My cousin is racing IMLP as his first triathlon... and he might do pretty damn well!

This story is too good not to post for anyone who enjoys a good triathlon journey. My cousin, who has always been an active person but had limited experience in the endurance world,** signed up for IMLP. **This will be his **FIRST **triathlon. He would like to qualify for Kona if not in this race then in the future.

As of August 2023- did not own a bike, could not swim freestyle had a couple years of running under his belt. I’ll break this story down into chronological segments by sport. The swimming segment is the best if you don’t want to read the whole thing. I asked him if I could post this here and he said yes he would like to see what people think.

Swim
(Aug-Sept,23) He started just swimming lengths at his Goodlife fitness pool (I had to convince him to buy goggles). After about a month of this he signed up for essentially adult swimming lessons and learned the basics of breathing during freestyle, etc. Following this (~Nov-Dec, 23) he signed up for stroke mechanic lessons from someone who really understood freestyle swimming. Over these ~4 months he went from not being able to swim with his face in the water to being a ~1:50-2:00/100m swimmer with decent technique.

He has the option to live where he wants working from home and told me that he was thinking about Tuscon. When he arrived he was trying to find a swim club- I told him to contact Aquabears thinking maybe they’d have a beginner program. Hilariously, a week later he is swimming in Lionel’s group- completely oblivious to who all of the pros were. He knew who Lionel was only because we are from the same area of SW Ontario. I remember talking to my cousin and he’d say things like “someone was here for a few days with a camera crew, I think her name was Emma” (it was Emma Pallant-Browne after Miami). He swam with Aquabears for his whole time in Tuscon (Jan-March, 2024). During this time he went from being a 1:50-2:00/100m swimmer to a 1:35-1:45 swimmer with good technique, flip turns and all.

(April-present, 24) Moved back to Ontario, Canada and continued swimming by himself and continued to progress. A couple weeks ago he swam a 6:02 400m LC time trial. He worked extremely hard at this and I am quite impressed. From around Jan-now he has avg’d around 18,000m per week.

Bike
(August, 23) buys a ~2010 Focus Izalco Chrono bike. I helped him find the gear he needed. He went through learning to ride with clipless and all the other ins and outs of riding.
(Oct, 23) buys a Tacx neo 2 trainer and gets on zwift.
(Jan-March, 24) Rode a combo of outdoors in Tuscon and Zwift.
(April-Present, 24) I believe he did ~280 watts for the zwift 20’ ftp test (in aero bars) at 160lbs, he has done 205 watts for 6 hours covering 200+km outdoors with workouts like 10x15’ @ 220 watts. He avg’d around 9 hours per week of riding for nearly the entire year with his recent biggest weeks being close to 12 hours.

Run
This is the only sport he had experience with prior to signing up for IMLP. He had run a 1:34 HM and a ~3:30 marathon which he did with a stress fracture and a cold last year. His running progress seemed gradual for the first 6 months and then when he got back from Tuscon all of a sudden he was running mid 17 minute 5ks. He has run some 40’ bricks off of 6 hours rides and come close to 10km. He has also run a few solid 30+ long runs. He’s avg’d ~50km per week since January with the last 8 weeks or so biggest being 68km.

To sum it up, in total he has been putting in around 20 hours per week for the entire year and I am pretty damn impressed. Around March he started using Mark Allen’s TriDot training program at the maximum volume setting. I am shocked that his body has tolerated the training load coming from such little aerobic work experience. He seems to have everything together including nutrition. I am excited to see what he can put together at LP!

His Strava is here: https://www.strava.com/...12?oq=tyler%20sinden
He has documented this whole journey on his Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eItxsNJoSo

(Edit: added his Strava and Youtube links)

Very cool! I’ll be at IMLP next week as well. I’ll be on the lookout for Tyler.

Wow! Definitely training goals for a lot of people being described in this post.

Sounds like he has a lot of time to train during the week with his work from anywhere job which helps so much putting in those hours.

That’s some nice progression there for a newbie. What’s his age, 55+???

I ask because you said he is trying to qualify for Kona, and with those times seems like that would be the first category he could possibly do it in. I believe the mens times to get in this year are pretty tough with all the make up spots gone already and just that awful backlog they are working through…So you said he is now a 1;35 to 1;45 swimmer now, is that in that Tuscon pool where he gets to swim with Lionel?? Or a back home time in a LCM pool??

Hopefully you can clue him on on the importance of nutrition in an ironman, this being his first race and all. Unfortunately almost no one nails that first time out…

From the video linked in the first post, I’d assume he’s in his 30s.

There’s actually quite a few Kona slots at Placid, maybe 50? So the bigger AGs might have 5-6 slots before any rolldowns.

Really enjoyed reading through this – your cousin has made some amazing progress in all 3 disciplines. I would tell them to not stress about a KQ & just go out & race to current conditions/factoring in whatever the weather is. Looks like sub-10 would be a reasonable goal but it’s always hard to predict IM times. Somewhere just above 1hr swim/5ish bike/then the run is a bit of a question mark. Mid-17 for 5k puts 3:20-3:30 in play but that might be a lot to ask for in a debut & might lead to a big slow down if that pace is too hot. Reality is most people who KQ in the younger AGs in the US are hitting pro qualification standards. Taking some crazy performances to get it done these days. Hopefully he has a good mindset going in & will be happy with the day. Report back afterwards!

