New Chicagoland Ironman?

Found a post from Tri312 multi sport saying there is going to be a Chicagoland Ironman announcement next week.

Anyone have any details?
IMG_4294.jpeg

Sounds like Rockford, per someone I know who’s fairly involved in Chicagoland and US tri community.

Rockman Lives!

Sounds like Rockford, per someone I know who’s fairly involved in Chicagoland and US tri community.

Thanks! Full or 70.3?

Thanks! Full or 70.3?

With Madison just 90 minutes away I can’t see them adding a full unless Wisconsin is going away.

Being from Chicagoland, this race doesn’t appeal to me. I wonder why they chose this. I’d rather drive further out to one of the other 70.3 in surrounding states.

As someone who lives in Chicago, that would not have a huge appeal. Rockford is just far enough away that I’d still have to get a hotel, and not high on my list of local places to visit. Maybe those living in the western suburbs would be close enough to sleep in their own beds, but it’s still about an hour.

And where would you swim in Rockford?

After watching the PTO race last year, I was kind of hoping for Milwaukee. But that’s obviously not the Chicagoland area, which is how the Tri312 announcement framed it.

Rockman Lives!

What clown would host a race there :).

Chip in that clown suit with his megaphone… What a race director!

Probably not a lot of us left around here that remember that race.

As stated before, no place to swim. Having lived there, pretty hard to imagine where that would be.

And yes, I did Rockman and knew Chip for a lot of years…crazy times, for sure.

Bus every one north 1.2 miles, drop them in the rock. Viola. Lol.

I’d probably do that race, to be honest. Quick drive down from Madison. And the bike would be pancake flat.

Bus every one north 1.2 miles, drop them in the rock. Viola. Lol.

I’d probably do that race, to be honest. Quick drive down from Madison. And the bike would be pancake flat.

Haha… wonder how many logs are floating along with us. Not many spots for transition. Maybe Hard Rock Cafe Rockford would sponsor. ;-)…

Sounds fun, NOT!

So many options… why Rockford???

That was one of my first half Ironman races…I did it the year there was a tornado warning for the race area during the race….

Probably took the host city giving them the best deal.

So many options… why Rockford???

What would you say are the best options? I’d like Evanston since that provides access to all the great cycling north and west of the city, but I think that area is too pricey and the locals wouldn’t be thrilled.

If you move away from Lake Michigan, what are the swim options? Fox Lake?

Lake Geneva would be nice, but that’s not exactly Chicagoland.

I suppose there are south side options, but I’m not familiar with that area. Calumet Park is quite large and would easily hold transition, but I’m not sure about bike or running routes out of there.

What would you say are the best options?

The Indiana Dunes area is just over the border and extends for miles. It’s still considered the Chicagoland area.

Anywhere in the Des Plaines river that makes sense? With the success of Salem Oregon, I assume Ironman is looking for river locations. Joliet?

What would you say are the best options?

The Indiana Dunes area is just over the border and extends for miles. It’s still considered the Chicagoland area.

I could see that working. It’d be preferable to Rockford.

I was kind of hoping for Milwaukee. But that’s obviously not the Chicagoland area, which is how the Tri312 announcement framed it.

I tend to agree that I would be much more excited to make the trip if it was something like Milwaukee or in the downtown of Chicago.

The ease of getting into a big city and just saying put without having to arrange a lot of travel-within-travel logistics is really nice. No so interested in a “Chicagoland” suburbs race.