LCB wins IM France with an 8min course record

Bodes well her her long course form and the race coming up.

With a 2:49 run. Impressive.

Not sure how much she pushed the bike or was conservative. Nonetheless, it seems she will be favorite in Nice come September.

Bodes well her her long course form and the race coming up.

Thanks for posting, it’s hard to keep up with all the races these days. While tri247.com says that she won it on the run, actually she was 17:05 ahead after the swim, and won by 16:39, so really she won it on the swim. Pretty rare but I guess it happens on occasion. :slight_smile:

IRONMAN France Nice 2024
Sunday June 16, 2024 – 3.8km / 180km / 42.2km
PRO Women

1. Lucy Charles-Barclay (GBR) – 9:03:22 2. Barbora Besperat (CZE) – 9:20:01 3. Merle Brunnee (GER) – 9:25:21 4. Nina Derron (SUI) – 9:35:33 5. Nikita Paskiewiez (FRA) – 9:43:35

Not sure how much she pushed the bike or was conservative. Nonetheless, it seems she will be favorite in Nice come September.
It is how had she pushed the run that I think is the most interesting. Looking forward to her post race video.

It is how had she pushed the run that I think is the most interesting. Looking forward to her post race video.

Not sure why she burnt those matches running sub 2:50 with such a massive lead. Runs like that are not for free. She could have run an even 3:00 and had much less recovery time ahead. I thought she was going for a paid training day not make a statement to everyone else (but she made the latter). Congrats to her regardless . Amazing race today

Yeah she was 1st in the swim, 3rd on the bike, 1st on the run.

Why could/would she push with that type of lead ? It’s like Anne in Lanzarotte.

I was speaking to a rider that will do the TDF and then one week later the Olympics TT. I said “you’re gonna be toast at the Olympics, won’t you”. “No, after one week of rest we will be firing on all cylinders, we will get a huge boost”.

Is there something about pushing an IM when don’t have to in order to gain fitness ?

Yep, just like Anne,which most would say wasn’t needed. I haven’t looked at her splits so don’t know if she turned it off in the back end of the run or not. Possibly she is going into a mid-season break,who knows? I am sure we will find out soon enough.

I was speaking to a rider that will do the TDF and then one week later the Olympics TT. I said “you’re gonna be toast at the Olympics, won’t you”. “No, after one week of rest we will be firing on all cylinders, we will get a huge boost”.

Is there something about pushing an IM when don’t have to in order to gain fitness ?

I usually Dan lorang atheltes race when they race
You don’t see it very often Dan lorang atheltes piss around
Is it always smart good question?
Do his athletes usually have a long career yes
Both jan and Anne perform (ed) into their 40s and worked 10 and 17 yeas with same coach
And you also see that Fred funk runs not crazy miles , so I guess to look at those things in isolation
Is maybe not the best idea .
It’s his overall system that is sound . And IAM not saying I sometimes wonder why they don’t shut it down after 32 k or so .especially with Lucy that is high stress fracture risk .

The interesring thing
Charles seems to have lost 5.5 min on last downhill to 2 Nd place
And 3 min to 3 rd place finisher .

No I think current athletes are inventing fairy tales when it comes to hard marathons.

Maybe 30 years ago the standard thought was an elite athlete has two good open marathons per year. Like two absolute pointy at the rivet open marathons where an athlete can go deep and not kill their career. Keep in mind that this is not exactly Ironman marathoning where you are going toe to toe at 3 min kms per 2 hrs. Ironman marathoning is not really toe to toe racing and it was more like just sub 4 min kms for 2:40. So the physical beating is less but this is happening between 5-8hrs into a day. It’s still one heart and one set of organs that have to recover.

I think that rule of thumb that the Mark Allen crew had is out the window these days, but the athlete from that time had long solid careers. Now the athletes go super fast when they don’t need to like there is no penalty but there is.

Love him or hate him, Brett Sutton had to reign in his top athletes when. They had wins in the bag. There is nothing to be gained after the win is secure other than jeopardizing the next win in his book.

Now the athletes go super fast when they don’t need to like there is no penalty but there is.

Love him or hate him, Brett Sutton had to reign in his top athletes when. They had wins in the bag. There is nothing to be gained after the win is secure other than jeopardizing the next win in his book.

But this is the thing : she didn’t need to, nor did Annie, but they did.

And these athletes did not do it because they can’t be held back. This is very calculated.

And calculated by a genius, hence why I wonder what is behind it.

I usually Dan lorang atheltes race when they race
You don’t see it very often Dan lorang atheltes piss around
Is it always smart good question?
Do his athletes usually have a long career yes
Both jan and Anne perform (ed) into their 40s and worked 10 and 17 yeas with same coach
And you also see that Fred funk runs not crazy miles , so I guess to look at those things in isolation
Is maybe not the best idea .
It’s his overall system that is sound . And IAM not saying I sometimes wonder why they don’t shut it down after 32 k or so .especially with Lucy that is high stress fracture risk .

The interesring thing
Charles seems to have lost 5.5 min on last downhill to 2 Nd place
And 3 min to 3 rd place finisher .

Dan deserves a “All encompassing Dan Lorang” thread

The man is the performance directory of a pro cycling team with Primoz a contender for the TDF

He has Annie, Lucy, Funk, Aaron Royle, Taylor and maybe others we don’t know

I don’t think he coaches Aron,
Kyle smith it is
And 2 Olympians Laura Lindeman and Lasse Luehrs

I don’t think he coaches Aron,
Kyle smith it is
And 2 Olympians Laura Lindeman and Lasse Luehrs

Yes, you are right.

That is a big stable of athletes with his Bora responsibilities.

My girlfriend is the third Place finisher. Lucy did not run a „2:49“ the Marathon is short. Merle started learning how to swim in January and since then has been Swimming 2-3/week 2-3ks and only lost 15min to Lucy Charles, happy Day 🤣

Only 😄

Anne still backed it up with a 1:13 marathon today

No I think current athletes are inventing fairy tales when it comes to hard marathons.

Maybe 30 years ago the standard thought was an elite athlete has two good open marathons per year. Like two absolute pointy at the rivet open marathons where an athlete can go deep and not kill their career. Keep in mind that this is not exactly Ironman marathoning where you are going toe to toe at 3 min kms per 2 hrs. Ironman marathoning is not really toe to toe racing and it was more like just sub 4 min kms for 2:40. So the physical beating is less but this is happening between 5-8hrs into a day. It’s still one heart and one set of organs that have to recover.

I think that rule of thumb that the Mark Allen crew had is out the window these days, but the athlete from that time had long solid careers. Now the athletes go super fast when they don’t need to like there is no penalty but there is.

also technology has helped a lot since that time. marathoner cj albertson doing two 2:11 back to back marathons here in SoCal in dec. 2 months later 2:10 at olympic trials, then next 2 months 2:08 at Boston marathon

Anne still backed it up with a 1:13 marathon today

Where did she race ?

Very impressive swim by Merle! And yes, the marathon was short by about 1 km, so Lucy’s admittedly fast run time adjusted for course length would be closer to 2:54, which is still 3 minutes faster than her best ever marathon off the bike (in Kona).

Now considering how hot and humid Kona is, we can speculate that she would’ve run much faster than 2:57 on a course other than Kona when she won her IMWC gold. This maybe sheds a light on the discussion on whether Dan Lorang’s athletes always race balls to the wall. Maybe she had a 2:45 (for 41 km, equivalent to 2:49 for 42 km) in her today but didn’t really go all out.