Ironman record, 60+M?

Asking for a friend.

-bobo

I don’t think this can be meaningfully measured.

On the one hand…
IM Sacramento - had a downstream swim that amateurs (without swimming backgrounds) were doing in 36 minutes.

One the other…
IM Kona sometimes has 35 mile winds headwinds and not all 60+ men draft.

I don’t think this can be meaningfully measured.

On the one hand…
IM Sacramento - had a downstream swim that amateurs (without swimming backgrounds) were doing in 36 minutes.

One the other…
IM Kona sometimes has 35 mile winds headwinds and not all 60+ men draft.

If I ask the question, what’s the fastest a 60+ male has ever run in a marathon, I just want to know that number. I don’t want to hear that it can’t “be meaningfully measured” since a marathon in Antarctica is below freezing, a marathon in SE Asia is hot and humid as fk, a marathon in the Alps is hilly as fk. I just want to know the number … just saying :wink:

**If I ask the question, what’s the fastest a 60+ male has ever run in a marathon, I just want to know that number. I don’t want to hear that it can’t “be meaningfully measured” since a marathon in Antarctica is below freezing, a marathon in SE Asia is hot and humid as fk, a marathon in the Alps is hilly as fk. I just want to know the number … just saying :wink: // **

I think that his main point is that the actual “distances” are often short and assisted, unlike a marathon that is “always” 26.2 miles. Forget about the harsh conditions, because the fastest time will not have been done in those, or difficult terrain. They will however be done in a non legitimate short distance race, which there are plenty to choose from from Ironman. The marathon will also be done on a fast course on a good day too, but at least you know you did the distance, so not the same thing…

Given all that, perhaps a best time from Kona, or some other course that has proven out legit over the years as far as correct distance and not all downhill…

Record forM 60+ in marathon and course:

2:30:02 - Tommy Hugheshttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Flag_of_Ireland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland- 8 October 2020 Lisburn, Ireland - Lisburn Festival of Running Marathon

before super shoes :

2:36:30 - Yoshihisa Hosakahttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9e/Flag_of_Japan.svg/23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan - 01 February 2009- Beppu City, Japan-Beppu Marathon

So anyone younger…no excuses :slight_smile:

Don’t know if Joe Bonness has the record but he’s always the example I use when it comes to 60+ IM performances.

**If I ask the question, what’s the fastest a 60+ male has ever run in a marathon, I just want to know that number. I don’t want to hear that it can’t “be meaningfully measured” since a marathon in Antarctica is below freezing, a marathon in SE Asia is hot and humid as fk, a marathon in the Alps is hilly as fk. I just want to know the number … just saying :wink: // **

I think that his main point is that the actual “distances” are often short and assisted, unlike a marathon that is “always” 26.2 miles. Forget about the harsh conditions, because the fastest time will not have been done in those, or difficult terrain. They will however be done in a non legitimate short distance race, which there are plenty to choose from from Ironman. The marathon will also be done on a fast course on a good day too, but at least you know you did the distance, so not the same thing…

Given all that, perhaps a best time from Kona, or some other course that has proven out legit over the years as far as correct distance and not all downhill…

I’m just splitting hair here for the sake of discussion, but the marathon is at least 26.2 miles, not always 26.2 miles. All of the are pretty much over 26.2. How much over is course dependent.

Can we even say that any Ironman course is legitimately 140.6, given the difficulty in accurately measuring swim courses and the fact that the marathon and bike courses don’t go through a rigorous measuring standard certifications?

This brings me back to my original point. If I want to know what’s the fastest that a 60 year old male has ever done at an Ironman, I just want to know that number. I think most people understand that all courses are different in all of the variables that we mentioned.

