Legacies: artists who died too soon, too late, or at the right moment

A slightly morbid framing of the question and it goes without saying everyone should live a long happy life. That said, in terms of legacy and cultural impact, who do you think falls into those categories?

Too soon: SRV. I think we missed out on the best he would have had to offer even though what he left behind is almost unmatched.

Too late: Elvis. Setting aside the kitsch value of Fat Elvis and his Vegas era, he became a caricature of himself and it’s an indelible mark on his legacy.

Right time: Bob Marley. Massive catalog, never lost a step or relevance, left us at the absolute pinnacle of his career without the feeling we missed out on anything more by him leaving when he did.

Topic not limited to musicians but it’s an interesting place to start.

There’s the most notable members of the 27 Club:
Hendrix
Joplin
Morrison
Cobain
Winehouse

Too soon:
Freddie Mercury
Jimmy Hendrix
Kurt Cobain
Bob Marley (have to disagree with you here)
Jim Morrison
John Bonham
George Harrison
Randy Rhoads
George Michael

Too late:
Michael Jackson (too late for the kids he abused)

Disagree with Bob Marley. Would have loved to see what else he had to offer. Looking forward to seeing his movie.

Too soon:

Robin Williams
Heath Ledger

Just right?
Pele and Maradona are playing footy together right now in the afterlife.

I think you have some sentimental pics in the too soon category.

Also, two replies, and you guys generally suck at following instructions so far

Mine may be percieved as an overly broad interpreation of: “artist”. Contributors/influencers of society.

Too soon:
Jesus?
Chris Cornell
Kurt Cobain
Alan Turing
Ghandi?

Too late:
Hitler?
Bin laden
Sadam
Escobar?
Strom thurmond
Some of the sacklers of purdue pharma?

Epstein could be either too late or too soon. Debateable.

Too soon

Chris farley
John belushi
Mitch hedberg
Greg geraldo
Anthony bourdain

It is crazy to me how far and fast Elvis fell. He died when I was just a kid. It seemed like he must have been a fat old man given how he was pretty much a joke the entire time I was growing up. Dude was only 42.

Too young actor edition - River Phoenix, Heath Ledger, Chadwick Boseman

About right - Chris Farley and John Belushi - these guys had a ton left to give but their paths were only going to get uglier

Too late - Bill Cosby

Too soon:

Biggie
Tupac
John lennon

Too late:
Phil spector

Too soon:
Freddie Mercury
Jimmy Hendrix
Kurt Cobain
Bob Marley (have to disagree with you here)
Jim Morrison
John Bonham
George Harrison
Randy Rhoads
George Michael

Too late:
Michael Jackson (too late for the kids he abused)

This was a Jimmy Carr joke which I’m sure I’m butchering.

“Want to see my Michael Jackson impression?”

Sure

“You got a young boy who can keep a secret?”

I think you have some sentimental pics in the too soon category.

Also, two replies, and you guys generally suck at following instructions so far

What instructions were there? You asked for who we thought passed too soon, too late, or on time?

Mine may be percieved as an overly broad interpreation of: “artist”. Contributors/influencers of society.

Too soon:
Jesus?

If there was ever a “just the right time” person it was him.

Ah perhaps I see. You said win respect to legacy and cultural impact. You chose to elaborate on those but it was ambiguous whether you wanted us to qualify our nominees or whether you just wanted to to consider those criteria when suggesting names.

Poor instructions!

A slightly morbid framing of the question and it goes without saying everyone should live a long happy life. That said, in terms of legacy and cultural impact, who do you think falls into those categories?

Too soon: SRV. I think we missed out on the best he would have had to offer even though what he left behind is almost unmatched.

Too late: Elvis. Setting aside the kitsch value of Fat Elvis and his Vegas era, he became a caricature of himself and it’s an indelible mark on his legacy.

Right time: Bob Marley. Massive catalog, never lost a step or relevance, left us at the absolute pinnacle of his career without the feeling we missed out on anything more by him leaving when he did.

Topic not limited to musicians but it’s an interesting place to start.

I’d say Prince was just right.

He’s somehow now getting mentioned along with other guitar greats in the advert on the classic rock station they sometimes have on at the gym.

Too soon:
Jesus?

If there was ever a “just the right time” person it was him.

Perfect example.

Sorry, I figured my examples would be a sufficient guide.

Name one example from each and elaborate if it feels necessary

Too soon:

Biggie
Tupac
John lennon

Too late:
Phil spector

Slide Lennon to the Right Time category and it’s a great list.

Agree with Prince. I would add Tom Petty to that list.

Agree with Prince.** I would add Tom Petty to that list**.

Why? Do you enjoy being wrong?

Scratch that. Neither really fits any category. They aged gracefully, musically and otherwise so I don’t see their passing preventing damage to their legacies.