Ironman Canada Bike Safety

Hello,

Just completed Ironman Canada in Penticton. Swim cancelled, totally understand the decision.

However, was not comfortable for much of the bike due to fully open roads, reckless drivers, and the dangerous combination of these factors.

Last IM I did was Whistler 2018, basically a closed lane or road at all times. Penticton was 95% fully shared, almost no cones for safety, little event staff presence, zero police on site. Multiple times watched aggressive drivers pass on solid lines with a train of cyclists in the bike lane, waiting to be the victim of stupidity. Absolutely presented to me as a underfunded underthought underprepared unprofessional unsafe race…

Is this course normal? Is it just me?

Hello,

Just completed Ironman Canada in Penticton. Swim cancelled, totally understand the decision.

However, was not comfortable for much of the bike due to fully open roads, reckless drivers, and the dangerous combination of these factors.

Last IM I did was Whistler 2018, basically a closed lane or road at all times. Penticton was 95% fully shared, almost no cones for safety, little event staff presence, zero police on site. Multiple times watched aggressive drivers pass on solid lines with a train of cyclists in the bike lane, waiting to be the victim of stupidity. Absolutely presented to me as a underfunded underthought underprepared unprofessional unsafe race…

Penticton roads were completely closed which was great. On the climbs, there were cones that gave cyclists one entire lane. Every intersection I went through had traffic control. And the volunteers everywhere were fantastic.

This was my 26th full and safety wise, I didn’t think it was any better or worse than any others. I did think that two slices of pizza at the finish said underfunded.

I was at a Bike Aid station and I was convinced someone was going to be hit on that road. The paid traffic control people were absolutely useless. It was like they were making it a game to see how small of a gap they could fit a car through. 1 cyclist came within inches of getting driven over by a car going from left to right, everyone was screaming except the traffic control people who were busy doing nothing. There was a 4 way intersection with a left turn for the course and it was often a mix of cyclists and cars all tangled up. It was so hard to watch. Not one driver seemed to be courteous at all either, not sure if it was stupidity or animosity.

You should have seen what it was like when there was twice the number of people in the race…
Ultraman on those highways on the August long weekend was worse…

Unfortunately the traffic control people are why the race is leaving town. The flagging companies merged and unionized after covid, and that race yesterday cost Ironman $250k in flagging fees. That’s why they can no longer afford to host the race. Such a shame that this is the reason, along with lower athlete numbers. To hear that they were not doing a good job adds insult to injury. I was fortunate enough to not experience any of those issues. The volunteers were amazing.

“Bryan!
Penticton roads were completely closed which was great. On the climbs, there were cones that gave cyclists one entire lane. Every intersection I went through had traffic control. And the volunteers everywhere were fantastic.”

Did you race yesterday? Genuinely curious because there were almost zero “closed roads.” It was “ride your bike in the somewhat gravelly unswept bike lane while cars fight for position at 90kmph on this 2 lane road.”

Don’t really know what you’re referencing…

I actually thought traffic control did a really good job. My comment is about the complete lack of cones, control, police, general “respect the racers” etc. once you left Penticton…

I know one person was hit by a truck on the bike, not sure how or where, but the bike leg was ripe for a major incident. I’m a city kid completely comfortable and confident riding in big cities, fyi…

Flagging requirements are dictated by provincial rules, not by the flaggers you’re demonizing.

I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with a govt transport bureaucracy as an RD.

“Bryan!
Penticton roads were completely closed which was great. On the climbs, there were cones that gave cyclists one entire lane. Every intersection I went through had traffic control. And the volunteers everywhere were fantastic.”

Did you race yesterday? Genuinely curious because there were almost zero “closed roads.” It was “ride your bike in the somewhat gravelly unswept bike lane while cars fight for position at 90kmph on this 2 lane road.”

Yes I did Andy. Main St. in downtown Penticton on the first out and back was completely closed as was Lakeside Dr. on the second out and back.

“Bryan!

Yes I did Andy. Main St. in downtown Penticton on the first out and back was completely closed as was Lakeside Dr. on the second out and back.

Are you talking about the run? The bike is a single loop.

“Bryan!

That leaves 90% of the course normal unsupported roads…

“Bryan!

Are you talking about the run? The bike is a single loop.

Main St. was closed for the bike and run out and back. Lakeside was closed for the run only.

“Bryan!

Yes it does and that’s why I said Penticton roads. Only Tremblant had a closed bike course. Kona isn’t even closed.

“Bryan!

Yes it does and that’s why I said Penticton roads. Only Tremblant had a closed bike course. Kona isn’t even closed.