If I want to know what the fastest recorded speed that a fighter jet has been clocked at, I just want to know that number. I don’t want to hear, well, aircraft x can fly in the outer stratosphere so can we even say that it’s the fastest, given how slow it is at lower altitudes? Or, fighter jet y has a 10 lb maximum ammunition payload, so that shouldn’t even count. It’s worthless in a dog fight :slight_smile:

Why can’t you just give me a number, dammit! This is why no triathlete has ever won anything on Jeopardy :slight_smile:

2:30:02 - Tommy Hugheshttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Flag_of_Ireland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland- 8 October 2020 Lisburn, Ireland - Lisburn Festival of Running Marathon

before super shoes :

2:36:30 - Yoshihisa Hosakahttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9e/Flag_of_Japan.svg/23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan - 01 February 2009- Beppu City, Japan-Beppu Marathon

Do you know the background of those guys? Were they former 1st tier elite marathoners who podiums at majors or just former 2nd/3rd tier elites who were able to fight off father time better than the super elites?

Why can’t you just give me a number, dammit!//

Well I believe they cancelled the swim in NZ one year, and maybe even shortened the bike, so check those times.

If not there, then Ironman Texas one year cut a bunch of miles off the bike and everyone rode in one huge peloton, so that one might be it??

Sure there are a few other possibilities, lots of cancelled swims and such for those huge PR’s everyone likes to brag about now…

I was a competitive swimmer as a kid.

I really enjoyed the whole process of records - personal and otherwise.

This is a major flaw within triathlon and especially Ironman.

-The courses are all different.
-The conditions can be radically different from year to year.
-Some races have massive amounts of drafting.
-Some races have very little

• There are some dopers.
    (I tend to believe the number is massively overestimated in this forum).

-And we are all getting older.

I can’t even figure out what my own personal records are.

To find the “right” answer, for the OP…

Find the race with the shortest course, and the most cheater’s.

That’s where you will find the record holder!!!

A prolific cheater on a super short course!!!

Personally- I can’t be bothered looking that up.

before super shoes :

Do you know the background of those guys? Were they former 1st tier elite marathoners who podiums at majors or just former 2nd/3rd tier elites who were able to fight off father time better than the super elites?

well none of them are late starters, so yes they fought off father time. My hunch is, 1st tier elites already proved themselves and hang up their shoes for hard efforts, and let these guys get some glory

“Everyone on this forum is now dumber for reading those replies…”

When anybody gets within an astronomical unit of a useful answer, let me know.
This is painful.

-bobo

10:34:46.

Not 100% anwering you question, but here is a link, where you can see all M60s mapped into time brackets. Easy overview of which Ironman branded races have M60s in sub10

https://www.coachcox.co.uk/imstats/im/division/m60/sub10/

Asking for a friend.

-bobo

The Kona course record for that AG is 9:46:54 set by Rob Barel in 2017 according to the 2020 Kona media guide but he was 59 when he set it according to the guide. His birthday is in December. I couldn’t find any more current Kona media guides on the IM site.

This seems pretty quick to me, but not sure if fastest ever

2022 IM Italy Emilia Romagna. M 60-64. Jurgen Meurer 9:29:16

before super shoes :

well none of them are late starters, so yes they fought off father time. My hunch is, 1st tier elites already proved themselves and hang up their shoes for hard efforts, and let these guys get some glory

Tommy Hughes is a former Olympian, having competed in the marathon at Barcelona in 1992.

I recall him running 2:30 in 2020. I don’t recall reading anything about him running in supershoes at the time. I wouldn’t be so quick to lump in his performance with those run in supershoes.

Tommy Hughes is a former Olympian, having competed in the marathon at Barcelona in 1992.

I recall him running 2:30 in 2020. I don’t recall reading anything about him running in supershoes at the time. I wouldn’t be so quick to lump in his performance with those run in supershoes.

He ran a 2:13 in 1992 to qualify for the Olympics. He then gave up running and was a big drinker for a while until he got back into running in his 50s. So like a lot of top performers in the older age groups he hasn’t had a lifetime of pounding on the knees and hips. Pictures from that 2020 race show him in a pink pair of Nike Next%.

He and his son also hold the “parent and child” marathon record, finishing in a combined 4:59 at Frankfurt a few years back.

So it looks like it’s between 9:30 and 10:00….which is really pretty impressive. Give or take that means a 65 minute(1:33/100y) swim, a 4:55 (22.8 mph) bike and a 3:30 (8 min/mile) marathon….or something like that….