Meanwhile in Mexico (1)

During this current election season, reports indicate that 231 people, including 34 candidates for political office, have been murdered. This includes candidates at various levels from local to national government. 749 reported incidents of political violence.

Mexico is a failing State, and it’s right next door.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/mexico-candidate-killed-political-violence-elections-rcna154728

I guess Mexico has been a failing state for a long time. The article mentions 50 percent more violence than last election. So it seems worse. Is it worse because groups are more desperate and think those in power less likely to listen than before or are there more bad actors I don’t know.

I do know I will not vacation in Mexico and would never retire there.

I guess they will have female president for the first time. Maybe a woman can do a better job

I guess Mexico has been a failing state for a long time. The article mentions 50 percent more violence than last election. So it seems worse. Is it worse because groups are more desperate and think those in power less likely to listen than before or are there more bad actors I don’t know.

I guess they will have female president for the first time. Maybe a woman can do a better job
Corruption once entrenched and normalized is pretty much impossible to reverse. I feel for the bulk of the population who would prosper with a reasonably level playing field.

Corruption once entrenched and normalized is pretty much impossible to reverse. I feel for the bulk of the population who would prosper with a reasonably level playing field.

Not impossible, El Salvador has turned it around. Although it takes near dictatorial power to do so. They basically built a giant prison with zero amenities or contact with the outside world and threw all the gang members into it.

Not impossible, El Salvador has turned it around. Although it takes near dictatorial power to do so. They basically built a giant prison with zero amenities or contact with the outside world and threw all the gang members into it.

Colombia is way better than it was 8 years ago. What breaks the cycle I don’t know. What is the tipping point from the cycle of violence to a more virtuous one?

During this current election season, reports indicate that 231 people, including 34 candidates for political office, have been murdered. This includes candidates at various levels from local to national government. 749 reported incidents of political violence.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/mexico-candidate-killed-political-violence-elections-rcna154728

34 you say…. I think I know who’s behind it.

I guess Mexico has been a failing state for a long time. The article mentions 50 percent more violence than last election. So it seems worse. Is it worse because groups are more desperate and think those in power less likely to listen than before or are there more bad actors I don’t know

I’m not super familiar, but my impression is that the President elected last time basically has had a policy of appeasing the cartels. So the power of the cartels has been steadily increasing, and now they’re killing to make sure they keep that control.

I’m sure there’s more to it than just that, but it seems to be a big factor.

One of my co-workers’ daughters lives in Rosarito and just recently decided to get married down there on pretty short notice. He’s very nervous about going down for the wedding.

the Don Winslow trilogy - the power of the dog - details lots of it in a semi-fictional way, but narconomics lays it all out.

The history of the rise of the Zetas is just bonkers and if you have that much of your income tied up in narcotics you would do everything within your gift to protect it.

its mad, the proximity and the murders so close to the border

I guess Mexico has been a failing state for a long time. The article mentions 50 percent more violence than last election. So it seems worse. Is it worse because groups are more desperate and think those in power less likely to listen than before or are there more bad actors I don’t know

I’m not super familiar, but my impression is that the President elected last time basically has had a policy of appeasing the cartels. So the power of the cartels has been steadily increasing, and now they’re killing to make sure they keep that control.

I’m sure there’s more to it than just that, but it seems to be a big factor.

One of my co-workers’ daughters lives in Rosarito and just recently decided to get married down there on pretty short notice. He’s very nervous about going down for the wedding.

Just south of San Diego and down the Baja is a pretty scary place.

Good thing the border is porous…Eyeroll emoji

For the US to solve the problem would take will that does not exist amongst the US populace. The Left would be appalled and intervention and the Right is too isolationist.

The best bet would be treat the cartels like terrorist groups and start degrading them from the air and limited ground incursions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/...elections-rcna154728

Mexico is not a failing state. Yes, they have some security problems but they are doing just fine. Their economy is in decent shape, their currency has been one of the best performers over the last 18 months, and the market is completely unconcerned about election risks as Mexicans go to the polls today. At worse, Sheinbaum keeps policy continuity, and we could see a more divided congress that reduces the risks of any unorthodox policies by Morena. Foreign investment (especially related to nearshoring) and tourism are attracting good inflows, and remittances from American based workers remain near record levels.

