Is anyone making relatively affordable tri frames these days?

Toying around with a possible new bike build but want to start with just a disc brake frame. In searching around it doesn’t look like there are too many affordable frames out there and I’d probably have to go used.

Am I missing anything?

Have you considered looking for any of the P series prior to August of 2024? I know they just updated the frame but you can possibly find full bikes at a reasonable price. I know they were selling for around 3500 full bike.

I probably should have said this, but the idea is to just get a frame and use parts I already have.

The Cervelo P series did have a frameset originally-pretty sure.

When considering the same idea I saw a few deals on unbuilt argon frames scattered around the web. Finding a disc triathlon frame in one exact size is not easy. I think we are a few years from that being easier. If you look at rim brake frames it becomes a lot easier.

Yeah, I’ve got a friend who just got one and is building it up. Sold his S-Works Shiv Tri and went to this because he doesn’t race enough to justify it

What’s your benchmark for ”affordable?” Ventum? Felt? QR?

I don’t think anyone makes a $2,000 USD frameset.

Yeah, I’ve seen that in searching. Actually found one on a decent discount, I think $1,700. That’s right up my alley!

I actually saw the same thing today. I wouldn’t mind riding an Argon! I’ve already got a rim brake and one that was known for not having great brakes, lol. Also had it for 10 years at this point. Thinking of getting back in the game after 5 years away and a new bike my help make it easier!

Honestly, I know this is crazy, but around $2,000. I thought QR was affordable until I went to the site and saw their frameset prices! I think used will end up being the route I have to go down.

If for any reason you are really wanting a Cervelo…I’ve seen some Cervelo dealers willing to sell the P series original design for $2700, same as it would cost as a frame set…I ended up buying one, stripped it and building it up with my components now…and it’s this years current version with front brake cable routing through the fork…

1 Like

Wow I have not been able to find prices that low

And have been searching

You would need to find an LBS probably…the best I found online was $3,000 for the 105 version P series…

I got mine from a Cervelo dealer in the DFW area

1 Like

I was away for 10 years due to a knee injury and life. Almost exactly a year ago, I realized good health is one of the most valuable things in the world. I’m fighting to regain my health and live way longer.

Modern disc brake bikes with wide tires and electronic shifting are just amazing. I’m way more comfortable now and know by this time next year I will be faster on a bike than ever before.

Do not ask how much I’ve spent on bikes this year. Tomorrow may be new bike day again weather permitting.

@retro bowl
It’s true that disc brake frames, especially affordable ones, can be harder to come by. While most budget options may require looking into used frames, you could also check out brands like Surly, Soma, or All-City that offer affordable new frames with disc brakes. If you’re open to gravel bike or adventure bike frames, they tend to feature disc brakes more often, and secondhand markets can be a good source for deals. Keep an eye on online marketplaces, bike forums, or frame-specific sales pages, as deals pop up occasionally for good-quality used frames.

That is still a good deal! With 12 speed or 11 speed? I’d consider buying it and replacing the bars and extensions and you got a sweet ride for 3500-4k!

It came 11-speed…but buying like that you get some decent vision t30 training wheels…

I too would be looking for a Cervelo P-Series, maybe a used one, selling the groupset and building on top of it. Alternatively, the cheapest Canyon Speedmax CF would do.

Just go used and you will find plenty of good bikes barely ridden that are like new. Unless one’s swim and run are pointy end, the incremental value over a decent used bike in race performance is almost negligible (if one is going to leak away a ton of time in either swim or run making the time savings from a better bike inconsequential).

I hope to post my trek speed concept 2 soon. It’s a sweet ride. I also have a set of Hed 40/60 and a set of 60/90 black rim brake sets to go with it if someone doesn’t want the flo 30s I’ll post it with. However, I’ve got a lot going on and not sure when I’ll take pics