Impact of Olympic Road Race Gold on the Overall Palmares of This Winner

From what I see, this has never been done. Pros were not in the Olympics till the 90’s and I don’t recall anyone who has won the rainbow in TT and road (albeit in different years) and now Remco takes both Olympic gold medals titles in Paris.

Pretty solid right off the Tour De France block. Super congrats to team Belgium. He one upped Eddy Merckx on that, but Eddy never had a chance to Rainbow in TT and compete in the Olympics as a pro.

Before the Olympics, I felt Remco had a chance for this, but was unsure if the ITT course would help a smaller rider, but with the rain, it was an advantage being lighter on the turns, and on the road course, it was hard to know if there was enough elevation like LBL or Worlds in Aus a few years ago.

You truly go out of your way to be as obnoxious as possible.

So I finally get some free time to watch some Olympics today, one item in my queue being the men’s road race. While I’m watching some track and field live and waiting to watch the cycling replay to become available, I figure I’ll check Slowtwitch on my second screen, thinking that we’ve solved the spoiler problem. After all, there is the “Spoilers Bike racing spectator thread 2024”. Alas, Dev once again puts out a thread with a spoiler in the title. You just can’t help yourself. Why, oh why do you insist??? The remedy is just so simple: DON’T PUT THE RESULT IN THE THREAD TITLE. My god, it is so easy, but I guess your ego just takes over. Please, please, please stop!!!

Think we’ve been pretty clear about this.

Once the event is over, all bets are off.

We’ve allowed it for triathlon, we’re not going to put cycling in its own special box comparatively.

I’ve said previously why we allow it (mostly due to the fact that it brings in casual, non-forum members to read when stuff is timely). This is the rare exception where it hasn’t led to that, likely because the title isn’t all that descriptive of what actually happened, nor is there enough content within the thread itself to actually matter.

But here we are.

Who looks at any news or social media if they don’t want spoilers? I’m worried enough the icons on the peacock app will give it away. Definitely don’t click anywhere else until I’m finished.

So you can turn it around and blame your fidget addiction for bringing annoyance but ultimately likely saving you time to do something more productive.

Only person I have blocked, unfortunately that doesn’t prevent the endless threads started from showing up

Within an hour of an event finishing, on a Saturday morning, when many are out riding/running/etc., and before ANY replays are available anywhere, is not “timely.”

There were no replays available on Peacock, none on Eurosport, and not even anything on youtube.

It’s utterly asinine. That you placate such insolence is surprisingly unsurprising.

Only person I have blocked, unfortunately that doesn’t prevent the endless threads started from showing up

Same.

The block feature is utterly useless because of this.

That makes 3 of us…

It’s indefensible, and it’s not just cycling, it’s the Olympics. Look at how they are being covered and the schedule, it is virtually impossible for anyone to watch even a fraction of what’s going on in live time.

Out of the handful of forums I frequent this is the only place that would try and defend putting spoilers of any kind in a thread title.

All it takes is a little common courtesy to avoid the issue entirely.

Back to the sport side,

In the context of the Olympics, there is Marchand with 4xgolds in the 200’s (fly, breast IM) and 400IM and Summer McIntosh, also with multiple golds (200IM/400IM, 200 fly) and a silver in the 400 free. These are relatively “easy to predict”. The odds are hight that these swimmers will bag medals.

In the context of road cycling it we count track cycling as a different sport, there are only two events to medal at and even though Remco is a strong rider, the odds of him winning are way lower than Marchand and McIntosh due to all the things that can go wrong.

So just sweeping the road events is a high achievement relative to some of the other sports. It is probably harder than Mo Farah doing the 5000/10000m double (let’s see what Cheptagai can do now that he has the 10,000 bagged).

To the rest of the guys hating on finding out on the internet what is going on in the world, well that’s why CERN released the Hypertext Transfer Protocol in 1989. To get information in real time between computers and servers all over. We don’t have to wait for the big TV networks to give us news, it is available all over. A number of you who are vocal want the forum to be a pre internet zone.

Many of us started operating in a real time world by 1990 once we could get live info and are not going back to the dark ages of before the internet. In media pre and post internet availability titles always have the story summary, its just when you get it.

OK I see your point about not being able to watch all sports and being on top of them. I was toggling between track, rowing, cycling, tennis, soccer through the day and inherently fell behind on what happened in one place versus the other (still have not seen the women’s 100m finals, but I know the results because I was walking through a store that had them on the monitor)

I agree it is impossible to stay on top of all of them simultaneuously. But should a sport forum not discuss an amazing accomplishment during the Olympics in real time? By tomorrow Remco’s wins are an old story. There will be new champions in a variety of sports.

