Is imigration issues really causing a major increase in the US population?

Cant seem to find the data in a google.

But I see people hear blaming it for so much, the latest is the housing crisis, granted some said we needed more to drive down the cost of construction, but lets ignore that comment.

So is this “mass” imigration to the US comments supported with data?

Yes

IMG_1422.jpeg

What are you Googling? It’s not difficult to find numbers on how much of the population is foreign born, or how many non-citizen residents are in the U.S.

But I see people hear blaming it for so much, the latest is the housing crisis, granted some said we needed more to drive down the cost of construction, but lets ignore that comment.

No.

Population growth over the 12-month period from July 1, 2020 through July 1, 2021 stood at unprecedented low of just 0.12%. This is the lowest annual growth since the Bureau began collecting such statistics in 1900

*** “net international migration of just 244,622 in 2020-21—down from an already low 477,000 in 2019-20 and from over 1 million per year in the middle of the 2010s decade.”***

In Canada yes, 40 to 41 million in matter of months largely due to immigration. In the USA no.

TriDave

The US is not experiencing a “major” increase in population. But, the increase in population (relatively small, on a % basis, compared to US history) is heavily due to immigration.

In Canada yes, 40 to 41 million in matter of months largely due to immigration. In the USA no.

TriDave

Yeah, our population growth is staggering especially when you compare it to our low birth rate.

TriDave

Yeah, our population growth is staggering especially when you compare it to our low birth rate.

It is pretty staggering. Long term it could be good for Canada but short term it will hard to digest such a spike in population.

TriDave

It is pretty staggering. Long term it could be good for Canada but short term it will hard to digest such a spike in population.

It’s hard to see any long term positives when we are so woefully unprepared for the short term impact.

For every one housing unit we are building we are importing 7 people.

As I mentioned in another thread, 20% of our province doesn’t have access to primary healthcare. Doctors are leaving in droves and our healthcare system is in complete collapse. I’m not sure adding the equivalent of a small city’s worth of people to our province every year is going to help this situation.

I live in our provincial capital. We have built one school in the last decade, and it was at capacity as soon as the doors opened. The area it is in has built over 1000 homes since then. We haven’t built a hospital since 1987 (though we did expand one in 2015… Again, it has been operating at over 100% capacity since the expanded wing opened). It seems like all we are building is rental towers upon rental towers and no other amenities. I swear it’s easier to get tickets to Taylor Swift’s era tour than to enroll your kid in swimming lessons here.

I know quite a few young professionals who have left Canada in the last 3 years. Doctors, teachers, people in tech, tradespeople etc. The difference in optimism for our future from even ten years ago to now is completely different.

I’m really not sure how we turn this ship around, and if mass immigration is going to help. Most of the people we are bringing in aren’t earning enough to pay significant tax contributions. It seems as though we are just flooding the market with minimum wage workers.

TriDave

In reference to your choice of words, under what circumstances do you think it ‘could’ be good and conversely when could it not be good?

I always seem to hear talk on why we need immigration to pay for the retirees of the future but it seems like a bit of a ponzi scheme where we just have to keep expanding. It simply is not sustainable. I’ve not seen any discussion about how economies can be managed in a decreasing population scenario.

The number you’re looking for is 42MM or 21MM or thereabouts depending on if you want naturalized or total

If you are a podcast listener, Freakonomics just did a fascinating three part series on immigration. It gets into the convoluted policies, process and discusses population changes in US and Canada

TriDave

In reference to your choice of words, under what circumstances do you think it ‘could’ be good and conversely when could it not be good?

I always seem to hear talk on why we need immigration to pay for the retirees of the future but it seems like a bit of a ponzi scheme where we just have to keep expanding. It simply is not sustainable. I’ve not seen any discussion about how economies can be managed in a decreasing population scenario.

The macro benefits of immigration are well documented. You mentioned one, paying for retirees. This is especially true currently in much of the west as boomers age out of the workforce. Immigrants grow the overall economy and are net neutral cost wise. 2nd generation are usually high contributors to the tax base.

Immigrants fill the gaps in the labor market but not just in low wage, low skill, jobs. 44% of medical scientists are foreign born as are 42% of software developers. Immigrant workers are also overrepresented among college professors, engineers, mathematicians, nurses, doctors and dentists.

Despite all that the issues facing B.C. are extreme and the result of years of multi-layered immigration. Rich immigrants drove up housing prices. Poor immigrants consumed services. Economists will be studying it for decades to come.