Maybe it can be. But my cycling team is about 50% Mexican, and races down in Baja all the time, Ensenada, etc. The wine country could be California. Not the slightest bit of worry from the guys. Granted, maybe because they’re Mexican they know where/when not to go in ways that I don’t.

I have other San Diego friends who like lucha libre, and head down all the time to Tijuana to see it. Zero worry.

Good thing the border is porous…

Border “porosity” is thought to be something of a wash…just changes the type of rackets cartels can run. “Porous” borders don’t require a lot of skill to get across, so you run more protection rackets for those trying to cross. Not very lucrative - most who cross aren’t rich - but a good # of “customers.”

With a more secure border, than you can run high-dollar prices to get people and goods across - usually through ports of entry rather than through the desert. Move to richer clientele.

The real lever the U.S. has is to stop hoovering up every little bit of every drug we can. Fentanyl, cocaine, MDMA, illegal marijuana. Everything. They know they can get it across, we’ll jam in it ourselves just as quickly as we can, and at enormous street value markups.

I still don’t see the U.S. making a maximal effort to gets its illicit drug demand under some semblance of control. Both sides, blah, blah.

Mexico is not a failing state. Yes, they have some security problems but they are doing just fine. Their economy is in decent shape, their currency has been one of the best performers over the last 18 months, and the market is completely unconcerned about election risks as Mexicans go to the polls today. At worse, Sheinbaum keeps policy continuity, and we could see a more divided congress that reduces the risks of any unorthodox policies by Morena. Foreign investment (especially related to nearshoring) and tourism are attracting good inflows, and remittances from American based workers remain near record levels.

Whether or not you’re a failing state is not solely about whether your economy is ok.

With the China policy in place and working to devastate the China economy it’s easy to see how fast new third country, re-shoring and near-shoring is moving manufacturing and jobs. Many forecast that Mexico and the US will basically be one country within 15 years.

Everything is already in place from a policy perspective and now it’s just a matter of implementation. 2022 China US deficit was $382 billion (how much of that will move to Mexico?) vs drug profits. I don’t know. Political policy seems to (go with the flow) money.

It will be interesting to see what impact the greater integration will have political influence.

Whether or not you’re a failing state is not solely about whether your economy is ok.

Their institutions are strong, and they have a strong democracy. They are not a failing state, despite what you might want to believe.

Their institutions are strong, and they have a strong democracy. They are not a failing state, despite what you might want to believe.

I’ll repeat my op. They’ve had over 200 murders related to their current election cycle, including 34 candidates for political office. That is NOT evidence of strong democratic processes, despite what you want to believe.

Maybe it can be. But my cycling team is about 50% Mexican, and races down in Baja all the time, Ensenada, etc. The wine country could be California. Not the slightest bit of worry from the guys. Granted, maybe because they’re Mexican they know where/when not to go in ways that I don’t.

I have other San Diego friends who like lucha libre, and head down all the time to Tijuana to see it. Zero worry.

What cycling team? I may know them. And it’s funny how people won’t vacation there, but what about when you compare to chicago. Every country has problem areas. Don’t be an obvious naive tourist

I’ll repeat my op. They’ve had over 200 murders related to their current election cycle, including 34 candidates for political office. That is NOT evidence of strong democratic processes, despite what you want to believe.

Over 100m Mexicans are registered to vote, for a new president, both houses of congress, 9 governorships and tens of thousands of local positions. The violence is tragic and needs addressing, but it needs to be put in this perspective. So yes, they have a strong democracy, despite what you want to believe. I cover Mexico as part of my job, and it is in no way shape or form “a failing state.”

The best bet would be treat the cartels like terrorist groups and start degrading them from the air and limited ground incursions.

Arial bombardment of Mexico and sending in troops for direct action might be one of the stupidest ideas that you, and Trump, have advocated. He may have talked about it but even he was not stupid enough to do it.

Check out this video. It is from 4 years ago and represents part the armed force of only one of the cartels, the CJNG.

Daily Sabah on X: “Video displaying vast military-style convoy of Mexico’s fearsome CJNG drug cartel marks show of force against President Obrador https://t.co/ivLvSzwOIO” / X

Direct action is a sure way to start a civil war that America would be stuck in the middle of.