If no one generates content the forum is dead, but you came on here to tell us to not post a topic. How exactly do we discuss Remco taking all these titles without saying what the topic of the thread is?

But if you were going to watch the cycling don’t you think this is insanely cool? Indurain never did it, Lance could not, Contador never did, Ekimov never did it, countless rainbow jerseys on the road never won the rainbow in TT, Froome could not pull it off.

It seems Tadej has the DNA to do it, but hasn’t pulled together any rainbow jersey wins and zero golds in the olympics. Maybe by next round he bags all four too in addition to every other race his wins just by being at the start line.

. Look at how they are being covered and the schedule, it is virtually impossible for anyone to watch even a fraction of what’s going on in live time.

Really?..“it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to watch even a FRACTION of what’s going on”…Think about what you wrote…

The whole world does not live in your time zone.

Think we’ve been pretty clear about this.

Once the event is over, all bets are off.

We’ve allowed it for triathlon, we’re not going to put cycling in its own special box comparatively.

I’ve said previously why we allow it (mostly due to the fact that it brings in casual, non-forum members to read when stuff is timely). This is the rare exception where it hasn’t led to that, likely because the title isn’t all that descriptive of what actually happened, nor is there enough content within the thread itself to actually matter.

But here we are.

i don’t quite agree with this in this case. i watched all the track and field. i watched all the swimming. i didn’t get a chance yet to watch the road race. but now i know the result. i think a lot of people are like me. the olympics are a different kind of animal because there is so much to watch. i think we could manage to keep spoiler out of thread titles for the olympics.

I’m well aware that everyone doesn’t live in my timezone.

The fact is no matter where someone lives there are multiple Olympic events going on concurrently for several hours every day right now.

No matter where you live you’re aren’t watching all of the Olympic events live. You might have a room full of tv’s all tuned to the different events, but I stick with what I said.

And in the end, I’ll argue that none of that really matters. It is unnecessary to reveal the outcome of an event in the thread title. Additionally there are numerous threads already in the forum, without spoilers in the title, where the outcome could have been discussed without ruining it for anyone.

A spoiler that close to the end of an event is a spoiler, what timezone any of us is currently standing in has nothing to do with that fact.

Perhaps just going with the individual event in question (e.g., a men’s road race discussion) would have quashed that for the time being.

But…considering that you go on literally any Internet site at this point, and you’re getting Olympics spoilers (FB, Twitter, Instagram, CNN, ESPN, and yes, other forums)…I don’t know how reasonable it is to expect to go anywhere online and not have a spoiler shown to you.

This image was at the top of cyclingnews today at 7 pm CET (dinner time in Belgium). I missed the end of the race (out training between events) but knew right away what happened. That’s fine as I was on the internet and exposing myself to the world and immediately realized that Remco holds this unique set of wins in his palmares that no one EVER has achieved. I think that quad is the topic, not really the road race itself (it is only one of the four wins)

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/Vqb2J7o4Ccn6D9gCPhLyhW-1920-80.jpg.webp

So you ruined it for yourself and couldn’t resist returning the favor???

What the story is after he won isn’t the point. The point is it is unnecessary to put event results in a thread title, even more so when there are already other threads where you could have discussed your thoughts on what the story was without ruining it for anyone else.

Perhaps just going with the individual event in question (e.g., a men’s road race discussion) would have quashed that for the time being.

But…considering that you go on literally any Internet site at this point, and you’re getting Olympics spoilers (FB, Twitter, Instagram, CNN, ESPN, and yes, other forums)…I don’t know how reasonable it is to expect to go anywhere online and not have a spoiler shown to you.

None of those sites have a “don’t be a dick rule”

You can create a catching title to bring people into a thread without having to use a spoiler, without knowingly and intentionally pissing off people.

Most people on this forum seem to have got it.

Can we get a feature request ? Don’t show threads created by people on our ignore list.

I followed sports pre internet and had to source infor after the fact. One year I got the girl who worked at the reception at the Kona surf resort to stand in the parking lot and write down time of day when the top ten pros came back to T2 and then I called my friends to give them the leaderboard because we had no live results.

So these days, many of us either watch sport live or know results will be in our face if we get on the internet or TV and are excited to know asap. Nothing is spoiled for us getting to know stories instantly.

There’s a reason I chose to block you on this forum long ago, I don’t really need a reminder.

Have a good day.