Laidlow given validation for Kona despite DQF?

Just reading this now :open_mouth:

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/despite-dq-sam-laidlow-given-validation-at-ironman-vitoria-gasteiz-so-he-can-race-in-kona/

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Sam followed the onsite protest process, acted professionally throughout, and most importantly, showed respect to the process and his fellow competitors, all of which is in the spirit of the sport and reflective of Sam’s professionalism. Sam’s completion of the event matches the fulfilment of other validation eligible athletes and the spirit of the policy extended accordingly.

So now to race Kona you mostly have to show some freaking respect 😂

If Laidlow had flipped off an official, I imagine his slot would not have been considered - as per written policy - validated?

Here is a video from the situation where Laidlow was arguing with the moto-ref, who passed him the penalty.
Maybe that is respectful - maybe not. But hey - he is the reigning world champ - money talks :slight_smile:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Sam followed the onsite protest process, acted professionally throughout, and most importantly, showed respect to the process and his fellow competitors, all of which is in the spirit of the sport and reflective of Sam’s professionalism. Sam’s completion of the event matches the fulfilment of other validation eligible athletes and the spirit of the policy extended accordingly.

So now to race Kona you mostly have to show some freaking respect 😂

If Laidlow had flipped off an official, I imagine his slot would not have been considered - as per written policy - validated?

Based on IM’s reading of their own rule, anyone who gets across the finish line has “completed the race” (i.e. is officially considered a finisher), even if they were DQ’d during or after the event.

Congratulations to Chucky V on having an additional Kona finish!

Sam’s completion of the event matches the fulfilment of other validation eligible athletes and the spirit of the policy extended accordingly.

Just so incomprehensibly stupid. Congrats WC Sam on demonstrating to WTC and the world that you are capable of completing an Ironman. You have now met the criteria to defend your championship. Again, just so inanely, blindingly, mind-boggingly stupid.

Congrats Armand Duplantis on showing you can run and hold a pole at the same time once again in 2024. You have now validated that you are capable of defending your world championship and world record.

Seriously WTC, if you want the policy that winners have auto-qualified for future Kona then leave it at that. Quit this validation bs. If you want winners to race your events the next year, then don’t auto-qualify them when they win; make them qualify all over again like everyone else. But quit this ridiculous middle ground of “you are qualified if you can finish an event next year”. It’s so stupid.

Rules are rules until they don’t fit the narrative… awful.

Personally as reigning champion, I find it weird he isn’t just given automatically an opportunity to defend it (separate issue) - but he messed up in Spain got a DNF, removed off the timing and wasn’t classified, and to me that says he DID NOT FINISH.

Just as well hand out the medals when you collect your bib and call it a participation medal… I suppose they gave Pro Series points to him too?

What a joke…

But rules don’t apply to Sam, he just ignores them. This isn’t the first time and it won’t be the last.

At some point he needs to grow up and stop behaving like an arrogant brat.

I doubt he will be on the podium this year.

IM felt like they needed to give him the slot, for various reasons.

They could go down the route of:
a) interpreting the rules, that this was a valid validation
b) giving him a wild card

They probably didn’t want to open another can of worms with wild cards, so they interpreted the word “finisher” to their purpose :wink:

Is it good or bad? - I think it’s good. Yes, it’s ugly in terms of rules & formalities, but definitely in “the spirit of triathlon” or simply “fair play”. SL put the effort into finishing the race (so he’s as exhausted as any other qualifying athlete) and he did it with respect (didn’t walk the marathon, didn’t run backwards, potentially chose not to chase the win to take the tape, didn’t burst on social media the minute he finished the race etc.).

Just as well hand out the medals when you collect your bib and call it a participation medal… I suppose they gave Pro Series points to him too?

What a joke…

Please have a look at the article in the first post and read it carefully:

"(…) *Sam proceeded to follow the protest process on site, but the competition jury upheld the disqualification, meaning Sam was not eligible for Ironman Pro Series points or prize money. ** *
Sam Laidlow’s completion of the Ironman Vitoria-Gasteiz triathlon meets Ironman’s written 2025 policy on the Ironman World Championship validation (…)"

Seriously WTC, if you want the policy that winners have auto-qualified for future Kona then leave it at that. Quit this validation bs. If you want winners to race your events the next year, then don’t auto-qualify them when they win; make them qualify all over again like everyone else. But quit this ridiculous middle ground of “you are qualified if you can finish an event next year”. It’s so stupid.

To nobody’s surprise, IM coming out with stupid rules that are either valid or not depending on the outcome.
Current cycling olympic champion hasn’t been selected to defend his title. 2016 triathlon olympic champions failed to qualify for the next olympics they tried in Tokyio and Paris. Triple triathlon medalist fails to qualify for Paris.
But IM is different, everything is possible and always money driven. You had a full year to complete 1 IM or 2 70.3 and you chose to risk it all and wait at the very end. Failed. No worries, you’ll get bib number 1.

