Jackie Hering's New Bike Before IRONMAN World Championship in Nice.

Originally published at: Jackie Hering’s New Bike Before IRONMAN World Championship in Nice. - Slowtwitch News

The question I have is this. As a top-tier professional triathlete, do you change up bikes 3.5 weeks before a World Championship? If I asked 95% of the professional field this question, they would look at me like I was crazy. I mean, I get it. So let me be clear: I didn’t “Ask” Jackie to do this. What I did for Jackie was help her get it done. The real credit goes to the village of people who are her sponsors and friends who support her.

Certified Piedmontese, Shimano, ENVE, and her new sponsor Cervelo. At the last minute, every single one of the brand managers at these companies dropped everything to make sure she had everything she needed to be shipped to Lincoln,NE in time so she could make this happen. Also, a huge shot out to our very own Ian Murry at F.I.S.T who made the long trip at the last minute to make sure that Jackie’s transition over was as smooth as possible, and let’s not forget Eli Cullison, who took the time at the GOODLIFE CYCLERY who not only blocked out the F.I.S.T studio for the day but also made sure that Jackie‘s bike got built.

If you don’t know much about Jackie Hering, you should. Why? Because she is cool. I don’t know what else to say about that. She has a lengthy history as an amateur and professional triathlete in our sport. She has multiple 140.6 and 70.3 titles. She was one of the first to take time off to become a mom and start a family and come back into peak racing form. Yes many have done this and probably maybe even before her but I can’t think of anyone that is now really current that stopped triathlon has a female 8 years ago to have 2 kids get them going for a good couple of years, and then get back to in the sport years later and still be as successful as she is currently. Also usually (unless someone is just an odd duck), she is very much liked and respected by her peers and fans.

Now, I’m not saying Jackie is some butterball of joy all the time. She is a mother of two who is just getting stuff done. She can be quick on the uptake, and if she doesn’t like something, she will be the first to tell you. If you don’t know any better, you will think you are getting the “Mom look” and probably reply with, “Yes, mam.” It’s why I have always respected her, though I appreciate people who are direct and have the common sense to go with that. I would guess that is what most people would agree with me on. She has fun while getting things done.

During the crazy time of COVID-19, when the bike business was having its hay day with sales, Jackie was trying to get back into the sport. She didn’t have a bike sponsor, and things didn’t look good at the time. We at Slowtwitch couldn’t even get bikes because the marketing people thought they didn’t need us. (That aged well) She started racing again and was on a very old BMC that worked but didn’t compare to the rest of the field. She was swimming well, losing time on the bike, and showing strength on the run. When she would show up RUN fit, she was able to claw back to podiums and some wins. When she wasn’t totally fit, she would probably think to herself (Do I really want to do this again) During that time going into the fall of 2023, I had been talking to her about her Certified Piedmontese sponsorship and I was trying to help her (as I try to do with anyone that I can be successful as I can). The conversation about her bike situation was an issue for her. She had been cancelled from her local shop for standing up for women in sport and she really didnt have any recent results to show. We at slowtwitch had just gotten a P series to do some other things with, and it was 54cm (not my size at all), so instead of sending it back, I called our contact at Cervelo and asked the question and they 100% where onboard with my request to repurpose that ride. Jackie was going in the Long Course direction in 2024, Which I might add has been the right choice for her, as she continues to sit #1 on the Ironman Pro Series.

Long story short, Jackie, on her own, ended up winning Cervelo’s eyeballs, and Jackie alone closed that deal with them. We at SlowTwitch did what we do: connect people. We also wanted to tell the story about it. So, what is this story? 

How did a top-tier professional triathlete feel comfortable switching bikes 3.5 weeks before the biggest race of her year?

