Irresponsible COVID (non-)management at the Olympics

Unbelievable. No testing, no protocols for positive test results (if the teams actually do testing).

Noah Lyles reveals he tested positive two days before the 200m final, meaning he was racing the heats and semi-final while COVID positive.

USA Women’s Boxer, Jennifer Lozano tested positive for COVID 2 days before her fight and competed anyways. “We thought by the day of my fight I would be better but symptoms got worse as my body warmed up before and during my fight.”

Yeah, you might feel better, but what about the boxer whose face is inches from yours while both of you are breathing heavily?

it’s tough. i don’t think we want (or need) full-gas protocols like at tokyo. but you’d be pretty damned pissed off if someone knowingly exposed you to covid while you’re at the olympics. some of these athletes might still have other events left to compete in (or just not want to get covid)!

At least 40 athletes have tested positive for the coronavirus and other respiratory illnesses, suggesting that the virus may not exhibit the same seasonal patterns as the common cold, flu and respiratory syncytial virus — widely known as RSV — which tend to strike during cold-weather months.

https://wapo.st/4chjnN5

Hey, the thread you started before is here:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Testing_the_water_at_the_Olympics%2C_but_not_the_air_P8168479/?page=unread#unread

Just clicked on “Next” at the bottom and it’s right there on page 2 of the forum.

Covid, flu, cold or whatever - there’ll always be something.

Also, these’re the fittest people in the world.

Are the people working in the Olympic cafeterias the fittest in the world? How about the people working in the waiting rooms in the various venues? How about the judges in the boxing/wrestling arenas?

The ignorance of thinking that COVID is “just like the flu, cold or whatever” is astounding.

Are the people working in the Olympic cafeterias the fittest in the world? How about the people working in the waiting rooms in the various venues? How about the judges in the boxing/wrestling arenas?

The ignorance of thinking that COVID is “just like the flu, cold or whatever” is astounding.

I’m in full agreement with the science-medical institutions about COVID, but we do have to update our knowledge with the reality that COVID has evolved from a more lethal/less infectious strain, to a less lethal/more infectious strain.

I do think maintaining full-blown panic about COVID as in the early days, is the wrong way to go today. (But I do think it was absolutely the right move in the beginning, with so little info, and the more lethal strain that was killing lots of older people.)

Here we go again pretending that IOC cares about the athletes. Maintain the spectacle at all costs; that’s how the Seine was magically clean enough for all the Tri/OWS events to go forward, etc.

For athletes it’s pretty clear that it’s on them to protect themselves. I’m surprised more aren’t masking/isolating to minimize the risk of getting sick right before the most important competition of their career. At this point going to the Olympic Village cafeteria is just a stupid/unnecessary risk.

That’s SOOO 2021.

there’s a 1000 other illnesses they could have, yet you’re not asking to address those too.

The reality is it’s here to stay for 1000 years, and we’ve got to suck it up…just 1 more illness amongst thousands.
Why not test for TB? or ebola ?

At least in the race they’re in open air.
And it’s more spread in the days BEFORE getting symptoms, if you’ve forgotten.

I got it again from a rock gig a few weeks ago, FFS. There will literally be HUNDREDS with covid in the stands watching at each session, knowingly or unknowingly.

Now anyone completely stupid enough to not get any vaccinations… well, that’s gonna be Darwinism in action.

I don’t know what is funnier, that Ken still claims to “follow their science” while ignoring the scientific reality or that he thinks masks work. Hey Ken, stay six feet away while you’re at it. LOL.

Neither 200-meter gold medalist Letsile Tebogo of Botswana nor American silver medalist Kenny Bednarek expressed concern that Lyles had placed them at risk, a broad reflection of society’s solidifying approach to covid.

“I don’t care,” Bednarek said. “I mean, If I get sick or whatever, like, I’ll be fine. If he gets sick, if it’s a cold or … I don’t view those things as a big deal. I’m healthy. I do everything I can to make sure my body’s healthy. So it doesn’t really bother me at all.”

After his positive test Tuesday at 5 a.m., Lyles moved out of the Athletes Village and into a hotel to isolate himself. He said he worked with USA Track & Field’s medical staff to follow medical protocols, taking “as much medication as we legally could” and receiving Paxlovid treatments.

The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee follows guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Earlier this year, the CDC rolled back much of its guidance, no longer asking Americans to stay home for five days after testing positive. On its website, the CDC recommends staying away from others until 24 hours after covid symptoms end.

According to a statement from the USOPC and USA Track & Field, the organization “swiftly enacted all necessary protocols to prioritize his health, the well-being of our team, and the safety of fellow competitors.”

