Jacksonville Pools? Rides?

I just moved to the Neptune Beach area. I am looking for a pool to swim at - preferably around 6 AM. Suggestions?

There’s a couple YMCA’s that open at 5am, but they’re a bit of a drive from NB. One off JTB the other in South Ponte Vedra. UNF has a nice pool but it doesn’t open early enough and is also a drive.

From what I understand it’s gotten a lot busier since I lived there so I don’t know how safe it is today, but A1A South from the beaches to St. Augustine was a nice ride. There’s parts of the East Coast Greenway which are bikes only up in Talbot Island and the Baldwin Rail-Trail west of town.
I’m sure Champion Cycling or the Trek store can help finding good rides.

Neptune Beach kind of puts you in No Man’s Land.

Having a First Coast YMCA membership gives you a lot of options as mentioned but the closest ones to NB are in Ponte Vedra Beach/Sawgrass area or over by St. Johns Town Center. Not really close to you.

Google maps shows a LA Fitness at 985 Atlantic Blvd. They have a pool. Looks to be the closest lap pool to Neptune Beach.

There’s a couple YMCA’s that open at 5am, but they’re a bit of a drive from NB. One off JTB the other in South Ponte Vedra. UNF has a nice pool but it doesn’t open early enough and is also a drive.

From what I understand it’s gotten a lot busier since I lived there so I don’t know how safe it is today, but A1A South from the beaches to St. Augustine was a nice ride. There’s parts of the East Coast Greenway which are bikes only up in Talbot Island and the Baldwin Rail-Trail west of town.
I’m sure Champion Cycling or the Trek store can help finding good rides.

Absolutely zero chance I’d ride A1A from NB down to St. Aug. The Jax Beach and Ponte Vedra Beach areas have become crazy busy along A1A. The only rideable portion is south of Mickler’s and doesn’t get sketchy again until north of Vilano. I wouldn’t ride that portion either but people do.

For riding I’m lucky that I can stay within my planned community. I have a 20-something mile loop I ride that is 85% in a bike lane and I never once leave my neighborhood.

I’m just across “the ditch” by Mayo Clinic.

For pools,
Beaches Aquatic Center is right there, old pool, but 25yds with lane line and backstroke flags.
https://www.bacpool.com/

Fletcher High School Pool. They have public hours all summer, not sure about the rest of the year. Might check with the team that runs out of that pool.
https://www.beachesaquaticclub.com/

Plenty of neighborhood lap pools, though you’ll need a resident friend to get you in: Atlantic Beach Country Club, Queens Harbor, Jax Golf, Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, The Lodge, etc.

Riding:
South on A1A aka 1st Street works and is convenient. or south on Solana/Roscoe Rd, West on Michlers/Palm Valley Blvd into Nocatee is another popular route used on the Tue/Thur night rides. Gravel riding in Guana River Wildlife Area is plentiful.

North you can go A1A to Mayport and take the ferry across and take A1A all the way up to Fernandina Beach. There is a paved trail along Big Talbot and Little Talbot Island State Park. Great for a long ride as you can refuel up in FB.

West from NB on Wonderwood to Ft. Caroline Rd. There is a short punchy hill on Majestic Bluff Drive right off Fort Caroline.

Different people have different tolerance to traffic, but I’ve ridden all of the above within the last summer.

As a welcome to the area, if you want to race Clash Daytona in December, shoot me an email andre at clash-usa dot com and I’ll get you a discount code.

Oh yeah, and if you have a MTB go ride Hanna Park. about 9mi worth of trails, well maintain. Hard tail works, but FS might be more comfy.

And people ride the beach at low tide on MTB or gravel bikes. You could go all the way to St. Augustine on hard pack if you time it right

Lived in Jacksonville for a 17 years…towards the end I found BAC. It is an old pool, but it is outdoors, and open 24/7. It was my secret haven during COVID since I could still swim there, while all other pools were closed. It is definitely no frills, but personally I would rather swim there then LA Fitness/Esporta. The guys at Champion Cycling are good dudes.

For pools,
Beaches Aquatic Center is right there, old pool, but 25yds with lane line and backstroke flags.
https://www.bacpool.com/

Fletcher High School Pool. They have public hours all summer, not sure about the rest of the year. Might check with the team that runs out of that pool.
https://www.beachesaquaticclub.com/

Plenty of neighborhood lap pools, though you’ll need a resident friend to get you in: Atlantic Beach Country Club, Queens Harbor, Jax Golf, Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, The Lodge, etc.

Is BAC open? There was some stuff on Google saying it is closed. That’s why I was hesitant to recommend.

Fletcher’s pool is afternoon’s only and I’m not sure it’s open to the public when school is in session.

