Max Neumann has resurfaced

https://youtu.be/2KOEKEgDR1c?si=IKDgOUvI-pkh_6nP

Thank you for sharing.
Describing his ‘come back’ schedule he said London then Las Vegas then Kona (6 days after Vegas!!). Assume that means he’ll be planning to KQ at Frankfurt (3 weeks after London) or maybe Cairns (hence no T100 SF). No mention of Ibiza, which I found odd. Surely that’d be a premium race for him? And no mention of Taupo nor a 70.3 to qualify for it.

This dude does not give a fuck. I would not be surprised if the PTO says no thanks to him next year. I like this dude and I’ve got no problem with him wanting to stay out of the limelight and just do his thing, but from the PTOs perspective I’m not sure giving him a contract makes any sense at all. Let him race whenever he wants, but he’s not playing the game well enough to be worth the yearly salary.

You say “the dude does not give a fuck” because this is what ProTriNews suggested (was it Pat Lemieux?) when they announced he was racing IM Cairns after going AWOL on the PTO.

Am I wrong? Happy to be corrected.

Now the PTO are denying him ever going AWOL, saying he’s been injured (as earlier reported) and is racing the T100.

Say what you will, but so far this story has made ProTriNews look stupid. And it’s no surprise they opened the most recent episode with a statement (not the usual recorded disclaimer but a passionate statement) on how they never knowingly lie (without mentioning the “factual mishap” in question).

He signed a contract while injured and seemingly did not bother to mention that to the PTO. I would say that’s not giving a fuck.

Okay, and what would be the source of this piece of information? Genuinely curious

Okay, and what would be the source of this piece of information? Genuinely curious

Yeah, did the PTO know he was injured when he signed?

Just that he’s a contracted athlete but has yet to race because of injury.

He signed a contract while injured and seemingly did not bother to mention that to the PTO. I would say that’s not giving a fuck.

You made this accusation. Can you defend it or edit your post?

Such a cringy interview… seems like PTO forced him to do it. Definitely sounds like he couldn’t care less about T100. How can you invoke an injury clause when he admits he can race SF, he just doesn’t want to since he may be in the bottom finishers? PTO should get more heavy handed with revoking contracts and give them to athletes committed to and promoting the series. Hope that next year they focus on athletes that will be all-in on T100.

Happy to edit it to something you deem appropriate. Does “He allegedly signed a contract while injured” work for you?

This dude does not give a fuck. I would not be surprised if the PTO says no thanks to him next year. I like this dude and I’ve got no problem with him wanting to stay out of the limelight and just do his thing, but from the PTOs perspective I’m not sure giving him a contract makes any sense at all. Let him race whenever he wants, but he’s not playing the game well enough to be worth the yearly salary.I think you’re being harsh. Neumann, when he was offered the PTO contract in December, might perfectly reasonably hope that his ITB issues would improve and allow him to train in the early months of the year. The contracts require athletes to compete in 5 of the 7 regular season T100 races. Haug, Philipp and Gomez have all missed two races already: their first race will be San Francisco.
Neumann was clear (in this interview which did seem forced) that he planned to race Kona. So where will the the KQ and when? Vitoria? Given he’s in Europe. But that’s only a fortnight before T100 London. Maybe IM Austria (16 Jun hence missing San Francisco) - entries close tomorrow!
https://files.constantcontact.com/a202847d001/8792042a-2335-4fec-aa14-689124e00d3a.pdf

You say “the dude does not give a fuck” because this is what ProTriNews suggested (was it Pat Lemieux?) when they announced he was racing IM Cairns after going AWOL on the PTO.

Am I wrong? Happy to be corrected.

Now the PTO are denying him ever going AWOL, saying he’s been injured (as earlier reported) and is racing the T100.

Say what you will, but so far this story has made ProTriNews look stupid. And it’s no surprise they opened the most recent episode with a statement (not the usual recorded disclaimer but a passionate statement) on how they never knowingly lie (without mentioning the “factual mishap” in question).

