Mortal Hydration at Canadian IM races

My understanding is that Mortal Hydration and Gatorade Endurance will both be available at IM races until July 13, and then starting with the Muncie 70.3 July 13th it will just be Mortal Hydration. Does anyone know if this schedule also applies to Canadian races? I remember several years ago when IM switched drinks they had to delay the switch at Canadian races due to slow approval from Health Canada.

I was planning to do Muncie July 13 but I’m thinking it might be a mess running the first race after the switch, particularly on a hot day in Muncie where the med tent is always busy. Maybe doing Muskoka 70.3 the previous weekend and using Gatorade would be better, and it might be a few degrees cooler.

My understanding is that Mortal Hydration and Gatorade Endurance will both be available at IM races until July 13, and then starting with the Muncie 70.3 July 13th it will just be Mortal Hydration. Does anyone know if this schedule also applies to Canadian races? I remember several years ago when IM switched drinks they had to delay the switch at Canadian races due to slow approval from Health Canada.

I was planning to do Muncie July 13 but I’m thinking it might be a mess running the first race after the switch, particularly on a hot day in Muncie where the med tent is always busy. Maybe doing Muskoka 70.3 the previous weekend and using Gatorade would be better, and it might be a few degrees cooler.

hi dave -

i’m planning on doing muskoka this summer. currently looking at the 2024 athlete’s guide, and the only info i see on nutrition says that aid stations will have “gatorade, water, and ‘spark’ gels” with pepsi and pretzels also available on the run. i don’t know what spark gels are; but there’s maybe the answer to your hydration question!

Thanks Mike, interesting that the Muskoka athlete’s guide lists Gatorade and Spark gels and does not mention Mortal Hydration or Maurten gels, while the Muskoka website lists Mortal Hydration and Maurten as partners and does not mention Gatorade or Spark. Looks like Spark is based in New Zealand, I wonder if they are the gel used by IM outside the US?

The 2024 athlete’s guide is also out for Mont-Tremblant and it lists Gatorade, Mortal Hydration and Maurten, but no Spark. This is what I was expecting to see for Muskoka?

hmmm… i’d like this sorted out!

i did 70.3 switzerland last weekend and it was maurten for gel and precision hydration for drinks - the PH drinks are just an electrolyte solution, no calories.

then as usual lots of other options for coke, water, pretzels, etc.

No it’s been Maurten gels in UK, Aus and NZ for the last few years.