Need a new head unit for power--and I know nothing about them

I’ve been using my LYC with my powertap and a stages dash with my Stages crank based power for the last fifteen years, but the LYC bounced off on a climb last year and the Dash is not reading altitude anymore after it bounced off a couple of days ago.

I mostly just use it for lap time and lap power and total ride time so I don’t need anything fancy. I don’t need to nav with it. I don’t need color.
I like altitude, but it is not necessary. My phone records data while riding and I check it if I’m lost, but mostly it is there for emergency and Spotify. I don’t want to use it as my computer.

Recommend me, please.

P.S. If you have some used you are looking to move along, feel free to PM me.

You might think you don’t need nav, but it’s one of the best features on these head units. Even if you use it once per year, you’ll be SO glad you had nav.

Also amazing, is the ‘climb’ feature like Garmin’s climbpro or other units. It’s a total game-changer on hills. You know that anxiety you get when you’re riding a big climb that you’ve never ever ridden before, possibly on a century fondo or something like that where you have to save your energy appropriately? Or you’d like to attack since you feel good but you can’t remember if the climb is 5 more minutes or 20 more minutes? That’s totally solved with Climbpro. You hit the climb en route (new Garmins don’t even need a route programmed, they turn on automatically on big climbs) and it shows you the whole climb, all the steepest parts in a color graph, and distance to the top. It’s really, really useful.

I only need these features a few times a year where I’m riding out of the routes I know super well, but they’re so useful that I would have gone out and bought a unit capable of these features now that I know had well they worked, even if it meant rendering my first headunit obsolete.

I use a b/w Garmin headunit, but it’s pricey at $300+.

I don’t think you can go wrong with something like this igpssport that does nav, color, and iclimb

but if you’re really set on getting a basic unit, at low cost, they make $50 ones, or you could get something similar and low-cost from Garmin, Wahoo, etc.

I’m a fan of the Garmin Edge 130. Compact, small, provides all of the things you describe.

I’ll also suggest a Garmin if you’re riding outside a lot, due to the support for the Varia radar. If you have a friend that’ll let you try it, you might find it worthwhile.

The cheapest Garmin head unit that’ll do that plus power, will be a Garmin 130.

I’ve been using my LYC with my powertap and a stages dash with my Stages crank based power for the last fifteen years, but the LYC bounced off on a climb last year and the Dash is not reading altitude anymore after it bounced off a couple of days ago.

I mostly just use it for lap time and lap power and total ride time so I don’t need anything fancy. I don’t need to nav with it. I don’t need color.
I like altitude, but it is not necessary. My phone records data while riding and I check it if I’m lost, but mostly it is there for emergency and Spotify. I don’t want to use it as my computer.

Recommend me, please.

P.S. If you have some used you are looking to move along, feel free to PM me.

Garmin 130 would work, or a used SRM PC 8 if you want something a bit snazzier. Cheaper options are Bryton or Magene, both of which work perfectly well.

If you are going to use your phone to record, then an option is the old Wahoo RFLT. It basically takes the data being recorded by the Wahoo app on your phone and mirrors it. I have one I no longer use, PM me if interested. Here’s some data on it: https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-RFLKT-Computer-iPhone-Android/dp/B00BAPM39A

If you want a stand alone head unit, then one of the lower end Garmins with the B&W screens is a good option. Lots of used ones around on eBay and ST Classifieds.