Simple.  She wanted to, and the new bike is basically the old one (from a fit perspective) 

There is a reason Cervelo has owned the Bike count at KONA since 2005. Yep, you read that right. Cervelo has won every single bike count since 2005. Why? A couple of reasons but not all. #1 They make fast bikes, and people know they are fast #2 They have great marketing for the most part, and #3 They, for the most part, never chase the rabbit down the hole. The engineers at Cervelo are smart, sensible, and for the most part, move slowly. In other words, they don’t tend to get “Side Quested,” and when it came to the recent P series and the P5, they didn’t. They made just the right number of changes that made the new bike “more better” to entice people to pay attention and “easy enough” to make the change. After all, we are talking about less than a 1% change in geometry. (If you want to read more about what I am talking about CLICK HERE for our P5 Article)

Over the last two years at the helm of Slowtwitch, I have learned that people hate change. They ask for it all the time. But when you do it, you, “The Changer,” become the most hated idiot on the planet (so they say).

The biggest thing that Jackie wanted was internal cable routing. She wanted to not only be fast, she wanted to “LOOK FAST,”. I told her it comes at a price, just like I told everyone in my other video. You are always and will forever lose adjustability regarding a proprietary cockpit. The million-dollar question is. Does that actual wind tunnel speed and that “look speed” translate to the rider in the real world? Or, in other words, can the rider get comfortable enough to hold the position that proprietary front will force them into?

In the newer Cervelo P5, they have certainly made the argument that one can get in almost every position one needs. They even allow you to switch to third-party extensions with the more general 31.8mm clamp diameter. Nonetheless, it’s still an integrated front end,so yes, it does test faster in the wind tunnel, but, stem length, steam, and armrest height, and just packing your bike will all be more complicated.

Don’t ever tell a strong woman what to do. So when Jackie was dead set on this I was ok. LFG!!! Jackie contacted Shimano and Enve, and once we knew everything was en route to Lincoln, NE. Ian Murray was the first person I called and asked for assistance. The date was set, and Ian, Jackie, and Eli knocked it out of the park. Jackie came down for a long weekend. She did the GRAVEL WORLDS 20K run, the 75-mile gravel ride, and the Great Plains Gravel Triathlon. Then it was off the shop for NEW BIKE DAY.

What’s the build? 

What changed during her fit with Ian Murry? Mostly down a little more, slightly more forward.

• Saddle was pushed 2mm forward
  • Saddle height came down 24mm
  • Arm rest width came in 15mm
  • Pad elevation came down 13mm
  • Nose to extension extended 3mm
  • Cleats push back ( Or under the sole)

Note that some saddle height reductions would occur because of the cleat adjustments. So, when you consider all of those, these are pretty minor adjustments, but I’ll let the FIT geeks chime in. Also chime into the later part of the video where Ian and Jackie talk about it.

So what changed with her fit after about a week of her riding outside? Jackie bought a pair of Zipp S curves extensions that where on her P-Series prior, and ended up moving her cleats back to the front again. Ultimately, those two things wouldn’t work for her on such short notice. All of which was based on some common sense logic.

We wish Jackie the best with the new rig and will check on her progress once we get into NICE later this week. So stay tuned.

4 Likes

MS Word Editor is you friend here. Sloppy lack of punctuation, misspelled words. Not professional.

At the end of the day, no slowtwitcher will be surprised (goto 7:00)
The main conclusion? The seat is too high :rofl:

Thanks for the writeup. The more I learn about Jackie the neater she seems, though I’d recognize that Midwestern work ethic from a mile away! I’ll bet that made fitting more challenging, since she’ll just grin and bear it.
e.g. “Feels a little different” Google translate from Midwestern: “my legs have fallen off and I can’t breathe.”

Come write for us… People can teach you the difference between 'You and Your" in comments :slight_smile:

Oh, I’m typing on my phone while walking around on my real job - but you are correct, I should have caught that. You, however, presumably, are not writing on your phone while walking around since this is (part of) your job. But if your invite is sincere, I might take you up on it. I do write for a living (but not endurance sports-related stuff). Or were those typos and punctuation goofs generated by AI? :slightly_smiling_face:

It was a long artilce that I needed to get up before I took off to head to Nice. Ryan was out of town and while I wasnt on my phone I was packing and making sure all my kids where in bed :slight_smile: Im not a writer by trade but since I feel the need to connect with our community im just trying to do my best here. Thanks for the positive feedback I’ll make sure I do a better job with the edits.

You sure extensions are 31.8mm diameter?