IRONMAN World Championship - Nice Course Preview

Originally published at: IRONMAN World Championship – Nice Course Preview - Slowtwitch News

The 2024 women’s IRONMAN World Championship in Nice, France is in less than two weeks, and the hype around which female pro will find success in the Alpes-Maritimes is buzzing all over the triathlon world. 

From the azure waters of the Mediterranean Sea to the breathtaking mountains surrounding Nice to the electric energy of the Promenade, the women’s IRONMAN World Championship on September 22 is sure to bring the heat, literally and figuratively.

As many are still getting used to the swim, bike, and run courses of the Nice IM World Championship given its newly minted status as a rotating World Champs location, we asked former professional triathlete and consistent top-10 female pro IRONMAN finisher Renee Kiley to break down each part of the race for us, as well as touch on her recent retirement.

“I just don’t want to do this anymore”

Many know Kiley’s inspiring story of using triathlon as a way to quit smoking, lose weight, and pursue an entirely different life in her 30s. The Aussie went on to have a strong professional career, qualifying for two IRONMAN World Championships and moving up the competitive ranks since 2019.

Last month, though, Kiley decided to leave racing as a professional to pursue the next chapter of her life.

“I started the year with big goals, but I have found it impossible to push myself and my body to the required level not because of my physical state, but because of my headspace and external stressors,” Kiley says. “I was at an altitude camp in July and finished a hard swim workout and said, ‘I just don’t want to do this anymore,’ and that was that.”

Kiley, who had relocated to Europe earlier this year from Australia to be closer to her significant other, says she felt “sad but also relieved” at her decision to step away from professional triathlon.

“It’s time for something new,” Kiley says. “Triathlon saved my life and I’m still an obsessed fan and student of the sport. I am very excited to be in Nice to watch the race and to start my coaching business next month.”

The Aussie spent 10 days in Nice in April to do some course recon as at the time she was still all-in on aiming to qualify for the IRONMAN World Championship this year. 

She says there are endless accommodations, tons of restaurant and food options, stunning beaches and overall, “a great vibe.”

“I think it’s one of the best locations in the world for a championship race in terms of overall convenience and ease of access to facilities,” Kiley says.

Having trained there for a chunk of time, Kiley breaks down the swim, bike, and run portions of the race based on her experience in Nice this spring.

Swim

The swim, which from the perspective of standing on the beach, is a unique “W” shape, requiring athletes to make multiple turns throughout the swim course. 

Kiley says that the swim is similar to Kona in terms of “clean, clear” waters and high salt concentration. Be ready to take a swig of hydration as soon as you get on the bike as you’ll likely need it after, for many, more than an hour in the ocean.

The pros will likely have a non-wetsuit swim, but age groupers could, too, however, don’t expect the waters to be quite as warm in Nice as they are in Kona.

“Overall, I feel the swim is quite straightforward,” Kiley says.

Bike

Perhaps because it is the longest leg of an Ironman, or perhaps because there are so many variables that can affect it, the bike course of any IRONMAN World Championship is seemingly always the subject of much discourse. 

In Kona, folks love to talk about the high winds, the scorching heat of the lava fields, and the famous descent from Hāwī. 

Now, in Nice, much of the focus is on the quad-busting ascent that begins just a handful of miles into the bike, followed by the screaming descent in the final 30 miles. 

With nearly 8,000 feet of climbing, the narrow mountain roads and switchbacks of Nice will provide a challenge for both pros and amateur athletes alike.

Kiley provides a dose of reality for those who feel uneasy:

“The bike course is not ‘bad’ or ‘scary,’ at all,” she says. “In fact, it’s an incredibly beautiful course, but it’s definitely one of the most challenging bike courses I’ve ever ridden.”

Kiley notes that what makes the Nice bike course so challenging is the initial, main climb is quite long, but there is little reprieve once athletes reach the plateau of the climb – sections of dedicated time trialing with the potential for wind gusts greet athletes at the top. 

