Most dangerous uncommon object in your home

NOT A FUCKING GUN THREAD

Crayon vs. TV thread features jars of mercury and bricks of lead. Got me thinking.

What’s the most dangerous AND uncommon object in your home?

Weapons and tools don’t count unless super obscure. Household cleaners and other common chemicals don’t count.

My entry isn’t even mine, but it’s a good initial offering: the son, age 9 or so, of a CEO I used to work for successfully ordered a 10kg-ish block of sodium (!) and stuck it in the garage, still packaged and pickled in oil or whatever. Dad shat his pants when he discovered what son had done, got hazmat team to come collect.

Whatchu got?

Eyedrops don’t count?

Besides prescription medications I have a shillelagh

Considering that John Wick killed three men in a bar with a pencil (“a fucking pencil!!!”) my art box of pencils, pens & paintbrushes could be a fucking arsenal

My crowbar will probably do some damage but that’s fairly common. Not sure why he needed a hazmat team to remove packaged sodium.

Dog.

I am destined to be paralyzed by those lying booby traps.

Kali sticks

It’s a tool but would make a formidable weapon. It is 50+ years old. It’s a scuba diving knife. It attaches with a sheath that is strapped around your lower leg. It looks something like this.

il_794xN.5138079234_o1mw.webp

The accoutrements to mrs wimsey’s ‘it’s been a hard week, I need a relaxing bath’ process.

Between the soulful-yoga-routine scented candles right by the shower curtain, and the space heater 1 foot from the bath water “because it’s always so chilly in here” - it’s a potent fire/electrocution combo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FndTKXZWYAAcCdN.jpg:large

Acetylene and oxygen tanks probably the most dangerous

That’s better than my spousal snark answer.

We have two 96 gallon propane tanks right up against the back of the garage, which is attached to the house. We basically have a bomb strapped to the outside wall.

Dog.

I am destined to be paralyzed by those lying booby traps.

Fucking hell, this.

Our dog absolutely cannot refrain from laying down quietly directly behind our feet in the kitchen the minute we walk in. I call him the silent assassin; he doesn’t pant, doesn’t click, doesn’t make a sound, just appears. We have to high step and turn when facing the counter to avoid catastrophe.

Not sure if this counts but I once told my wife to “calm down.”

Oh, that counts.

My wife (and I) are cursed with her PMS bordering on psychopathy some months. It’s not always that bad, but when it is, it really is, and it’s apparently completely beyond her capacity to control it, even though she’s completely aware that it’s happening. Best analogy I can muster is

https://media0.giphy.com/media/22OJnfOtnqJRE762sY/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ijrt0wnkhljq9138hc0jxy6vwoktzy9ge95yirjg&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

The accoutrements to mrs wimsey’s ‘it’s been a hard week, I need a relaxing bath’ process.

Between the soulful-yoga-routine scented candles right by the shower curtain, and the space heater 1 foot from the bath water “because it’s always so chilly in here” - it’s a potent fire/electrocution combo.

It isn’t the accoutrements that will kill you, the most dangerous thing many of us have in our house is our spouse. Much more likely to kill you than almost anything else.

During the winter I build a fire in my house almost every night. I have multiple stairs as well as several showers and bathtubs.

But the most dangerous non common thing in my house is my Atlantean Conan sword. My wife bought it sharpened. It is like a 30" razor blade with no possibility of covering it.

I have a decent-sized collection of Japanese Samurai weapons. Katanas, wakizashis and tantos from back when that was a significant hobby of mine. Not sure if that’s obscure enough to qualify…

NOT A FUCKING GUN THREAD

Crayon vs. TV thread features jars of mercury and bricks of lead. Got me thinking.

Weapons and tools don’t count unless super obscure. Household cleaners and other common chemicals don’t count.

My entry isn’t even mine, but it’s a good initial offering: the son, age 9 or so, of a CEO I used to work for successfully ordered a 10kg-ish block of sodium (!) and stuck it in the garage, still packaged and pickled in oil or whatever. Dad shat his pants when he discovered what son had done, got hazmat team to come collect.

Whatchu got?

I am confused… Why is Salt so bad… I mean I don’t have 22lbs but when I ran our water softener use to buy 25 or 50lb bags?

Oh I guess I should say the Mercury, in the vial in my garage. But really most of the lawn chemicals i have are more dangerous. Or the dark room chemicals I had growing up.

But wow Sodium… now that’s dangerous… I mean think of all the High Blood Pressure that could create.

I mean I might be buying some ammonium nitrate to fertilize my garden in the spring, I guess that would qualify also.

That’s better than my spousal snark answer.

We have two 96 gallon propane tanks right up against the back of the garage, which is attached to the house. We basically have a bomb strapped to the outside wall.

Oh yeah forgot about the blow torch stuff, and the 2 or 3 bottles of propane. Oh wait and several small ones for an old coleman stove

A unicycle.

NOT A FUCKING GUN THREAD

Whatchu got?

I am confused… Why is Salt so bad… I mean I don’t have 22lbs but when I ran our water softener use to buy 25 or 50lb bags?

Oh I guess I should say the Mercury, in the vial in my garage. But really most of the lawn chemicals i have are more dangerous. Or the dark room chemicals I had growing up.

But wow Sodium… now that’s dangerous… I mean think of all the High Blood Pressure that could create.

I mean I might be buying some ammonium nitrate to fertilize my garden in the spring, I guess that would qualify also.

Sodium and sodium chloride are different