Clearly I was referring to the Penticton race(which oddly includes the entire bike course), not Penticton the town. When I watch Kona, I literally never see 2 lane roads with cars constantly and often aggressively passing, at least on TV? I’m never asking for “closed” but yesterday was just, aside from intersections, the wild west. IM Canada Whistler was a bike LANE at all times.

I had the same issue last year. Particularly when I was fixing a flat in a spot with not a lot of room. I also raced there back in 2012 but the traffic was somewhat less.

I have done a couple races in Europe and it’s so nice compared to most North America venues. Better roads, zero or low traffic, and if there are cars the drivers are more careful.

Hello,

It can be a bit crazy.

I had a uk guy biking around me and through the seven sisters rollers he went middle car lane to pass the guy in front I could hear the traffic coming .

Yelled stay in the bike lane . Which therefore in theory he was drafting the guy up a head.
So what we were going. 13 km per hours and

About 6-8 large trucks and campers came by at over 80 km and the drivers had no way of seeing the other on coming lane over the rolling hill.

Once the cars passed I told the two guys from Europe

“ do not get killed here this is a dangerous section , draft for 5 seconds loss time it’s very dangerous. “

Which is why the aid station was removed from that road.

After the race he said thanks , put the priority of life back in place.

as he had no at first how dangerous it was but you go from 75 - 13 km very quickly and a car behind following is not ready for you to pull out onto the road.

Also willowbrook I had cars in my lane passing 70.3 people uphill while I was going very fast over 65 down hill on the edge of the road no bike lane .

Nutz but I ride a motorcycle so I can handle it more than others with space and comfort.

Overall roads are worse than ever with people ability to drive properly and share space . Everywhere , everyday

I don’t get it. (Europe here). Was most of the race course just… open to traffic?

I don’t get it. (Europe here). Was most of the race course just… open to traffic?

Yes. 2 lane roads, vehicles going both ways.

20-60k was vehicles desperately, dangerously, and poorly passing bikes in the “bike lane” while bikes are also settling into position regarding passing/drafting rules. 18 wheel truck/trailers 5 feet over doing their best, but aside multiple riders.

Climbs were fine, lane blocked off whenever 2 lanes uphill.

Much of the ensuing race was “bike lane mania” with cars constantly passing at 90, dangerous passing, no police presence, no constant “race in progress” signage…

I did not feel safe.

I raced Ironman Canada 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2008 and Sunday did the 70.3

My racing in Ontario involves a lot of races where the traffic is controlled, but traffic is out there. I have also raced 31 IM’s and probably over 100 halfs around the world and I found things were really nice on race day. The rolling start was a bit of a pain in the ass because of rider differential. Normally I am out early enough from the swim to not contend with a ton of differential, and it was problematic at times on Skaha lake going to McClean creek with a lake literally 4 feet from where you are riding.

But other than that, it was fine. On the 70.3 the 45-80km section was simply glorious. I rode completely solo that entire hilly leg on pristine tarmac. I got passed by a few bigger guys going back down to Penticton, but overall was very happy with the bike course. In fact so happy that I went out the next morning and rode the 70.3 bike course again, and dealing with all the traffic leaving down on Monday was a ton worse than the mild traffic and other riders on race day.

I am hoping that Challenge can come in and run a 70.3 there. That was simply one of the nicest 70.3 courses I have been on, but if the issue is $$$ for traffic people, then I see the challenge. I guess I will have to come back for the Skaha lake Ultra swim and just do my own bike camp. I forgot how nice the riding is in the South Okanagan

Another perspective:

Yes. some of the bike course was on 2 lane, country roads that experienced light vehicular traffic; the majority of the course on open highways, albeit with an adequately sized, paved shoulder.

20-60k (HWY97 OK Falls to Osoyoos) had some cyclist congestion due to the amended bike start (swim cancellation) but the southbound vehicular traffic was not doing 90kph in the “bike lane”. Any (every) large truck that passed me gave more than enough space and the bulk of the vehicles appeared to be friends and family casually following their athlete on the course.

Climbs were fine, full lane and shoulder coned off when heading uphill.

From Richter to Twin Lakes (HWY3 and 3A), cyclists had that ample shoulder and the highway was open to traffic in both directions. Like @Triathletetoth, I also witnessed the odd sketchy athlete, riding into the highway’s westbound lane, head down looking at “power numbers” and not paying attention to the rules of the road. Was there some highway traffic moving at highway speed here? Yes, but in my experience, the highway riding was “hand on heart” very comfortable. We all have different levels of comfort.

I may have experienced a couple more cars on the Willowbrook (compared to 2022); unlike @Triathletetoth, I was quite a bit further back than him and had no 70.3 congestion to deal with (again, nothing unexpected or sketchy)

I felt very safe the entire ride.