"Micro-Quitting?"

This is an older link but it just showed up in my socials

https://www.womensrunning.com/training/is-micro-quitting-keeping-you-from-reaching-your-full-potential/

Firstly, since it came from the Outside family, I expected it to be complete trash. It looks like the author first posted it to Women’s Running, then Triathlete copied it over? Happy family, right?

There’s not much worthwhile to share but I clipped these two points

“Quitting is choosing not to get out of bed to meet your early morning run group; micro-quitting is hitting snooze, running by yourself, and making the session easier because no one will know.”

“Here are some examples of micro-quitting:
Adjusting the number of intervals
Adjusting the target pace/effort
Adding more rest
Not telling your coach
Skipping strength/mobility
Forgetting post session fuel
Arriving late
Avoiding talking about your goals
Stopping a session early
Confusing boredom with fatigue”

Regarding that last one: Does stopping in the middle of long run/ride to ask yourself “where *the fuck *am I?” count?

Also, would the “Shit my pants” thread fall in the criteria?

Anyway, I’d never heard nor imagined that “micro-quitting” might be “a thing” but I’m certain that I’m a serial offender

Don’t you ever stop long enough to start. Take that car outta that gear

I feel like the amount of social media shaming people for not being go-getters every minute of every day is just increasing.

Taking extra rest when you need it is now considered quitting? Love this world we’re living in.

Did you stop, slow down, or stay full send while shitting your pants?

Also did you tell your coach?

(The coach who wrote that list has some serious social anxieties)

I z2 six days of the week, just farming mitochondria. Day seven is when I let loose and have fun; no way I’m skipping that!

There’s a kind of person who needs to hear this. Probably 90% of people stop doing something once it gets hard or never try in the first place. There’s also a kind of person who will run themselves into the ground with this mentality.

The hardest part isn’t doing it, or doing it until your legs fall off. The hardest part is doing it in the way that produces the best result. Sometimes that means HTFU and finish the workout. Sometimes it means “micro-quitting” to not destroy yourself for tomorrow’s workouts. A lot of judgement and experience needed.

If you’re goal is to finally finish the local Turkey Trot (I can’t help but feel like that’s who this article is aimed at) then “micro-quitting” a couple workouts is going to be pretty deleterious. A C25K is what 20 runs total? Skipping one of them cuts out a full 5% of your entire exercise volume. Different story for some AG training for Kona.

I do think it’s super important to remember that plenty of people have a lot of stress in the rest of their life. All this kind of stuff does is ensure that exercise becomes another stressor as opposed to stress relief.

There’s a kind of person who needs to hear this. Probably 90% of people stop doing something once it gets hard or never try in the first place. There’s also a kind of person who will run themselves into the ground with this mentality.

The hardest part isn’t doing it, or doing it until your legs fall off. The hardest part is doing it in the way that produces the best result. Sometimes that means HTFU and finish the workout. Sometimes it means “micro-quitting” to not destroy yourself for tomorrow’s workouts. A lot of judgement and experience needed.

If you’re goal is to finally finish the local Turkey Trot (I can’t help but feel like that’s who this article is aimed at) then “micro-quitting” a couple workouts is going to be pretty deleterious. A C25K is what 20 runs total? Skipping one of them cuts out a full 5% of your entire exercise volume. Different story for some AG training for Kona.

Also there are only so many CPU cycles to give to “pushing it” on a daily, monthly and yearly basis and its not just the brain power to focus on athletic goals, but the brain power we put into all aspects of life. You can’t perpetually run your CPU overheated.

Generally I find that during the week, I don’t “train”. I just exercise. I’ll just do whatever workouts work into my day to day life. I am not interested in killing myself mentally nor physically for workouts because I have too much responsibilities at work. Based on this article, my entire week of sport is micro quitting oriented. I just go with the flow. I still get 10-12 hrs of training in Monday to Friday (typically a mid day workout and an evening workout after everyone has had dinner…I just have a snack and literally eat the real dinner solo at 10 pm…I can’t get up early for work, because I have to be on the job before most of the team is up and running as we have some operations in Europe and Asia, so I need to be on as soon as I wake up.

The times I have tried to train with a purpose during the week, it all feels to stressful, so largely I am in micro quit mode all weeks all the time. Weekends, the game is on.

On the weekends, when I have to devote less CPU cycles to work, I actually train, with specific workouts, with specific goals

I do think it’s super important to remember that plenty of people have a lot of stress in the rest of their life. All this kind of stuff does is ensure that exercise becomes another stressor as opposed to stress relief.

That’s a really good point. Enjoying it is fundamental. It doesn’t have to be 100% fun but certainly should be a heavy net positive.

Some offset micro-quitting with micro-doping.

I’ll hit the snooze in a heartbeat but it’s full send when I sh!t my pants. Running or otherwise.