TriDave

The macro benefits of immigration are well documented. You mentioned one, paying for retirees. This is especially true currently in much of the west as boomers age out of the workforce. Immigrants grow the overall economy and are net neutral cost wise. 2nd generation are usually high contributors to the tax base.

Immigrants fill the gaps in the labor market but not just in low wage, low skill, jobs. 44% of medical scientists are foreign born as are 42% of software developers. Immigrant workers are also overrepresented among college professors, engineers, mathematicians, nurses, doctors and dentists.

Despite all that the issues facing B.C. are extreme and the result of years of multi-layered immigration. Rich immigrants drove up housing prices. Poor immigrants consumed services. Economists will be studying it for decades to come.

Mostly agree,

To the point of foreign ownership driving house prices, statistically there is no merit (at least in BC):

https://www.greaterfool.ca/2021/04/27/the-haters-2/

Maurice

TriDave

Mostly agree,

To the point of foreign ownership driving house prices, statistically there is no merit (at least in BC):

https://www.greaterfool.ca/2021/04/27/the-haters-2/

Maurice

Thanks, that is an interesting link. Those numbers are a bit misleading as foreign-born immigrants with resident status in Canada are not included. There is also the covid affect on the most recent numbers. In 2017 5% of Vancouver properties were foreign owned.

Regardless, the numbers are much lower than I expected.

No matter how you look at it, USA is in the highest immigration wave in history: raw numbers (per year ~1.6 million, total immigrants: 45 million, and percent foreign-born). All of these are at all time highs… higher than even during the huge waves of the 1800s and 1900s.

If US voters think only racists and fascists enforce immigration law, US voters will elect only racist racists. The democrats are screwing this up royally.

https://cis.org/Report/October-2023-ForeignBorn-Share-Was-Highest-History

In October 2023, the CPS shows that 15 percent of the U.S. population is now foreign-born — higher than any U.S. government survey or census has ever recorded.

The 49.5 million foreign-born residents (legal and illegal) in October 2023 is also a new record high.
Since President Biden took office in January 2021, the foreign-born population has grown by 4.5 million — larger than the individual populations of 25 U.S. states.

Based on our prior estimates of illegal immigrants, more than half (2.5 million) of the 4.5 million increase in the foreign-born population since January 2021 is likely due to illegal immigration. If adjusted for those missed by the survey, the increase would be larger.
The 4.5 million increase overall and the 2.5 million increase in illegal immigrants are both net figures. The number of new arrivals was significantly higher, but was offset by outmigration and natural mortality among the foreign-born already here.

The foreign-born population has grown on average by 137,000 a month since President Biden took office, compared to 42,000 a month during Trump’s presidency before Covid-19 hit, and 68,000 a month during President Obama’s two terms.

You are posting lies from a hate group know for promoting lies.

Center for Immigration Studies | Southern Poverty Law Center (splcenter.org)

The most obvious lie in your post is that the foreign born population grew by 4.5 million. 2018 foreign born population in the US was 44.8 million. The foreign born population in the U.S. was 49.5 million in October 2023. That is a growth of 700,000 not 4.5 million.

If you are a podcast listener, Freakonomics just did a fascinating three part series on immigration. It gets into the convoluted policies, process and discusses population changes in US and Canada

Oh I’ll have to look for that, sounds interesting.

Okay, so what i am reading here, no US population not on some massive surge do to immigration. Yes, with the decrease of kids (AKA anyone younger than 40) having kids, the small growth is being maintained through Immigration, which is a good thing, as a decreasing population, leads to all kinds of trouble.

Canada, WOW that sounds scary and as mentioned unsustainable, I am curious why the massive influx. I mean your literally in the same boat as the US, (well a bit better as you only have 1 land boarder deal with, and I don’t think you have to many migrating from the US. Did your government just open up more of Europe and Asia’s displaced populations? I would think, construction should be booming there? Is the govt not providing funding to infrastructure to help support all the new people.

Anyhow, back to the US, so we have minor population growth, yet people want to blame the housing crisis on all the new people, that doesn’t seem to make sense on the surface.

The most obvious lie in your post is that the foreign born population grew by 4.5 million. 2018 foreign born population in the US was 44.8 million. The foreign born population in the U.S. was 49.5 million in October 2023. That is a growth of 700,000 not 4.5 million.

You might want to check your math on that.

49.5-44.8= 4.7 (diif from 4.5 due to rounding id guess)… where is the lie? The numbers are not wrong.