IV for hydration?

I have two back to back road races in the heat coming up - where it’ll be 90+ degrees both days

In the 2 days leading up to the race I drink so much water and electrolytes, it’s basically a job. I’ve also never cramped or ended dehydrated after this 2 days race (when many others do), so I continue doing it

Anyone ever gotten a hydration IV heading up to a big race? For $100, it seems like it could make things simpler for me. If so, do it the day before or 2 days before?

That would certainly fall under antidoping violation, no?

2 Likes
5 Likes

You are totally over thinking this. Why waste $100??

Yes, it would work. No, it’s probably not worth the $100 when you could just drink more water.

As someone who has ended up in the med tent to receive IVs a handful of times after races I can tell you it is infinitely better and easier than just drinking water.

I’d spend the $100 every day and twice on Sundays if that were a non-medically necessary option.

1 Like

It’s not just the water but the large amounts of sodium, magnesium and potassium

I usually start loading up 2 days before the race. Wondering if this is better 2 or 1 day before

1 Like

Yea the hospital IV bags have a concentration of 9000mg/L. There’s a reason it helps so well.

I spoke with Dr. Alex H a couple years ago and he said a few hours before is all that’s really necessary. Unnecessary to start days before. And 750mg/L is ideal concentration to maximize normal hydration outside of sport. At least that’s what I remember.

I’ve done some vitamin IVs. Vitamin b, c and magnesium. First time I had it, it was because I simply didn’t recover after a sinusitis surgery for weeks. Either it was coincidence but 2 days later I started to feel a lot better. 2nd time I had it now didn’t notice a big effect (because I wasn’t dragging my ass around all day before doing it) but still felt like it gave me a little boost. Big part of it could be the hydration that comes along with it (I drink a lot though usually). In the end not sure with IVs but probably gonna get one again when Winter starts.

Even if it were legal, I would never trust one of these “wellness” shops in a strip mall to give me an IV.

I think when you’re considering proactively hooking yourself up to an IV bag before participating, maybe the sport has gotten away from you.

6 Likes

Have you ever gotten an iv when hungover or recovering from being sick? I see the trucks all the time and have never found them to be shady

For ~$100 they come to your house, you go into the truck and you come out feeling better

I’m surprised this isn’t more common

Hahaha. Ive been really, really hung over, but never required an IV. I’ve also never seen that service, but maybe it’s not a thing in Canada.

I don’t know, but it just doesn’t feel ok to me. Doesn’t seem like a huge step from having a truck come and cycling some units of blood out and simply adding more red blood cells.

I know it’s not the same, but when your sport starts to routinely involve needles (other than treating underlying illness), it’s starting to enter a very grey area…IMO.

its actually not grey area its prohibited doping unless there is a a valid medical reason.
i think the limit for an iv is 75ml , dont quote me on that , but over the legal amount you are violating anti doping and if cought you get a doping violation ban . probably only 6 month if you are an amateur but non the less.

4 Likes

Wow, I had no idea…but makes total sense.

I didn’t know that at all. Thanks for reiterating.

I’m going to delete thread and won’t do going forward.

I’ve done some IV treatments, but never right before a big race. So I can’t speak specifically to your exact questions. However, having done IV treatments before I can say that I did notice an increase in perceived energy when going out for my daily run.

When I was a junior in college my roommate was a phlebotomist for the Summer. He took his very short training course and then got to stickin’ that Summer working locally.

The qualifications are not all that involved so strip mall vs “other” might be a crap shoot.

My GP offers all sorts of IVs suppose to give all different results

I have never even thought about getting one

I think they cost around $150 for one

Moot point since it’s an anti-doping violation. About a decade ago, I remember some race expos having vendor booths selling IVs and this creating a stir.

I can see the value in recovery after a race (sadly from trips to the med tent…back before it was banned). It’s a lot faster than rehydrating orally.

Pre-race, you have lots of time; so regular hydration should be just as good (and pedialite is a lot cheaper than a $100 IV).