All of those pools you listed as neighborhood pools are membership only clubs and not neighborhood/resident pools. Atlantic Beach CC, Queens Harbor CC, Jax Golf CC, PV Inn & Club, and Lodge & Club are all membership only… and they’re all pricey. I’m a member at The Lodge & Club with reciprocal membership (except golf) to PV Inn & Club as they’re owned by the same group. Current initiation fee at The Lodge & Club is $35,000. $75,000 at The PV Inn & Club.

Riding:
South on A1A aka 1st Street works and is convenient. or south on Solana/Roscoe Rd, West on Michlers/Palm Valley Blvd into Nocatee is another popular route used on the Tue/Thur night rides. Gravel riding in Guana River Wildlife Area is plentiful.

North you can go A1A to Mayport and take the ferry across and take A1A all the way up to Fernandina Beach. There is a paved trail along Big Talbot and Little Talbot Island State Park. Great for a long ride as you can refuel up in FB.

West from NB on Wonderwood to Ft. Caroline Rd. There is a short punchy hill on Majestic Bluff Drive right off Fort Caroline.

Different people have different tolerance to traffic, but I’ve ridden all of the above within the last summer.

You’re braver than I am. Not a chance in the world I’d ride A1A between Neptune and Mickler’s.

My kids were on the BAC summer swim club this year so it was open, but have not been there since August. Fletcher HS pool hours are weird, but basically in NB. Listed out those other pools as I didn’t know where OP lived. We’re in Pablo Bay and have a 25yr pool with painted 3 lanes, but no lane lines. Plenty of neighborhood like that: The Woods, Crosswater, Villages of Pablo, etcv. just giving the guy options. Yes, those beach clubs are expensive, but just sharing places I know where people swim.

See you at the races!

You’re braver than I am. Not a chance in the world I’d ride A1A between Neptune and Mickler’s.

To clarify, I mean 1st Street which is 2 block east of “A1A”, then becomes Ponte Vedra Blvd. Ride by multimillion dollar waterfront mansions on a 2 lane road

To clarify, I mean 1st Street which is 2 block east of “A1A”, then becomes Ponte Vedra Blvd. Ride by multimillion dollar waterfront mansions on a 2 lane road

Yep, that makes more sense.

Last I heard BAC was open, but the last time I swam at BAC was NOV 2020.

Just left in 2021. Good group ride from the Lodge in Ponte Vedra Beach into Nocatee and around the big Nocatee loop. I would often do that ride mid-week as well and find other riders out there.

Enjoy!

Just left in 2021. Good group ride from the Lodge in Ponte Vedra Beach into Nocatee and around the big Nocatee loop. I would often do that ride mid-week as well and find other riders out there.

Enjoy!

I live in Nocatee and that’s the 20-something loop I referred to above.

If anyone needs directions for Nocatee rides let me know.

That lodge ride definitely gets spicy!

Lived in Jacksonville for a 17 years…towards the end I found BAC. It is an old pool, but it is outdoors, and open 24/7. It was my secret haven during COVID since I could still swim there, while all other pools were closed. It is definitely no frills, but personally I would rather swim there then LA Fitness/Esporta. The guys at Champion Cycling are good dudes.

Wow, an outdoor pool open 24/7, amazing!!! Do you recall if it was open on Thanksgiving and Xmas??? Also, is it available for out of town walk-ins???

It is open everyday. There is a lock pad on the gate. It is not monitored so you can go whenever you want. Chemicals are super harsh. After a week without a cap my hair began falling out. A good suit gets a month until it shreds. Temperatures are cold in the winter and mid 90s in the summer. I doubt they do drop ins.

I am a bit shocked to hear that the chemicals are that bad. Never had an issue there in the year+ I swam - wonder if they changed it up. I thought they were using bromine when I was there, but could be wrong. They used to dome the pool in the winter, but doesn’t sound like it anymore. And yes to the pool being hot as all in the summer. If you time it right after a PM thunderstorm in the summer it would cool down just enough to get through it. Otherwise, bring a big water bottle to cool yourself off with between sets.

I don’t think they do drop-ins, but they are definitely open all year.

It is open everyday. There is a lock pad on the gate. It is not monitored so you can go whenever you want. Chemicals are super harsh. After a week without a cap my hair began falling out. A good suit gets a month until it shreds. Temperatures are cold in the winter and mid 90s in the summer. I doubt they do drop ins.

Hmmm, very unusual, sounds like a 24/7 pool without lifeguards. That would not bother me per se but I would think it would result in high insurance rates. i will have to check it out next time I am in J-ville. Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

I am a bit shocked to hear that the chemicals are that bad. Never had an issue there in the year+ I swam - wonder if they changed it up. I thought they were using bromine when I was there, but could be wrong. They used to dome the pool in the winter, but doesn’t sound like it anymore. And yes to the pool being hot as all in the summer. If you time it right after a PM thunderstorm in the summer it would cool down just enough to get through it. Otherwise, bring a big water bottle to cool yourself off with between sets.

I don’t think they do drop-ins, but they are definitely open all year.

Interesting, thanks for your insights.