New Trek Speed Concept

https://media2.giphy.com/media/QBd2kLB5qDmysEXre9/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47w6n0urrmns5hg7u2flccjcjt1737q929i9uxqxie&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

love it Mitch XD

YAY https://www.trekbikes.com/...colorCode=grey_black

no custom Project one?

US is live as well.

https://youtu.be/hAUfNZS-pLE

$18k!!!

$18k!!!

Thats Canadian. Not USD.

US site

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/triathlon-bikes/speed-concept/c/B231/#breadcrumbs

It look solid enough. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m a fan of the proprietary extension area. The cheeky attempt to claim a 15w gain is a little underhand (thanks for discussing that Dan). All in all, it looks like a well made but unspectacular evolution rather than revolution. I guess thatā€™s really all we could hope for. What are the differences between the SL and SLR versions though ?

To counter what Dan said in his article, Iā€™d argue this isnā€™t really the last one of the big brands to launch a disc braked bike - Giant are yet to show their replacement for their Trinity.

(p.s. Just to correct Dan, the isospeed system isnā€™t like - or does the same job as a carbon plated shoe is. Either way, Iā€™m wondering what measurable advantages the isospeed damper system provides in reality.)

People keep saying things like the new bikes are ā€œunspectacular evolution rather than revolution.ā€ What exactly are you expecting or looking for? Iā€™m genuinely curious?

People keep saying things like the new bikes are ā€œunspectacular evolution rather than revolution.ā€ What exactly are you expecting or looking for? Iā€™m genuinely curious?

At least with Cervelos PX or P5 there was a genuine difference in philosophy and form between them. The SC looks a little safe - particulary as we had to wait so long for it. With all the expertise out there in aerodynamics in many industries, is this really the end game of the evolution of the triathlon bike ? I was hoping for a bit more work in the ā€˜rider onā€™ developments, maybe some work on surface textures, adjustable wings and tuneability and some real boundary pushing. Not only this, is this another bike optimised for and basing its gains based on the Kona course ? - an event that many of us wonā€™t be heading to. Maybe this really is as far as bike development goes. I guess that with no UCI rules to worry about, I was hoping for more.

All this isnā€™t to say this is a bad bike - itā€™s not. However, its asking a lot for us to rush to buy a bike that appears expensive and will look decidedly bland in the transition racks.

It look solid enough. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m a fan of the proprietary extension area. The cheeky attempt to claim a 15w gain is a little underhand (thanks for discussing that Dan). All in all, it looks like a well made but unspectacular evolution rather than revolution. I guess thatā€™s really all we could hope for. What are the differences between the SL and SLR versions though ?

To counter what Dan said in his article, Iā€™d argue this isnā€™t really the last one of the big brands to launch a disc braked bike - Giant are yet to show their replacement for their Trinity.

(p.s. Just to correct Dan, the isospeed system isnā€™t like - or does the same job as a carbon plated shoe is. Either way, Iā€™m wondering what measurable advantages the isospeed damper system provides in reality.)

first, thank you for the reading what we have on the front page, itā€™s here for those who donā€™t know we have a front page. i could absolutely see anybody taking issue with that statement i made about IsoSpeed. i take issue with my own statement. but the more i think about it, the more defenses come to mind to argue in favor of that analogy.

Good article, I reached out to my favorite LBS to get them to order one of the D/A models with the RSL75 wheels. Heavens knows when they will arrive, but my current Speedconcept will cover training/racing until then.

curious how some trek sponsored triathletes got aftermarket aero extensions installed.

KA-CHING!!!

The good news is that it does have disc brakes and a threaded bottom bracket.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/speed-concept/

trek speed concept first three.JPG
trek speed concept last four.JPG
trek speed concept next two.JPG
trek speed concept last two.JPG

first, thank you for the reading what we have on the front page, itā€™s here for those who donā€™t know we have a front page. i could absolutely see anybody taking issue with that statement i made about IsoSpeed. i take issue with my own statement. but the more i think about it, the more defenses come to mind to argue in favor of that analogy.

Well, a carbon plated shoe advantages are not about damping but lets not split hairs. I was hoping youā€™d mention the 1990ā€™s softrides :wink:

Just picking up the earlier point, Iā€™m also surprised more of an attempt hasnā€™t been made to the shroud the front caliper. Scott seemed to be the only brand that worked on that so far. Overheating isnā€™t going to be an issue that is braked as rarely as this will likely be.

p.s. As was picked up by a high profile figure in the game that I was just chatting to elsewhere, the graph that Trek put on its website to show its aero gain really is very very poor. Itā€™s that kind of error that undercuts a brand.

Lets talk about the price of the new SC and how its priced out of most peoples range except for most dentistā€¦ Triathlon needs to have competitive affordable try bikes to attract new people.

Any intel on whether the new SC will be available as frame-only?

Maybe this is a silly question - but is it clear to everyone that the ā€œframesetā€ option includes the base bar/aero extensions? The photo on the website does not include the base bar/extensions. Seems it would be strange to exclude them but Iā€™m paranoidā€¦

YAY https://www.trekbikes.com/...colorCode=grey_black

no custom Project one?

Project One is on the way - just finalizing the uploads!

curious how some trek sponsored triathletes got aftermarket aero extensions installed.

Itā€™s TBD, but we have been working on a extension plug-in for riders to use their own choice of extensions if they prefer the comfort of others over the stock. However, our extensions were specifically designed to cut wind using a D-shaped design which streamlines airflow from the riderā€™s arms.