Thanks for the comments and input all.

Yes, I have been emphasizing that he needs to go out and enjoy the day, be patient and embrace the grind when it gets tough. There will be unexpected variables that he has not experienced before. He knows no matter what happens on race day he needs to be executing to the best of his abilities and whatever happens, happens. It’s a win if he finishes feeling like he left it all out there and the race is a celebration of how far he has come this year.

Monty, he’s in 30-34 AG. He’s aware that KQ may be an unrealistic thought but if the stars really align its not totally impossible. He will go out and do his own race and we will see where he ends up. He is aware of nutrition and has been practicing this regularly- seems to have a very good stomach for taking in over 100g carbs per hour for 6+ hours rides and short run after with no GI issues. IMO, I don’t think he will qualify this time around, but he is determined and I won’t be surprised to see him do it in the future. That being said, I hope he proves you and I wrong and does it this time just because it would be a hell of a story.

What’s his age, 55+???

I ask because you said he is trying to qualify for Kona, and with those times seems like that would be the first category he could possibly do it in.

So you said he is now a 1;35 to 1;45 swimmer now, is that in that Tuscon pool where he gets to swim with Lionel?? Or a back home time in a LCM pool??

Is this true that you need a sub 10 to KQ at 55+?

If you look at his Strava activity from today- 4700m LC outdoors- looks like most of it was ~1:37/100 but I can’t see the splits.

Is this true that you need a sub 10 to KQ at 55+?//

Just having a look at Ironman Texas this year and it took 9;43 to win the 55+ and sub 10 hours for 4th. I imagine there was only a couple spots in that AG

If you look at the 30-34 AG there were probably a few more spots, but it took 8;45 to win, and 8;56 for 4th…

Its not an easy task these days, certainly for a guy in his first ever race. He is probably at best an hour away, as for Kona you wont find many if any roll downs…

Depending on the course. @LP last year winner was 10:36. But that was slower than 60-64. Depends on who shows up, weather, etc.

If you look at the 30-34 AG there were probably a few more spots, but it took 8;45 to win, and 8;56 for 4th…

That would have secured the PRO division win like 10-15 years ago (I mean Andy Potts era)

Just having a look at Ironman Texas this year and it took 9;43 to win the 55+ and sub 10 hours for 4th. I imagine there was only a couple spots in that AG

There were 9 slots in M50-54 and 6 in M55-59 at IMTX this year. 9th place M50-55 was 9:56.44. 6th M55-54 was 10:14.27. IMTX is much faster than Placid, especially this year they’ve added a new climb to the Placid bike course that’ll add time on the bike.

That is pretty crazy. We were going off results from the last few years- the 30-34 AG podium has been in the ball park of 9:20, 9:30: 9:40 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Last years 3rd was 9:52. I guess it makes sense that Kona would be tougher to get to since it is only every other year now. I hadn’t thought too much about it.

There were 9 slots in M50-54 and 6 in M55-59 at IMTX this year. 9th place M50-55 was 9:56.44. 6th M55-54 was 10:14.27. IMTX is much faster than Placid, especially this year they’ve added a new climb to the Placid bike course that’ll add time on the bike.

There were only 2 slots at IMAZ for 55-59, my 9:50 won it, 2nd was around 10:01.

There were only 2 slots at IMAZ for 55-59, my 9:50 won it, 2nd was around 10:01.

Nice job there, and looking at the 30-34 where this guy is racing, 8;17 to win, and 8;55 for 3rd, with a bunch of low 9 hours after that…I think the days of 9;30 qualifying in that age group are over, especially with the limited spots available this go around…

But he may be able to get into Nice next year after doing a couple races and dialing in all the aspects for his best day. So that is a goal a lot like him can shoot for short term, way way different than Kona slots going forward…

I think he just needs to remind himself if it feels like he’s going to easy he’s probably just about right. Otherwise, I predict specular blow up. The odds of nailing it with an aggressive pace on the first try? Highly unlikely considering the training history you’ve described to us.

Good Luck Qualifying at LP for the first IM.

This course can creep up on you and make you mortal.

12:45 -13:30

I think times @ Lake Placid are a bit misleading because it’s not a fast/flat European course. The 3rd place M30-34 got a 106.1 USAT score rating which is .1 off of the pro standard. 1st & 2nd were well within the cutoff. For reference, IM Texas had 19 athletes with a faster score rating than 3rd place @ Lake Placid last year. LP 10+ minutes slower for the times we’re talking about for the same rating. I think Kona will be tougher to qualify for than Nice (less chance of a roll down). I also think AG fields are getting more & more competitive. Less IM opportunities on the calendar too. Race to current fitness & see how close it gets you afterwards. No point in worrying about things you can’t control.

There’s actually quite a few Kona slots at Placid, maybe 50? So the bigger AGs might have 5-6 slots before any rolldowns.

50 kona slots at LP is like an old 75-80 slot race because the Kona slots are only for men whereas an old race with 75 slots was men and women all going to Kona. It is literally the best KQ opportunity in 20 years because with that number of slots and LP generally does not include the fastest qualifiers who get it done in Arizona/Florida/Coz etc from the previous fall. LP is literally the last qualifier so everyone fast has largely qualified so it’s the next layer of qualifiers and now it is