Masters swimming motivational times

Just came across this, thought I’d share. A bit more relevant to us than the USAS AG motivational times that’s for 10-18 year olds. I like it because it gives a bit of motivation to try and get up to the next ranking, or maybe against the next younger age bracket, etc.

on page 9 of the thread, there’s a 2014 update to the tables with a top10 equivalent time.

http://forums.usms.org/...vational-Times/page9

Draft-2014-SCM-Masters-Motivational-Times.pdf
Draft-2014-SCY-Masters-Motivational-Times.pdf
Draft-2014-LCM-Masters-Motivational-Times.pdf

Interesting that the womens 35-39 times are slower than the womens 40-44 times.

I could most likely make the B cut in all events except for fly, woohoo!

I could most likely make the B cut in all events except for fly, woohoo!

I’m a BB cut (using converted SCY times, they’re a bit faster than the SCM times) in my worst events.

Just came across this, thought I’d share. A bit more relevant to us than the USAS AG motivational times that’s for 10-18 year olds. I like it because it gives a bit of motivation to try and get up to the next ranking, or maybe against the next younger age bracket, etc.

on page 9 of the thread, there’s a 2014 update to the tables with a top10 equivalent time.

I didn’t read the 10 plus pages over there, so if the answer to this question is already answered I’m sorry… but, when you say “top 10 time” what do you mean by top 10? Top 10 nationally?

I didn’t read the 10 plus pages over there, so if the answer to this question is already answered I’m sorry… but, when you say “top 10 time” what do you mean by top 10? Top 10 nationally?

Yup, top 10 in the USA. I haven’t read the entire thread in detail, but I think that the “X” times listed are a “top 10 equivalent” time, i.e. if you do those times then you have a roughly 50/50 chance to be in the top 10, based off of the average of the 10th ranked times over the previous number of years. I don’t recall if I saw how many years he went back, 3 maybe?

Yup, top 10 in the USA. I haven’t read the entire thread in detail, but I think that the “X” times listed are a “top 10 equivalent” time, i.e. if you do those times then you have a roughly 50/50 chance to be in the top 10, based off of the average of the 10th ranked times over the previous number of years. I don’t recall if I saw how many years he went back, 3 maybe?

Wow! Thanks for clarifying that. I haven’t focused on swimming for years but that might motivate me to dust off the goggles ;).

So what would be within reach for an AOS on long distance free (400 to 1500)? A? AA? Better than this?

No idea. I’d suggest that isn’t really the best way to think of these things though.

Thanks for finding and posting. I got one AAAA and four AAA times in 60-64. But I think the older age groups have gotten faster over past 5 years. I think I’d be be A or lower for running times,

I came across this a few years ago. It is kinda fun since it reminds me of my youth. Swimosaur actually put out a 2017 update to this in SCY. I didn’t see SCM or LCM but perhaps someone else can find them!

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?27224-2017-Masters-Motivational-Times

Thanks for those charts. I love that stuff, to remind me how lousy I am at swimming!

Am I reading it wrong, though?

Here are some times I’m seeing:

For 1000 yds FREE:

M18-24: B = 16:23
M25-29: B = 15:22
M 30-34: B=15:12
M 35-39: B= 15:14
M 40-44: B =15:19
M 45-49: B = 15:06 ← So the 45 yr old has a higher standard than even the 22 year old and all the others?

The times seem skewed towards the shorter distances…

For example, looking at LCM, A group (M35-39), there’s no way I’m doing a sub 1:09 for 100M free, but I can easily do sub 12:37 for the 800M free.

If you look at the NQT’s for this spring’s USMS national meet, you’ll see that, for the most part, the 45-49 AG has faster qualifying times for the 500, 1000 and 1650 events. But not for the 200 and below events. Perhaps it is because our fast twitch muscle fibers reduce as we age. What we lack in speed, we make up for by being able to go longer distances faster :slight_smile:

Thanks, that does explain the trend I highlighed in those 1000 free times.

I think I can actually hit that “B” time for 1000 free for M45-49 which kinda amazes me given my historical swim suckdom, and as well since the only other motivational times I’ve seen were the youth ones, and as I recall the 9-12 year old girls standards were mostly too hard for me!

The M18-24 1000 “B” Free time of 16:23 seems really slow, honestly - if a slowster like me can beat that by accident by over 30 seconds in the middle of a 3000 yds workout just going moderate-hard workout pace in the middle of a ladder set, it’s gotta be soft!

Thanks for those charts. I love that stuff, to remind me how lousy I am at swimming!

Am I reading it wrong, though?

Here are some times I’m seeing:

For 1000 yds FREE:

M18-24: B = 16:23
M25-29: B = 15:22
M 30-34: B=15:12
M 35-39: B= 15:14
M 40-44: B =15:19
M 45-49: B = 15:06 ← So the 45 yr old has a higher standard than even the 22 year old and all the others?

Yup, that’s right. To understand that, you need to know how they’re calculated, ie from the top times in each AG. So they’re reflective of who shows up, not of what the potential is in each AG. Historically, a lot of really fast swimmers step away from the sport in their late 20’s to 30’s,

If you look at the NQT’s for this spring’s USMS national meet, you’ll see that, for the most part, the 45-49 AG has faster qualifying times for the 500, 1000 and 1650 events. But not for the 200 and below events. Perhaps it is because our fast twitch muscle fibers reduce as we age. What we lack in speed, we make up for by being able to go longer distances faster :slight_smile:

That’s some funny stuff right there!!

I thought you’d like that Jason! Thanks for posting the pdf’s. They are interesting to look at.

But I think the older age groups have gotten faster over past 5 years. I think I’d be be A or lower for running times, //

And you would be right, this chart from 2014 would be like Childs play to todays standards. I wish it were relevant, I would have a half dozen AAAA times, and next year I would be an X’er!! I’m on a year plan now to just get ready to age up, and I just hope the times are not following me too closely!

But I think the older age groups have gotten faster over past 5 years. I think I’d be be A or lower for running times, //

And you would be right, this chart from 2014 would be like Childs play to todays standards. I wish it were relevant, I would have a half dozen AAAA times, and next year I would be an X’er!! I’m on a year plan now to just get ready to age up, and I just hope the times are not following me too closely!

It’s fairly straightforward to manually calculate the times from the USMS top 10 lists . It just gets time consuming to do it for all events and AG’s. But if you wanted to see what happened in your AG for 2019, that data is available.