Ironman Ottawa

What hotels would be best to look at, to be as close as possible to expo/race start etc??
Thx!

Just some quick replies from press conf.

2 loop swim.in Briattania Bay, T1 at Briattania beach

Bike up to Carling ave and down to SJAM Parkway and then 2+ 3/4 loops going all the way to end of rockcliffr Parkway in east and going south on QE Parkway to PRETORIA bridge

T2 downtown near city Hall.

Run two loops of Col By + QE driveway up hill to Experimental farm

Looks like finish line near Chateau Laurier/Parliament Hill

I will post images of maps later but it may already be online now

Priority registration opens this afternoon general reg next week

Kona and Nice slots TBD. They said Aug 3 race date is on transition between qual years so your either doing an IM crammed in before this year’s world’s or you literally have 13-14 months for 2026 world’s

Three year deal for starters

No 70.3 as the focus is selling out other 70.3s in region

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe asked if he can put a relay together and run the marathon haha

Does that mean two different transition locations?

Yes - T1 is on the very western tip of the bike leg, while T2 would be close to Parliament hill/City Hall.

Kona and Nice slots TBD. They said Aug 3 race date is on transition between qual years so your either doing an IM crammed in before this year’s world’s or you literally have 13-14 months for 2026 world’s

So would 2025 race be for men in nice/women in Kona?

Just some quick replies from press conf.

2 loop swim.in Briattania Bay, T1 at Briattania beach

Bike up to Carling ave and down to SJAM Parkway and then 2+ 3/4 loops going all the way to end of rockcliffr Parkway in east and going south on QE Parkway to PRETORIA bridge

T2 downtown near city Hall.

Run two loops of Col By + QE driveway up hill to Experimental farm

Looks like finish line near Chateau Laurier/Parliament Hill

I will post images of maps later but it may already be online now

Priority registration opens this afternoon general reg next week

Three year deal for starters

No 70.3 as the focus is selling out other 70.3s in region

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe asked if he can put a relay together and run the marathon haha

Any mention of a 5150 being part of the weekend like they do at some places (including Tremblant)?

They have listed the bike course as “rolling” but that must be a mistake. It is only ~325 m gain over 180 km, that is next to nothing.

They have listed the bike course as “rolling” but that must be a mistake. It is only ~325 m gain over 180 km, that is next to nothing.

The hardest part of the bike might be the bridge over the canal.

Westerlies can pick up on the entire length of the parkway

I know that Lake Placid 2024 currently has slots for Nice 2024 so they might do it here too, but it would seem odd to me to be giving slots for Nice so close to the actual race. Nice 2025 is on Sept 15th that year, so that only makes 6 weeks. I guess most people could turn around an IM in 6 weeks (the 2nd won’t be that great), but it would be much easier just to give out 2026 slots. Plus, if they slowly moved the qualifying dates backwards, they could virtually give out more slots per race per cycle.

I know that Lake Placid 2024 currently has slots for Nice 2024 so they might do it here too, but it would seem odd to me to be giving slots for Nice so close to the actual race. Nice 2025 is on Sept 15th that year, so that only makes 6 weeks. I guess most people could turn around an IM in 6 weeks (the 2nd won’t be that great), but it would be much easier just to give out 2026 slots. Plus, if they slowly moved the qualifying dates backwards, they could virtually give out more slots per race per cycle.

Back in the day I got a Kona slot at IMC Penticton on Aug 25 for Oct 6 Kona which I foolishly (or maybe smartly) declined

My guess is it is last qual race for current year if the race sells out but if registrations are slow then they use it as first qual race for 2026 to attract registrations.

Also there is a reception at Lieutenants pump tonight at 5 pm. Dave Fletcher from Ironman asked me to invite anyone who wants to drop in

Westerlies can pick up on the entire length of the parkway

Yeah the way back from Rockcliffe Parkway to Lincoln fields turnaround will be 35 I’m headwind on second loop for sure

For the folks that have been around a little longer - is it typical for registration to open this early for a new Ironman event?

Currently in the ‘waiting game’ wondering if IMLP is truly being discontinued post 2024, but don’t want to miss out on Ottawa as a back-up if registrations fill up quick…

Is there any intel on the timeline for when we might find out that IMLP is truly done?

For the folks that have been around a little longer - is it typical for registration to open this early for a new Ironman event?

Currently in the ‘waiting game’ wondering if IMLP is truly being discontinued post 2024, but don’t want to miss out on Ottawa as a back-up if registrations fill up quick…

Is there any intel on the timeline for when we might find out that IMLP is truly done?

Might be a good use of the flex90. Sign up for Ottawa and transfer to IMLP if you want later on

Good point. I’ll have to revisit the fine print - I had thought the Flex90 options only allowed to move a race to a future-dated race once you pick one and sign up. I might be totally wrong though!

How do you get offered priority registration?

Back in the day I got a Kona slot at IMC Penticton on Aug 25 for Oct 6 Kona which I foolishly (or maybe smartly) declined

My guess is it is last qual race for current year if the race sells out but if registrations are slow then they use it as first qual race for 2026 to attract registrations

Did they change the cutoff date recently? I seem to remember Ironman Texas saying that they were the only “same year qualifier” in North America, which would seem to suggest that they moved the dividing line to before Lake Placid - but Lake Placid’s site is unambiguously showing slots for the 24 WCs.

Just one update. The southern bike turnaround is QE driveway to Col By going over Bank St. Bridge not Pretoria bridge as I mentioned above.

Answering your question the Kona qual cutoff has been IM Tremblant weekend on third week of Aug in the past and then second week of Sep IM Wisconsin was first race for next year’s KQ cycle. With Nice world’s earlier that changes the picture

Curious as well. I am affiliated with a triclub and profile filled out online. No email sent snd multiple friends have registered

Edit add: i did not receive pre registration note because I unsubscribed all content from Ironman awhile back.

If Bank is the bridge that we’ll be crossing the canal, that might well be the only spot on the course that we’d need the small ring, though you could easily muscle up it since it’s short.

Maybe Rockcliffe parkway coming back up might be the other spot, but it’s been a while since I’ve biked up it.

If Bank is the bridge that we’ll be crossing the canal, that might well be the only spot on the course that we’d need the small ring, though you could easily muscle up it since it’s short.

Maybe Rockcliffe parkway coming back up might be the other spot, but it’s been a while since I’ve biked up it.

Yeah this is largely a big chainring or 1x bike course. What is your estimate on vertical (5x parliament hill , 6xsussex rollers, 5xwestwrn Parkway rollers, 3xbank climbs) . Maybe 600-700m total ?

Run course maybe 150m over two loops (2x Arboretum, 2xParliament hill, 2xBronson overpass)