PTN also got the ‘Youri Keulen got a contract for the rest of the series’ thing wrong. They should check some of their sources I guess. But I appreciate the fact they’re not trying to be too vanilla and try to give us insights. Sometimes by doing that you’re wrong. As long as you acknowledge it later and apologise.

Just isn’t a social media guy. Kudos to him, can do whatever he wants.

What was the factual mishap?

Does it feel to you like Max is doing anything at all to bring attention or highlight the T100 series? These athletes are paid to promote the series and he is choosing not to. To me that means he doesn’t give a fuck about the contract. It’s fair if other people see it differently.

Does it feel to you like Max is doing anything at all to bring attention or highlight the T100 series? These athletes are paid to promote the series and he is choosing not to. To me that means he doesn’t give a fuck about the contract. It’s fair if other people see it differently.

Max is just not bringing attention to anything, including himself. Not in his nature. Just accept that he is different from Sam Long or Lionel Sanders and move on.

Say what you will, but so far this story has made ProTriNews look stupid. And it’s no surprise they opened the most recent episode with a statement (not the usual recorded disclaimer but a passionate statement) on how they never knowingly lie (without mentioning the “factual mishap” in question).What was the factual mishap?I missed that too: what was the factual mishap? What made them (PTN) “look stupid”?
Was that the “the word on the street is saying (Neumann) is going to just ignore the PTO and his PTO contract and focus on Kona and maybe race Cairns to qualify”? (ProTriNews pod on 12 May) Seemed like ‘fair comment’ to me: there’s a downside to not communicating on SM (as well as an upside).
Here’s the tri247 article which offers additional context/commentary after the PTO/Neumann video was published:
https://www.tri247.com/...our-london-comeback# which draws on the PTO spiel:
https://protriathletes.org/media-releases/max-neumann-targeting-london-t100-triathlon-return/

From that:
The clause also dictates that in addition to the marketing work, the athletes also then prioritize the tour,
as “racing in another event within 15-days either side of a PTO Tour Event and NOT racing in the Tour Event
will count as a missed Event Obligation, unless otherwise approved by the PTO”.
SM activity is a requirement of the contract but only related to races the athlete is racing: for Neumann that’s so far = 0.

I’ve already said that, given he’s training in Girona, a different IM (to gain KQ) ie not Cairns is far more likely. Anyway IM Cairns is <15 days to T100 SF and racing IM Vitoria 14 days before T100 London really doesn’t sound sensible. So I guess that forces Neumann to race Frankfurt (3 weeks after London: entirely doable).

Finally Neumann says in the video that all his sponsors/partners are content/happy and he doesn’t care what others think/say. I’d be amazed if this (the first bit) was actually the case. After his great result at Kona in 22 and his take down of three Olympic Champions in Ibiza 12 months ago, his time in the BMC Pro Tri team ended.
“We are very grateful for what have done for the team, as top athletes, as fantastic people to work with and for the outstanding results they have achieved . . . . It has been an incredible journey and we wish them all the very best with their future careers.”

Displaying my ignorance (and of course he’s not been seen racing for a year), who is he associated/partnered with now?
His PTO ‘page’ https://stats.protriathletes.org/athlete/max-neumann still has his BMC image.

Exiting the BMC team was presumably a financial decision in Max’s favor. I’m sure BMC would have liked to retain him. Max can earn more money via selecting his own sponsors at this point in the career… and appears to be doing fine with sponsors like Bahrain, The Feed and maybe others that we’re not yet aware of since he hasn’t raced yet.

Exiting the BMC team was presumably a financial decision in Max’s favor. I’m sure BMC would have liked to retain him. Max can earn more money via selecting his own sponsors at this point in the career… and appears to be doing fine with sponsors like Bahrain, The Feed and maybe others that we’re not yet aware of since he hasn’t raced yet.Yes, to be clear: I’m sure Neumann moved on for that reason, just as Matthews and Sodaro did the year before after their exploits in St George/Sub8 and Kona respectively. Well done BMC for picking the Lucies to replace them and messrs Mignon, Madsen and, looking ahead post Paris, Dickinson to bolster the males.