Now that there are so many custom and semi-custom aerobar options, I expect a lotā€¦if not most people who buy this bike will swap them out straight away. It would be helpful if there was a universal mounting option so that you can easily swap your sexy custom bars from bike to bike.

(p.s. Just to correct Dan, the isospeed system isnā€™t like - or does the same job as a carbon plated shoe is. Either way, Iā€™m wondering what measurable advantages the isospeed damper system provides in reality.)

If youā€™re unfamiliar or have not used our IsoSpeed system in bikes like the Domane, IsoSpeed is designed to reduce muscle fatigue. This is pretty key for a triathlete who plans to shift to their run after riding their bike - you want your legs to be fresh. IsoSpeed will help to keep the vibrations down that echo to your leg muscles.

Yep, Trek mentioned on their website about some testing of this. Bearing in mind this is a novelty for tri bikes, will any of this data be shared ?

Service Manual

https://retailerassetsprd.blob.core.windows.net/techassets/TK_SpeedConcept_MY22_ServiceManual.pdf?sv=2018-03-28&ss=bfqt&srt=sco&sp=r&se=2062-03-20T02:32:45Z&st=2019-03-19T18:32:45Z&spr=https&sig=UogJIteiFltPX66np2M0a3esSu1uZzABYHTFInUlT%2Fo%3D

Mitch - do you have a fit chart or calculator you can share? I am trying to figure out the exact setup to order particularly with the front end.

Hey Steve! Weā€™re going to have an online fit calculator that will be live soon. In the meantime, Iā€™m working on obtaining ā€œhard copyā€ documents to keep on file for any questions should someone reach out to me that canā€™t access it. Iā€™ll assist with fits in the Fit Assistance Thread (aka Official Speed Concept Thread) as Dan linked in his article.

the isospeed system isnā€™t like - or does the same job as a carbon plated shoe is. Either way, Iā€™m wondering what measurable advantages the isospeed damper system provides in reality.

I have both a P5 and a Madone. I can tell you the first time I got on the Madone with its top tube and seat tube iso speed, I had an oh shit moment, in a good way. I am continually blown away how the Modone is both the most comfortable and most responsive bike Iā€™ve ever owned on imperfect pavement. Itā€™s so smooth. If I hadnā€™t ridden it myself, Iā€™d call BS on all the Iso speed comfort claims. If the SC performs half as well as the Madone from an isolation standpoint, I can see it allowing the rider to maintain comfort for a much longer time, allowing for better application of power over time. Not your quantitative answer, but I think the qualitative leads to the eventual quantitative.

Yep, Trek mentioned on their website about some testing of this. Bearing in mind this is a novelty for tri bikes, will any of this data be shared ?

Unsure about data for the SC, but we have data plots around the Domane and Madone that have been made public. The most recent being the Madone which uses a similar leverage system as the Speed Concept, but we changed the pivot location on the SC to be more forward to be optimized for a triathleteā€™s weight bias.

OK, two plots, is it faster than the old P5?

https://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/0/130560-largest_tunnel1.jpghttps://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/Aero_YAW_TEXT?$responsive-pjpg$&cache=on,on&wid=1440

Hey Mitch

Interested in the frame, it does not look like the frame only option comes with the aerobars? Is that correct? I am hoping that it does and I am just missing it?

Thanks

p.s. As was picked up by a high profile figure in the game that I was just chatting to elsewhere, the graph that Trek put on its website to show its aero gain really is very very poor. Itā€™s that kind of error that undercuts a brand.

Do you mean a graph with no gradations or units on the vertical scaleā€¦ummm, yeahā€¦LOL

https://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/Aero_YAW_TEXT?$responsive-pjpg$&cache=on,on&wid=1440

Hey Mitch

Interested in the frame, it does not look like the frame only option comes with the aerobars? Is that correct? I am hoping that it does and I am just missing it?

Thanks

Same question here!

OK, two plots, is it faster than the old P5?

https://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/Aero_YAW_TEXT?$responsive-pjpg$&cache=on,on&wid=1440

As I hinted earlier (and as Tom A has also spotted), this poor graph is awful (the lack of a properly labelled vertical axis being the main issue) and really undermines a brand if youā€™re trying to give the impression that some level of science has been involved. It really undermines a brand because it suggests the marketing dpt. are in charge of the science and that instantly makes me lose confidence in them. I thought Trek were above this nonsense after the decent white paper they put out when the original speed concepts were launched years ago.

Yeah, agreed. The engineer in me is also screaming at the monitor.

A few thoughts while I have a moment between clientsā€¦

Itā€™s a fine bike, but I donā€™t believe it to be a home run right out of the box. I do, however, believe it can get better with time. Proprietary extensions with one option for shape is a sin, and a clear disconnect between the designers of this bike and end user, as is the lack of more and easier tilt adjustment. This should have been a lesson learned from the previous SC. To their credit, this mistake was recognized very quickly, and a fix is likely on the way sooner rather than later. Thereā€™s actually a picture of a bike with the fix already installed (for extensions, I mean) on this very thread.

As an end user, I think this bike works better with Di2 rather than E-Tap solely because you can unplug the shifters at the end of the extension. Much easier to take apart that way and adjust. Sram should fix this oversight. Allow the user to unplug at the bar end shifter.

This bike is primed for custom extensions, and I would expect to see many Trek sponsored athletes on custom very soon. :wink:

As an end user, I think this bike works better with Di2 rather than E-Tap solely because you can unplug the shifters at the end of the extension. Much easier to take apart that way and adjust. Sram should fix this oversight. Allow the user to unplug at the bar end shifter.

Appreciate your insight Jim.

Donā€™t you think the shifter issue (quoted above) is an issue on ALL Tri/TT bikes? It doesnā€™t seem necessarily specific to this new bike.

Not sure why there are no axis labels on that graph. Here is one that is better detailed for all to view.

This compares 2014 SC with an Elite downtube bottle, a BTA bottle, and a behind the saddle bottle vs a 2022 SC with the aero downtube bottle, a BTA bottle, and a behind the saddle bottle. Both bikes tested with 60mm deep rims with the same physical tube/tire.

MY21 Speed Concept plot.png

Hey Mitch

Thanks

Frameset will be sans-cockpit.

Not sure why there are not axis labels on that graph. Here is one that is better detailed for all to view.

This compares 2014 SC with an Elite downtube bottle, a BTA bottle, and a behind the saddle bottle vs a 2022 SC with the aero downtube bottle, a BTA bottle, and a behind the saddle bottle. Both bikes tested with 60mm deep rims with the same physical tube/tire.

Thanksā€¦better tell the website guys :wink:

Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s with ā€œMannyā€ on board as well? (just based on the relatively high CdA values)

Not sure why there are not axis labels on that graph. Here is one that is better detailed for all to view.

Thanksā€¦better tell the website guys :wink:

Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s with ā€œMannyā€ on board as well? (just based on the relatively high CdA values)

Already on it!

And you betcha, Manny was on the bike and pedaling it - lucky fella got to be one of the first ā€œpeopleā€ to ride it. Speaking of Mannyā€¦ we had the wheels spinning at road speed and tested these on the same day with back-to-back runs. MannyĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s position is monitored with three fixed cameras placed around the wind tunnel using an image overlay so we can make sure he doesnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t move when we swap bikes. Also, fun fact, the test was done at the National Institute for Aviation Research at Wichita State University (thanks WSU!).