Meniscus injury a month before IM

Hi all

Right knee has felt a little sore over past few months but running has been fine, no pain. Did a longer 15k run last week and at the end had a pop followed by pain. Walking was sore but was strangely able to slow run on it. Then sore walking for a few days :frowning:

Tried again today and it’s sore most of the time, especially with hills and IM Wales had HILLS

It’s very like torn meniscus (had the same on my left knee ten years ago), but wondering if anyone has ever tried any kind of private cordisoid injections to help mute the pain for a couple of months? I’m very tempted, otherwise it might be game over for me this season

Thanks

Cycling is mostly pain free other than when standing up on pedals, so this is mostly a worry for the run

I can’t answer your questions but I’m sending you hugs.

Sorry to hear of your injury. Before you consider various treatment options, you need an accurate diagnosis. Maybe you could get in with whomever you see for Sports Medicine, have a thorough exam, possible studies, and then go from there. Good luck!

John

Sorry to hear of your injury. Before you consider various treatment options, you need an accurate diagnosis. Maybe you could get in with whomever you see for Sports Medicine, have a thorough exam, possible studies, and then go from there. Good luck!

This^

If you search ST for knee issues you’ll find an outrageous amount of posts like yours (some are mine). Problems, symptoms, cures, etc. are all over the place. It’s only when a thorough exam is conducted that you can get any real direction on how to proceed. Small issues can lead to big issues (like my bone on bone osteoarthritis, that was initially a low level knee pain, that turned out to be a stress fracture that I didn’t even know I had).

I have tried injections as if it’s torn it’s a bandaid I believe. Had my right tear fixed after a DNS in St. George & Boulder 70.3. 2nd day after surgery I walked 1 mile no assistance, then 2, 3, until 5…then backed off. Day 9 I started cycling. Started swimming July 2 (June 12 was surgery). First run was July 2 as well. I’d just go for the fix and get it repaired if I were to do it again & not mess with the injections.

That said, I have to now get the left side done in a month, that has torn. Going straight for the fix, not bandaids. I did fit in 2 races so far & have a couple more scheduled before the surgery (doc said go for it), then one in December. Keep the faith, all is not lost, be on top of P.T. and don’t rush into anything without the doc’s approval. Good luck if you get the injections–I just didn’t have much faith in it actually fixing anything. Get an MRI first though, to at least know what really is going on.