I z2 six days of the week, just farming mitochondria. Day seven is when I let loose and have fun; no way I’m skipping that!

Love that turn of phrase, Thank you. :slight_smile:

Also there are only so many CPU cycles to give to “pushing it” on a daily, monthly and yearly basis and its not just the brain power to focus on athletic goals, but the brain power we put into all aspects of life. You can’t perpetually run your CPU overheated.

Generally I find that during the week, I don’t “train”. I just exercise. I’ll just do whatever workouts work into my day to day life. I am not interested in killing myself mentally nor physically for workouts because I have too much responsibilities at work. Based on this article, my entire week of sport is micro quitting oriented. I just go with the flow. I still get 10-12 hrs of training in Monday to Friday (typically a mid day workout and an evening workout after everyone has had dinner…I just have a snack and literally eat the real dinner solo at 10 pm…I can’t get up early for work, because I have to be on the job before most of the team is up and running as we have some operations in Europe and Asia, so I need to be on as soon as I wake up.

The times I have tried to train with a purpose during the week, it all feels to stressful, so largely I am in micro quit mode all weeks all the time. Weekends, the game is on.

On the weekends, when I have to devote less CPU cycles to work, I actually train, with specific workouts, with specific goals

there’s some interesting psychological research suggesting that what we call ‘willpower’ is a finite quantity in any given period of time. if you’re constantly resisting temptation, or pushing yourself to do hard things, you eventually run out, as you say, of processing power. quit mode sounds like an effective way to do the important thing (exercise) while minimizing the willpower cost.

If hitting the snooze button is micro-quiting, then I’m gonna be the best damn micro-quitter ever.

Taking extra rest when you need it is now considered quitting? Love this world we’re living in.

I think microquitting is taking extra rest when you **don’t **really need it.

Trust me, I may not have a PhD in this, but I’m an expert.

The coach who wrote that list has some serious social anxieties

I think she’s just a hack writer who used some key points to get her piece sold*

“Discomfort is the currency to your dreams.” WOW!!! I’m gonna have to replace my “Live-Laugh-Love” artisanal stencil with THAT ONE

I don’t know who spec’d the pix, but stock photos of women who look like they’re about to cry? Really?

There’s a podcast, too, of course

• But she’s published and I’m not, so I should just STFU

The coach who wrote that list has some serious social anxieties

I think she’s just a hack writer who used some key points to get her piece sold*

“Discomfort is the currency to your dreams.” WOW!!! I’m gonna have to replace my “Live-Laugh-Love” artisanal stencil with THAT ONE

I don’t know who spec’d the pix, but stock photos of women who look like they’re about to cry? Really?

There’s a podcast, too, of course

• But she’s published and I’m not, so I should just STFU

To be fair getting an article published on the internet is more about generating clicks than providing meaningful content.
“10 ways you’re micro-quitting, I didn’t realize I was doing number 6!”
“Blu has some words for Iden, and it’s shaking up the triathlon world”

Well reasoned, researched, thought-out content is never going to get more views than outlandish half-truths. ESPECIALLY about health and fitness. It’s not that complicated, there’s only so many ways to say eat more vegetables and exercise more. So we’re left with either big articles about minor details “Are Tabata’s more effective as 21/9 or 20/10?” or silliness like this article that need to rephrase the fundamentals in increasingly outlandish ways.

Kinda like the headlines they’d put on magazines near the checkout in the supermarket (remember those?)

The first few (Adjusting the number of intervals, Adjusting the target pace/effort, Adding more rest) don’t read as quitting to me. You want to either be able to design appropriately difficult workouts or get a coach who can but it still doesn’t always go to plan. It might not be as simple as you’re not being tough enough if you need to adjust a session. You might be in a really hard block & pushing through would be detrimental to the overall plan. It takes a smart athlete to recognize when to back off in a workout. You have to have the confidence to know it’s not a toughness issue/that you’re making the best choice for your training & that you’re not a worse athlete for it. I don’t get this mindset.

Kinda like the headlines they’d put on magazines near the checkout in the supermarket (remember those?)

A lot of the internet is like the worst mashup of People magazine and National Enquirer

Honestly some of this sounds like being smart with your training, not micro quitting.

leave it to the Outside/Triathlete/Women’s running family of editorial (can we call half of what they write editorial or just crap?) to confuse being smart with quitting

“Quitting is choosing not to get out of bed to meet your early morning run group; micro-quitting is hitting snooze, running by yourself, and making the session easier because no one will know.”

“Here are some examples of micro-quitting:
Adjusting the number of intervals
Adjusting the target pace/effort
Adding more rest
Not telling your coach
Skipping strength/mobility
Forgetting post session fuel
Arriving late
Avoiding talking about your goals
Stopping a session early
Confusing boredom with fatigue”