Justice Alito throws his wife under the bus

Between 1/6 and Biden’s inauguration, Alito’s house was photographed with an upside-down “Stop the Steal” US flag on their flagpole. This just came to light and was reported in The New York Times. The flag was reportedly up for several days. Apparently, Alito didn’t notice the prominent flag. Riiight.

Alito dissented in a case before the Court at the time regarding the election in Pennsylvania; said case was deemed moot.

“I had no involvement whatsoever in the flying of the flag,” Justice Alito said in an emailed statement to The Times. “It was briefly placed by Mrs. Alito in response to a neighbor’s use of objectionable and personally insulting language on yard signs.”

While likely true, he attempts to absolve himself of any responsibility.

Interviews show that the justice’s wife, Martha-Ann Alito, had been in a dispute with another family on the block over an anti-Trump sign on their lawn, but given the timing and the starkness of the symbol, neighbors interpreted the inverted flag as a political statement by the couple.

The anti-Trump sign was likely a “F*** Trump” sign. Lovely neighborhood. Doesn’t everyone who objects to an anti-Trump lawn sign put up a “Stop the Steal” flag?

Court rules forbid employees from things like this or even bumper stickers. Rules for thee, but not for me.

If I’ve learned nothing else over the last fews years, it’s that Supreme Court justices have some whacky spouses.

So as suspected, Alito is as compromised as Thomas.

I will put on my shocked face.

Seems like Alito is pretty much an arsehole from what little I know of him. Any good stories on this guy?

If I’ve learned nothing else over the last fews years, it’s that Supreme Court justices have some whacky spouses.

That might be so, and it is telling that the only ones you hear about are the wives of Thomas and (now) Alito.

Someone posted a 2021 interview with Kraken Powell with this commentary:

This new interview by Powell is interesting. It suggests that the purpose of the insurrection was to DELAY the electoral college certification to give Alito time to intervene on this legal challenge. But, Powell says they didn’t anticipate Pelosi reconvening Congress that day.

That might be so, and it is telling that the only ones you hear about are the wives of Thomas and (now) Alito.

Someone posted a 2021 interview with Kraken Powell with this commentary:

This new interview by Powell is interesting. It suggests that the purpose of the insurrection was to DELAY the electoral college certification to give Alito time to intervene on this legal challenge. But, Powell says they didn’t anticipate Pelosi reconvening Congress that day.

Cool, so the Supreme Court was in on it.

Having said that… Powell is a complete nut so anything she says should be taken with a sea of salt.

Can we assume Trump very concerned about this revelation? I hear him complaining about a conflicted judge daily.

Can we assume Trump very concerned about this revelation? I hear him complaining about a conflicted judge daily.

The people who are “concerned about the DOJ” are very concerned…nah, they don’t care.

Didn’t notice? Seriously?

00alito_house_gqcp_superjumbo_43bc2444e8debaef4f104ff98fa09b45acca9e7d.jpg

Clearly the squirrel did it.

My only question is how are we only learning about this now?

Between 1/6 and Biden’s inauguration, Alito’s house was photographed with an upside-down “Stop the Steal” US flag on their flagpole. This just came to light and was reported in The New York Times. The flag was reportedly up for several days. Apparently, Alito didn’t notice the prominent flag. Riiight.

Alito dissented in a case before the Court at the time regarding the election in Pennsylvania; said case was deemed moot.

“I had no involvement whatsoever in the flying of the flag,” Justice Alito said in an emailed statement to The Times. “It was briefly placed by Mrs. Alito in response to a neighbor’s use of objectionable and personally insulting language on yard signs.”

Interviews show that the justice’s wife, Martha-Ann Alito, had been in a dispute with another family on the block over an anti-Trump sign on their lawn, but given the timing and the starkness of the symbol, neighbors interpreted the inverted flag as a political statement by the couple.

The anti-Trump sign was likely a “F*** Trump” sign. Lovely neighborhood. Doesn’t everyone who objects to an anti-Trump lawn sign put up a “Stop the Steal” flag?

Court rules forbid employees from things like this or even bumper stickers. Rules for thee, but not for me.

now do clarence thomas!!

So you are saying between Alito and Thomas neither of them has the balls to stand up to their wives? Both of these guys are a disgrace to the supreme court and a perfect example why there should be term limits and not life time appointments.

So you are saying between Alito and Thomas neither of them has the balls to stand up to their wives? Both of these guys are a disgrace to the supreme court and a perfect example why there should be term limits and not life time appointments.

Their wives have been told diabolical lies.

I hate to defend Alito, but I can see not noticing the flag was flipped upside down if it was always there. You just walk past and don’t look at it closely at all.

I hate to defend Alito, but I can see not noticing the flag was flipped upside down if it was always there. You just walk past and don’t look at it closely at all.

Agreed.

Not sure I’d notice that in passing, and especially if it was just hanging down so that the flag was “hidden” (vs flying in a breeze where you could see the whole flag)

Sticks out like shit in milk to me.

It’s funny how if an anti-war liberal or something flies a U.S. flag upside down, they’re told if you don’t like the U.S. you’re welcome to leave, etc.

If it’s done in defense of the rapist NY real-estate mogul and huckster, it’s apparently patriotic.

Why does the OP say “Alito’s house was photographed with an upside-down “Stop the Steal” US flag on their flagpole,” and the photograph show an upside-down US flag?

A flag that says “Stop the Steal” would be more eye-catching than a standard US flag.

Why does the OP say “Alito’s house was photographed with an upside-down “Stop the Steal” US flag on their flagpole,” and the photograph show an upside-down US flag?

A flag that says “Stop the Steal” would be more eye-catching than a standard US flag.

Someone correct my flag knowledge if nec, but isn’t an upside down flag used to indicate distress? And it’s been “co-opted” to protest an “stolen election”, so indirectly a distress signal I suppose.

It does look like there’s a light source on the mulch patch, so I’m guessing that the flag flew that way for days vs. being raised / lowered daily at sunset.

I don’t buy the wife doing the flag raising bit.

I’d give a pass if it was an activist high school or college student still living at home. A spouse, no. Sorry, folks with these backgrounds and connections should have no part in the SCOTUS. Either side, just to cover that aspect in case a liberal justice has an antifa spouse riding around town doing weird stuff.

The fringe is winning by relying on the middle ground to hold their nose and vote party line, and make incremental in-roads towards normality.

And, like Justice Thomas, Justice Alito never discusses these topics with his wife. Right?