Military disability and continuing work

I learned this week that a person can retire from the U.S. Military with 100% disability rating while able bodied and continuing to work a regular job on full time status.

What exactly does 100% disabled mean if not that you can’t actually continue to work?

I learned this week that a person can retire from the U.S. Military with 100% disability rating while able bodied and continuing to work a regular job on full time status.

What exactly does 100% disabled mean if not that you can’t actually continue to work?

What is the disability? I assume if they have a leg blown off they would be considered permanently disabled and get pensioned off but could still get a civilian desk job

Depends how the 100% disabled is defined. Losing both arms is more disabling then losing both legs, but both are permanent.

Bodily intact, never injured. Working full time in a big 4 accounting firm post retirement. No record of seeking psychological or mental health assistance.

Bodily intact, never injured. Working full time in a big 4 accounting firm post retirement. No record of seeking psychological or mental health assistance.

Sounds a tad fraudulent if that’s the case

Also marathon training and reportedly training to be a pilates instructor.

Also marathon training and reportedly training to be a pilates instructor.

If the information wasn’t obtained through a HIPPA channel doesn’t hurt to drop a dime

Spitballing, but I can image one could be mentally/emotionally disabled as far as military career goes, but able to do civilian work in a civilian environment.

That is my assumption but I’ve heard from some insiders it’s a glide path to a $4,700 monthly retirement bonus. Very low threshold to qualify if you know how to work the system.

This has come up very recently in the world of major US airlines. At least a few pilots have been caught up in being disabled from the military yet actively in the cockpit. Not sure which side is the fraudster. The medically disabled military part or the medically able pilot part. Maybe both.

I believe this was headlined in a major news source maybe WSJ?

Military disability is determined by the VA in 10% increments. There are myriad factors involved and many disabilities are “invisible.” 100% disability rating does not mean the person is completely disabled and unable to function or work.

My daughter has a disability rating from her time in the Army. I can’t recall the percentage. She broke her hips in Germany doing field exercises while part of a civil affairs unit. She gets about $800/month for the rating. It’s not worth it.

I work with many former soldiers/sailors/marines with a disability rating who function fine as cops.

Think of it as the military recognizing damage done and the rating sets the amount of damage and compensation.

‘ Think of it as the military recognizing damage done and the rating sets the amount of damage and compensation.“

That I can appreciate. Calling it 100% disability seems a bit misleading.

The 100% rating does not mean you’re 100% disabled. That’s basically impossible, because you’d be dead. It means you qualify for 100% of the potential disability benefit.

I received a 100% rating when I retired. I still work out, play golf, etc. However, I have a whole slew of things wrong with me that can be attributed to my time in the military, and each of them adds up a little bit until you qualify to receive the entire disability benefit.

Bottom line, it’s not a rating of your degree of ability or disability to function. It’s a rating of how much of the possible benefit you qualify to receive.

In your case, I assume you’re talking about your wife’s ex. It doesn’t necessarily mean he’s scamming anything. It’s possible he lied to the VA to get his rating higher, but they do a reasonably thorough job sending you to independent medical providers to verify before establishing your rating.

We have the same type of thing in the fire dept, and it is just a % base on the things that got broken on you through your career. Now doesnt mean you are not up to par, as you may have received new hips, new shoulders, knees or other parts that make you whole again in the private world. But since these things happened at work, from work, you get to claim them as disabilities in your retirement…

I got forced retired early because of my heart, got a pacemaker and back then that was the kiss of death to go back to work,(they didnt deem you fixed) different now. So they had to give me a 100% disability retirement, as they deemed me 100% unfit for the job. Of course I have gone on with my life now and am one of the fastest over 65 athletes in the world now with my disability, but it was mechanically fixed. I imagine there are some mental ones too, but for us it was basically that kind of thing, along with skin cancer for life coverages, and also in my case, bad ears from working under the airport for 5 years without any ear protection…

So could be lots of things similar I would guess, maybe PTSD type stuff, but in our cases it is not easy to get, and certainly not easy to game to get a 100%…

Think of it as the military recognizing damage done and the rating sets the amount of damage and compensation.
This. My sister spent 28 years between the Marines and Army.
She had some hearing loss and mobility issues when discharged.
She held another full time job after leaving the Army.

Given the relatively low pay during the early years of her service, I think she earned the extra disability income.

“ it’s not a rating of your degree of ability or disability to function. It’s a rating of how much of the possible benefit you qualify to receive.”

That’s an easier way to understand it, thanks.

Something else, not everyone is discharged or retires at a 100% rating. In my case, I retired 11 years ago, was awarded (that’s the actual term) 70% disability. I was a bit surprised as I thought I was in great shape. My last race before retirement I qualified for the 70.3 Champs, my first race after retirement was the 70.3 Champs.

The VA determines your rating based on a number of factors, one of which is injuries sustained throughout your career. In my case most of my injuries were early on. 20+ years later I was able to deal with or simply learned to live with them, never gave it much thought. Now 30 some-odd years later I can’t walk up stairs, can’t run to the end of the block, yada-yada-yada. Those injuries finally added up and took a toll. I’ve been advised and am pursuing an increase in my VA award. Assuming the Gods have been pleased and I get that final 30% bump, I’ll still be able to work in my current profession (cyber security).

However, if a veteran is truly unable to work due to injuries (mental and/or physical) sustained, the VA does have an unemployment benefit, which can be requested. The bar seems pretty high for that and once awarded, I’m pretty sure you’re not allowed to work anymore.

This has come up very recently in the world of major US airlines. At least a few pilots have been caught up in being disabled from the military yet actively in the cockpit. Not sure which side is the fraudster. The medically disabled military part or the medically able pilot part. Maybe both.

I believe this was headlined in a major news source maybe WSJ?

Given the explanations here, what was the gist of the complaint with the pilots specifically?

FAA investigates 5,000 pilots suspected of hiding serious health issues - The Washington Post

Federal authorities have been investigating nearly 5,000 pilots suspected of falsifying their medical records to conceal that they were receiving benefits for mental health disorders and other serious conditions that could make them unfit to fly, documents and interviews show.

The pilots under scrutiny are military veterans who told the Federal Aviation Administration that they are healthy enough to fly, yet failed to report — as required by law — that they were also collecting veterans benefits for disabilities that could bar them from the cockpit.

Veterans Affairs investigators discovered the inconsistencies more than two years ago by cross-checking federal databases, but the FAA has kept many details of the case a secret from the public.

I’m guessing the distinction between what was described by slowguy and mck414 is where the issues lay?

or not.

Many veterans minimize their ailments to the FAA so they can keep flying but exaggerate them to VA to maximize their disability payments, physicians and former officials at the aviation agency say.

“There are people out there who I think are trying to play both sides of the game,” said Jerome Limoge, an aviation medical examiner in Colorado Springs who gives physicals to hundreds of pilots a year. “They’re being encouraged by VA to claim everything. Some of it is almost stolen valor.”