Is all protein the same?

I’m getting older. When I run hard, sometimes I feel like my legs lack the power they once did. I was told recently I need to eat more protein. This makes sense. The easiest way for me to do this would be to have another protein shake. This might be a stupid question, but would it make a difference if I got more protein from a meat source, or from a protein shake?

Peter Attia just did a very in-depth podcast about this topic. It’s worth a listen.

299 ‒ Optimizing muscle protein synthesis: the crucial impact of protein quality and quantity, and the key role of resistance training | Luc van Loon, Ph.D.

If your shake is made with whey protein it will provide all the necessary amino acids you require without the substantial quantities of saturated fat a steak or hamburger would deliver. Spend a few days tracking your protein consumption to get a feel for how much you’re currently consuming. Shooting for somewhere between 1.2 and 1.6 grams per kilogram of body weight would be a reasonable goal.

YMMV

Hugh

If your shake is made with whey protein it will provide all the necessary amino acids you require without the substantial quantities of saturated fat a steak or hamburger would deliver. Spend a few days tracking your protein consumption to get a feel for how much you’re currently consuming. Shooting for somewhere between 1.2 and 1.6 grams per kilogram of body weight would be a reasonable goal.

YMMV

Hugh

The saturated fats of these red meats increase testosterone levels, making the protein more usable

I’m getting older. When I run hard, sometimes I feel like my legs lack the power they once did. I was told recently I need to eat more protein. This makes sense. The easiest way for me to do this would be to have another protein shake. This might be a stupid question, but would it make a difference if I got more protein from a meat source, or from a protein shake?

I’m an all of the above guy on protein.

Take the protein shake which is most likely whey. Other days add some collagen peptides to your greek yogurt or oatmeal. Other days chicken. Other days steak, Other days fish. Other days beans. Etc.

YMMV

Hugh

The saturated fats of these red meats increase testosterone levels, making the protein more usable

At best, regarding saturated fat, it’s a maybe.

Good fat and bad fat meals had 8g of saturated fat.
“In conclusion, it appears that proteins, particularly egg white protein, may be beneficial in enhancing serum testosterone levels, with this effect observed within 4 to 5 h after meal consumption. Conversely, both MUFA “good fat” and PUFA “bad fat” had a similar negative impact on post-prandial testosterone levels over a 5 h period.”
The Effect of Macronutrients on Reproductive Hormones in Overweight and Obese Men: A Pilot Study - PMC (nih.gov)

From another study on longer term testosterone levels:

“Although studies have investigated the link between the type of dietary fat consumption, namely PUFA, monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), saturated fatty acids (SFA) consumption, and androgen levels, the findings are contradictory.”
“After adjusting for age, calorie intake, and examination year, among 2,546 males, increased SFA consumption was related to elevated serological SHBG concentrations, free and total testosterone levels, and increased PUFA consumption with lower levels. However, the relationships were weakened and non-significant after adjusting for other potentially confounding factors.”
“Higher SFA intake was also related to lower educational attainment and physical activity.”
“Overall, the study findings showed no independent associations between dietary fats and serological androgen concentrations among middle-aged males.”