Btw Sam is a nice guy and deserves to defend his title, but don’t put stupid rules that you overrule because the precedent is set

I sort of sympathize with the argument, but then again the bullshit they had to roll out to explain this “interpretation of the rules” is eye watering.

This is another example of IM treating rules as mere recommendations and being completely arbitrary. FFS just introduce a wild card system intended to handle situations like this and be done with it. Legalize IT! (Arbitrary decisions, I mean)

I don’t get why wildcards would open a can of worms bigger than this. Athletes can now do a whole bunch of illegal things on course (drastically reducing fatigue) and just be respectful to the refs when they’re being handed penalties - voila, here’s your validation.

Hey Kajet, they don’t need to introduce the wild card system. It’s there in the 2024 IRONMAN® WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE QUALIFICATION & VALIDATION:

"
7. Wild Cards
a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitations to participate in the 2024 Championship Race.
b. IRONMAN, in its sole discretion, may elect to offer special invitations to 2024 Olympic Champions to participate in the 2024 Championship Race.
"

Wild cards would be a can of worms for all athletes that decided not to bother. E.g. Kristian & Taylor, for whom the Olympics are the primary objective. But before the season IM was afraid that many pros wouldn’t race non-WC events, focusing on T100 & Roth, not only the Olympic contenders. Eventually almost all ‘risky’ athletes validated (e.g. Anne, Laura, Daniela, Gustav etc.).

Here is a video from the situation where Laidlow was arguing with the moto-ref, who passed him the penalty.
Maybe that is respectful - maybe not. But hey - he is the reigning world champ - money talks :slight_smile:

Meanwhile Kallin crosses the center line right in front of the official and doesn’t get a penalty ( or QD’ed)

True haha - but in fairness, Kalinn needed to get out of the way.

Meanwhile Kallin crosses the center line right in front of the official and doesn’t get a penalty ( or QD’ed)

Yep, everyone should put their race on hold while the world champ argues with the ref.

The rule is consistent he was dqued for the race as he should have, if the race ranger showed him to be in red zone when he got the penalty

But finished the race competitively which are the rules for validation.
And according to him he was the athelte that spent the least time in the red zone of all athletes. I have no idea if that is true but on the whole, few have put him in the youri keulen category…

Anyway it’s clear that
When a validation rule includes everything is at the sole discretion of ironman the rule needs to be improved to be a bit more tangible

Going forward drafting calls in the pro field are not really discretionary anymore and should be allowed to be appealed
If race ranger was working when the penalty was given.

To nobody’s surprise, IM coming out with stupid rules that are either valid or not depending on the outcome.
Current cycling olympic champion hasn’t been selected to defend his title. 2016 triathlon olympic champions failed to qualify for the next olympics they tried in Tokyio and Paris. Triple triathlon medalist fails to qualify for Paris.
But IM is different, everything is possible and always money driven. You had a full year to complete 1 IM or 2 70.3 and you chose to risk it all and wait at the very end. Failed. No worries, you’ll get bib number 1.

Btw Sam is a nice guy and deserves to defend his title, but don’t put stupid rules that you overrule because the precedent is set

Either a DQ is a finish or not. If another pro who say finishes third in a three slot pro race but gets a DQ for drafting and not serving does this person also get the Kona slot on top of giving a slot to the 4th across the line who technically should win the slot (creating a slot for a non finisher?).

In that case does the person who finished in 17:00.01 get a finish? The endless number of people missing swim and bike cut offs allowed to continue?

Sam had all year to qualify for Kona this year.

He left it to the last moment.

Endless people spend liftetimes trying to Kona qualify by the rules that are placed and never get there…or they get there after multiple decades.

They should have given Sam the boot just to respect EVERYONE else who plays by the rules and fails.

Literally Sam has the EASIEST KONA qual criteria of ANYONE on the planet and he screwed it up.

They should have made him sit it out and suffer it out for a year. No one forced Sam to do all the T100 races, but he chose to do that. I’d have told him to take a hike and just get on the start line of the next IM that he can validate his Nice qual for 2025

They should have made him sit it out and suffer it out for a year. No one forced Sam to do all the T100 races, but he chose to do that. I’d have told him to take a hike and just get on the start line of the next IM that he can validate his Nice qual for 2025

Lionel,is that you?

To add to this, I have NEVER heard of any controversy from recent champions who had trouble “validating”: Ryf, Haug, Frodeno, Lange…even going back to 2013 and 2014 (Van Lierde, Kienle). They all managed to get organized and get things done on time. And Lucy Charles and Iden got organzed in time this year.

They should make this guy sit out. It’s just disrespectful for everyone else who played by the rules (including the person who misses the 16:59.59 cut off).

Countless champions across sports don’t requalify for their sports championship. There is a path to get to the championship that is always outlined. I think Ironman just devalued themselves saying there are different rules if you are Sam.

Replying to thread generally, but I’m writing up something for the front page on the whole thing: validation generally, Sam’s schedule, the DSQ / rulebook and then this morning’s statement of validation despite the DSQ.