Kiley notes that the main climb at a moderate aerobic pace took her just over 60 minutes to complete, is about 18-kilometers (or 11 miles) long with a gradient of 5% and has 900 meters (~3,000 feet) of elevation gain.

Between the initial climb and the long, flat-ish sections at the top of the climb, athletes should be ready to be pedaling with few breaks for multiple hours.

Once athletes begin the descent at about mile 70, Kiley says it is time to be entirely focused and thoughtful as you ride. 

“The descent is long, but it is not super technical or steep – however, it requires complete concentration and some caution,” Kiley says.

Kiley notes that the road surface on the descent isn’t ideal in some spots, with speed bumps, embedded grates and road covers, and a few potholes to be aware of.

And, Kiley says, while the switchbacks on the descent tend to get a lot of attention as they can be daunting, they are not many of them – but for the ones that exist, riders who are less confident in their bike skills should take the corners cautiously. 

“In total, I think it’s about 30-40 minutes of mostly downhill before you do the last flat time trial section back into town,” Kiley says. “This course is definitely made for a ‘strong’ athlete. Start conservatively and build into the ride on race day. It will be a long and difficult day if you start too hard.”

Run

After a mountainous bike course, athletes will begin the looped run on the flat Promenade in Nice. 

But, Kiley cautions, don’t underestimate the difficulty of this flat run course. 

“You must create your own momentum and speed all the time with no rest or reprieve for the legs,” Kiley says. “That will be especially difficult after such a challenging bike.”

In addition, as Kiley and others have noted, the Promenade has no shade and little breeze. Nice can be quite hot and humid, meaning that managing hydration and body temperature will be key.

“The great thing about this course is that it’s by the ocean and the crowd support will be awesome,” Kiley says. “Spectators, family, and friends can access practically the whole run course.”

Kiley’s Podium Predictions

Of course, while we have a recently retired professional who is willing to chat, we have to get her podium predictions, too. 

“I think the race will favor a really strong cyclist and runner,” Kylie says. “It’s hard for me not to choose Lucy [Charles-Barclay], Anne [Haug], and Laura [Philipp] for the podium.”

Kiley notes that Kat Matthews may also have a shot at the podium, but that Kiley has a few doubts about Matthews’ ability to be at her best with an ocean swim and the potential for hot, humid weather.

“[Matthews] is clearly in amazing shape, though, and will probably prove me wrong,” Kiley adds.

As for dark horse picks, Kiley thinks that the following women may not podium, but will put up strong performances that may shock more than a few:

• Danielle Lewis
  • Nikki Bartlett
  • Alice Alberts
  • Ruth Astle

“All four of those women will be starting the bike with a significant deficit out of the water, but they are all very strong cyclists who are used to closing down big gaps and getting to the front of the race,” Kiley says. “They are all super strong runners and have shown excellent form this year.”

Is Kona Still King?

Absolutely not, Kiley says.

“We are perhaps the only sport that has our world championship race in the same place every year,” Kiley notes. “It’s a fact that a particular physiology and type of athlete is suited to the Kona conditions and that doesn’t make the race exciting, in my opinion.”

Kiley proposes that the IM World Championship location continues to rotate, with Kona being on the docket every few years. In her ideal world, Kiley would like to see men and women race together on the same weekend, with one race as an age group-only race and one as a pro-only race. 

“I know it’s a logistical nightmare with volunteers, but I would love to see that two-day format,” Kiley says. “That would also make it possible for age groupers to watch more of the pro race in real time and cheer on their favorite pros.”

A Parting Thought

Kiley, who has raced at the IM World Championship in Kona as both an age grouper and as a pro, offers some words of advice to the women heading to Nice this year.

“It sounds cliché, but my advice would be to let go of any expectations and enjoy the experience,” Kiley says. “Go to the pre-race activities and functions. Get out and enjoy Nice. A relaxed and happy athlete always gets the best out of themselves on race day. Worry, nerves and anxiety are a waste of energy!”

1 Like