Astounding to follow CDC guidance.

Until a world class athlete gets a heart arrhythmia

My understanding is that the flu now has a higher fatality rate per infection than Covid (though Covid appears more infectious). Covid caused 49,000 deaths in '23, barely edging out the flu and pneumonia, which caused 45,000.

Personally I’m thankful that Covid has become so much less dangerous than it was initially. I’m glad we have better treatments for people who are seriously affected. And I’m also thankful that the people who would prefer to continue with mask mandates, test mandates, school closures and school infection protocols, isolation guidelines and so on and so forth have lost control.

For athletes it’s pretty clear that it’s on them to protect themselves. I’m surprised more aren’t masking/isolating to minimize the risk of getting sick right before the most important competition of their career. At this point going to the Olympic Village cafeteria is just a stupid/unnecessary risk.
Agree. I would be critical if it was reported that the IOC or the national federations discouraged athletes, coaches, etc. from wearing masks while in Paris.

Lyles did his usual shtick coming onto the track today for the final but there was a shot of him in the blocks that indicated to me that he was worried about not being 100 percent.

And I’m also thankful that the people who would prefer to continue with mask mandates, test mandates, school closures and school infection protocols, isolation guidelines and so on and so forth have lost control.
Do any of these people actually exist anymore?

Neither 200-meter gold medalist Letsile Tebogo of Botswana nor American silver medalist Kenny Bednarek expressed concern that Lyles had placed them at risk, a broad reflection of society’s solidifying approach to covid.

“I don’t care,” Bednarek said. “I mean, If I get sick or whatever, like, I’ll be fine. If he gets sick, if it’s a cold or … I don’t view those things as a big deal. I’m healthy. I do everything I can to make sure my body’s healthy. So it doesn’t really bother me at all.”

After his positive test Tuesday at 5 a.m., Lyles moved out of the Athletes Village and into a hotel to isolate himself. He said he worked with USA Track & Field’s medical staff to follow medical protocols, taking “as much medication as we legally could” and receiving Paxlovid treatments.

The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee follows guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Earlier this year, the CDC rolled back much of its guidance, no longer asking Americans to stay home for five days after testing positive. On its website, the CDC recommends staying away from others until 24 hours after covid symptoms end.

According to a statement from the USOPC and USA Track & Field, the organization “swiftly enacted all necessary protocols to prioritize his health, the well-being of our team, and the safety of fellow competitors.”

Yeah, no big deal. https://www.the-sun.com/sport/12149880/olympics-paris-medalist-malaika-mihambo-collapses/

Yeah, no big deal. https://www.the-sun.com/sport/12149880/olympics-paris-medalist-malaika-mihambo-collapses/

Follow the science and data… the science and data that says healthy, young, (world class) athletes with no morbidities have a mortality rate that is close to zero! But yeah, let’s panic and overreact again. 🤦‍♂️

Here we go again pretending that IOC cares about the athletes. Maintain the spectacle at all costs; that’s how the Seine was magically clean enough for all the Tri/OWS events to go forward, etc.

It has got nothing to do with IOC, it is French regulations that they are following.

There are no restrictions here and it is not necessary to be tested. A test cannot be demanded either. There are recommendations but like the whole of Europe France follows the recommendations of WHO.

Unbelievable. No testing, no protocols for positive test results (if the teams actually do testing).

Noah Lyles reveals he tested positive two days before the 200m final, meaning he was racing the heats and semi-final while COVID positive.

USA Women’s Boxer, Jennifer Lozano tested positive for COVID 2 days before her fight and competed anyways. “We thought by the day of my fight I would be better but symptoms got worse as my body warmed up before and during my fight.”

Yeah, you might feel better, but what about the boxer whose face is inches from yours while both of you are breathing heavily?

Disclaimer: MD, COVID lead for my hospital, on the National Taskforce for Evidence Based COVID management in my country

I was going to say its a tough one, but in reality the IOC and countries etc are following what many countries etc are now doing with COVID, that it treating it like it is just another respiratory virus. Our management and acceptance of COVID has evolved dramatically since 2020. Where I live there is no mandate to stay at home and isolate if you have COVID, no requirement to wear a mask in public if you have COVID. I have restrictions on working in healthcare if I have COVID, but otherwise people are just going about their daily lives as per usual.

The athletes can be competing against and surrounded by people who have a wide range of respiratory viruses these days, COVID being just one of them. When the restrictions on the general public have essentially been lifted if they have COVID then it’s hard to impose these policies on the athletes themselves.

I completely see your point, but I also see why they are just getting on with life and competing.