Ironman UK announcement

details released tomorrow morning (12/09/24)

Hoping it’s a new full?
Anyone aware of any rumours? Seen Scotland mentioned a few times

Apparently it’s Leeds, not sure on the distance

Any idea what time of year?

After Swansea in mid July - before Weymouth in early September.

someone just sent me this…

1 Like

No surprises in the announcement but no course details yet unfortunately.

https://www.ironman.com/im-leeds

ps yes it’s a full distance :+1:

Roundhay Park’s lake is going to be boiling with 2000 swimmers doing two laps of it!!
27 July “Roundhay Park will be the hub of the race starting with the 2.4-mile (3.8km) lake swim . From here the race extends into on the stunning Yorkshire Dales National Park for the 112 mile (180km) bike, before the 26.2-mile (42.2km) run on multi-lap course around Roundhay Park and scenic surrounding areas.”
Like this:

Also same date is the Outlaw - deliberate or coincidence?

Knowing what Ironman are like, probably deliberate.

But could also be stupidity… Surely that just unecesarily harms both events? I mean ok not many competitors would do both in close proximity, but it means clubs/families etc won’t be able to spread and share entries/support across both events.

Outlaw is such a staple on the UK calendar and has had that date in July for at least the last decade it’s not like they won’t have been very conscious of it!

27th July is the first weekend of the school holidays in England/UK too, so can’t help but feel they are hamstringing themselves with the choice of date. I would ordinarily have done the race, but it is now looking unlikely with the holidays.

Given the lack of quality full distance events in the UK, having Leeds on the same date as the Outlaw is a real kick in the teeth. Outlaw numbers are down by almost 50% on pre-pandemic levels and the bike route has a few bits that are not up to scratch for the event, but I’d rather do that than 2 crammed laps of roundhay and another hilly Ironman UK bike route.

Was weymouth ever a full?

Challenge Weymouth was a full for just one(?) year I think - it moved from its previous location in Henley - but once Ironman took it over they turned it into a half. I’m doing Weymouth for the 4th time on Sunday so I must rate the event.

I was supposed to be doing Weymouth but the Mrs has to go to hospital on the Monday so now I’ve had to drop out. Bloody nightmare.

I agree on the timing issue though @Birdy seems to be an issue across a lot of UK tris though, even in the xtri world with several events previously occupying the same day/weekend, or within a week of each other.

For Leeds I imagine they are trying to avoid clashing with Challenge London more than Outlaw, they probably didn’t even consider Outlaw.

If it was in Scotland I would be there: Ironman Loch Ness!