Most dominant country/sport combination?

What sports is one country simply dominant above all others, across multiple games/athletes?

At this point we might as well retire diving from the Olympics. The Chinese have defeated the game, completely dominant as a nation across many Olympic cycles and many athletes. I think it’s the most dominant country/sport combination I can think of.

Others?

USA and basketball would be an obvious choice as well but ever since the Dream Team #1, it’s been just sort of dumb IMO.

What sports is one country simply dominant above all others, across multiple games/athletes?

At this point we might as well retire diving from the Olympics. The Chinese have defeated the game, completely dominant as a nation across many Olympic cycles and many athletes. I think it’s the most dominant country/sport combination I can think of.

Others?

USA and basketball would be an obvious choice as well but ever since the Dream Team #1, it’s been just sort of dumb IMO.

Kenyan marathoners/distance runners?

USA mens 400m medley swimming?

China - table tennis?

Korea in archery.

Sometimes utter domination can be fun to watch. Whether that’s Ledecky gapping the field in the 1500, or USA Basketball when they’ve got their game on.

My son said the US women haven’t lost a game in 30 years?

Norway in mens cross country skiing. Unless things change soon no other country will care.

Last years total world cup standings at the end of the season.

Screenshot_20240801-181531117 (1).jpg

Others?

probably algerian female boxing.

Others?

probably algerian “female” boxing.

FIFY

Others?

The Chinese synchronized divers are just so far and away better than the rest of the world that it’s just silly. Especially the women.

Others?

The Chinese synchronized divers are just so far and away better than the rest of the world that it’s just silly. Especially the women.

Silly indeed.

They’re likely the two best platform divers individually, then add in nearly perfect synchronization, and to really top it off, make them look almost identical. Silly indeed.

I think, by numbers, the most sport where one country has been most dominant is table tennis, by a fairly wide margin. China has owned that sport.

Of 28 men’s singles medals on offer since the sport entered the Olympics in 1988, China owns 16 of them, including 6 of 9 golds. Of the same 28 medals on offer for women’s singles, it’s even more lopsided, with China owning 19, and all 9 gold medals. They’ve won every men’s doubles and all but one women’s doubles. They’ve won every single team gold for both men and women.

They have 60 total Olympic table tennis medals. That’s more than the next 11 countries combined, and the next closest country (S.Korea) has 18.

I think, by numbers, the most sport where one country has been most dominant is table tennis, by a fairly wide margin. China has owned that sport.

Of 28 men’s singles medals on offer since the sport entered the Olympics in 1988, China owns 16 of them, including 6 of 9 golds. Of the same 28 medals on offer for women’s singles, it’s even more lopsided, with China owning 19, and all 9 gold medals. They’ve won every men’s doubles and all but one women’s doubles. They’ve won every single team gold for both men and women.

They have 60 total Olympic table tennis medals. That’s more than the next 11 countries combined, and the next closest country (S.Korea) has 18.

Damn!

My wife (Chinese) is the least athletic human I’ve ever encountered, except when we play table tennis. It’s definitely a thing.

I have a work colleague from Macau, whenever we have a work happy hour and the place has table tennis, he smokes everyone. It’s not even close. Maybe something in the water :wink:

USA 4x400 relay team (both men’s and women’s)

The women have won gold in the last 7 Olympics. Then men have gotten 18 golds and 3 silvers in the 23 Olympics they have fielded a team for this race

USA at North American Football

World Series Baseball

The All Blacks were dominant for a very long time.

Damn!

My wife (Chinese) is the least athletic human I’ve ever encountered, except when we play table tennis. It’s definitely a thing.

Unrelated but my uncle in law is shockingly good at table tennis. He’s 80, only has one lung, but has incredible hand eye coordination, reflexes, and is just a stud (former 3 hour marathoner, fantastic golfer, climbed Kilimanjaro at 70 with the one lung).

Whenever my brother in law and I go to visit, he routinely smokes us both with ease. I don’t think either of us have won a game against him and we are both 40 and pretty good athletes. I’m considering taking lessons in secret so I can finally get him on our Xmas visit this year.

team sports it is the All Blacks. Winning % 77%. No other country comes close.

USA at North American Football

Or NASCAR, Or NHRA.

Damn!

Unrelated but my uncle in law is shockingly good at table tennis. He’s 80, only has one lung, but has incredible hand eye coordination, reflexes, and is just a stud (former 3 hour marathoner, fantastic golfer, climbed Kilimanjaro at 70 with the one lung).

Whenever my brother in law and I go to visit, he routinely smokes us both with ease. I don’t think either of us have won a game against him and we are both 40 and pretty good athletes. I’m considering taking lessons in secret so I can finally get him on our Xmas visit this year.

I’ll probably get the details wrong but I saw where there’s an older Chinese woman, I think in her late 50’s, that was a pretty good table tennis player in her youth. Presumably at some point emigrated to Peru (?), said she didn’t play for decades before taking it back up during Covid and is now representing her new country at the Olympics.

Not a sport, but an event; Kenya in the men’s steeplechase. Given that they spotted the world a huge head start (not winning a medal until 1968), they have dominated completely.

23 medals (11-7-5), took 2 medals or more 9 times, and the next best country is Finland (4-3-2) but that’s from the 1920s and ‘30s.